Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultima 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:23 am 

Hey guys! Quickly running out of snes rpgs to play. I even (gasp) played AND beat Drakkhen and Brandish (Brandish is actually really good once you get used to the camera angle).

Next on the list to tackle: Ultima 7. Not sure I have ever played anything like it. Maybe Darkstone for the psx? Any way, any tips anyone wants to offer? I am in the second town, Paws. The game does not seem too bad so far. Trying to get a feel for how much leveling is required in this game. I am at level 3 now. Seems that like Silva Saga, you need to look EVERY WHERE for items.

Thoughts on Ultima 7? Tips and hints

Post subject: Re: Ultima 7
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:10 am 

Ultima 7 was one of my favorite games, particularly the second Serpent Isle. Leveling is not as important in Ultima 7 as in other games, but I would still try gather experience, it lets you use higher level magic. Finding good trainers for stat increases is probably more important. Its definitely a game that has a lot of hidden items everywhere and you can find some pretty good equipment by doing so. I would try to keep as many bags as possible and try to keep your items organized by categories. Be careful with your keys, the game does not keep them organized for you. You might want to have one bag for keys you have found uses for, and another with keys that you have been unable to use yet. Serpent's Isle's add on Silver Seed gives you an automatic key ring that fixes this problem for good.

You can get up to 8 characters, there are benefits and drawbacks for it though. Its a lot easier to lose a character to death, but you can also bring on a lot more offense too for powerful enemies like dragons. Personally, I liked having 8 characters because I could pass out all of the great equipment I had found, and honestly the dungeons are very small in the game so its not that hard to bring back a character.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:39 am 

Wait, so Ultima 7 for the snes, you can have more than one character? it is not just solo? Sounds good!

THANKS for the advice!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:56 am 

I think Ultima 7 for the SNES only allows one and its a horrible butchering of the game. I would avoid it like the plague. The PC version holds up pretty well though, you can use DOSBox to get it to work.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:00 am 
Site Admin

I believe most Western RPGs are pretty much always far superior on the PC ;) Heck, these days just about everything is better when it's on PC. That is, if you have a good system.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:00 am 

Ya, kind of an odd game. Can't really feel a connection with it. Just kind of getting through it but not really sure how. Maybe it gets harder? Just beat the bee cave and looking for those wisp things in the forest with the lantern. So I reckon Ultima 6 for the snes must be pretty bad? Just killing my (free) time with these last few snes rpgs before the gems are translated, figure it could be soon!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:49 pm 

Ultima 6 was actually pretty faithful to the PC version. I never played the SNES version, but it is usually considered the best console version of Ultima. I would really consider playing Ultima 7 on a PC, its an outstanding game, and the second part of Ultima 7 never came out on consoles. Here is a link on Ultima 7. It also makes a few negative comments about the SNES version.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ultima/ultima8.htm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:07 pm 

I will give 6 a try, 7 was pretty subpar. Not horrible, but very average and very easy. Just beat it, nothing special.

7 for the PC actually looks pretty bad ass. Added to the que.

edit: Just read about Ultima: Runes of Virtue (I think the name is). Heard it was superior to Ultima 7 snes and pretty decent overall. Might give that a try too, and I want to check out Brandish 2 as Brandish actually grew on me and was a game I kind of actually liked.

Thanks for all the advice!