Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Which Dynamic Design projects are you most intersted in?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:07 am 

Akazukin Cha Cha - Partial Translations
And here is some guy's topic on RHDN who was trying to translate the game. I even forgot that i was posting there when i was trying to translate it too, but I'm noob and couldn't do any ASM hacks for font etc.

Bakumatsu Kourinden Oni - Yonin No Translations
And here ninth post where Gideon Zhi says he got font work from... Bongo

That's all I remember.

[EDIT UP]
Yeah, forgot about Ys V. I'm a little fan of redhead Adol ;) and whole Ys series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Those are some pretty cool looking games. I remember looking at a few of those games a while back. I hope they get done some time soon though. It almost feels like Either D-D or AGTP will eventually end up translating the game(s). :|

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:26 am 
Site Admin

Master Chen wrote:
Well, I have played Phantasy Star Gaiden, Ranma 1/2 RPG and Mystic Ark of the Dynamic Designs translations, so far.
Planning to start a full walk-through of "THE SLAYERS" for SNES after it's translation will be complete.
Welcome! That new Slayers FAQ/WT is something I will look forward to seeing. Much can be explored and possibly discovered. For example, I took Black Fox away from the linear game and used his special skill to steal a lot of useful items from foes in areas where he was not part of the story. With a lot of work, we could learn what various enemies carry. They don't drop items, but Black Fox is available again late in the game.

Don't overlook Lennus-II, Feda also if you enjoy SRPGs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:02 am 
Site Admin

Hmm... I wonder how hard it would be to translate a psx game.... Bongo`? Any thoughts :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Master Chen wrote:
Quote:
I wonder how hard it would be to translate a psx game....

Well, I was trying to find any information about overall measurements of the difficulties on making translations between old (low-weighting) games, and big ones (over 100+ MB of info) that is on consoles that use discs (like Sega Saturn, PSOne, PS 2, Dreamcast and etc.)...
There is several groups out there that succeeded at translating some of the PSOne games previously (Tobal 2, Tales of Phantasia) and even PS 2 (Front Mission 5, Namco X Capcom) too.

The most annoying thing out there, is of course, the size of any disc-based game: to completely translate even one game that is much larger than 200 MB in size (Little Princess+1, for example...two discs, 789 MB total), you need to spend at least 1 or 2 years, I think (depends on the game).

Well, even though the "Infinite Lupine" group that did translation of Tobal 2 stated that there is not much text in the game, after playing it I can pretty well point out that it's not so. There is not very much text if compared to any standard J-RPGs out there, but in RPG-mode (Tobal 2 is a fighting game, but there is an RPG-mode with it's own plot installed in) there is quite a lot of text. And the main guy in that project stated that they did the translation in a one month time window, or somewhere around that (maybe one and a half?). By playing translated Tobal 2 so far, I can say that the translation is almost full and everything works fine so far - so it's manageable to do a translation of a PSOne game, I guess (+- the time it takes, due to size of any game and the text in it, of course it's not possible to completely translate something like "SLAYERS ROYAL" in a month or two, games like that need a lot more time).

There is also a group called "Absolute Zero" out there that made full translation of Tales of Phantasia for PSOne, and that one is absolutely completed and works fine. They did that translation in about one year, or so...so I guess that the medium time window for making a full translation of a standard J-RPG for PSOne is around 1 year (well, it can take a lot longer, it depends on the game that people works on, translating group's skill, the number of people that is working on project, and on their overall motivation level, of course...).

So I think that it's not all that impossible after all. It's just that it will take A LOT more time and strength.
I'm no authority on translating a disk game, but I have played plenty, and I find them no more lengthy to beat than a long 8 or 16 bit RPG. The dialogue seems no longer either, so I imagine writing the story of a typical disk RPG would be about the same amount of work. Therefore, I would speculate that all that extra bulk in megabytes (maybe even gigabytes) is all the fluff added in with a basic story - fancier space-hungry graphics, video scenes, music soundtracks stored maybe in wave file format, etc. But bigger doesn't necessarily mean better to me. The story is what counts. If a game has a riveting story, it's just as good in 2010 and it was in 1995.

As for lengths of time, I don't see a PSx, PS2, or Saturn game taking any longer in patch production, once the technical procedures have been reverse-engineered and a basic insertion structure program has been coded and set in place. Our 8 and 16-bit projects typically require 1-2 years of actual sustained work - counting translation time. Where I do see potentially increased production time for disk games, however, are in the realms of voice dub translations and subscript translations for full motion video segments.

When we release Slayers, some people may agree with us that an untapped gold mine of 16-bit RPGs is still available - great games and stories we had all along, but no one had unlocked previously. People may also realize that Nintendo of America would have never released a commercial Slayers game in the mid-1990s, written in the gritty, realistic style of ours! I hope that some mainstream players still don't assume that Square and Enix were the only companies capable of producing fun RPGs that deserve translation. With more rich resources such as Slayers still out there, I hope someone will translate all of them eventually, disk, cart, or otherwise.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:39 pm 
Wildbill wrote:
I'm no authority on translating a disk game, but I have played plenty, and I find them no more lengthy to beat than a long 8 or 16 bit RPG.

Sorry to disagree with you Bill, but after playing a lot of PSX and PS2 RPGs, and some 16-bits ones too. I got a feeling that PSX and PS2 ones are bigger.
On 16-bits era, and the average RPG, I used to take something like 35 hours average, to finish, with all extras.
On PSX, this average time rised up to somethin like 45 hours, and on PS2, it rose to something like 60 hours.

Of course there are some that are very different from these numbers, but I'm talking about average between all games I played.
Even so, I guess, most of the lenghty on a CD/DVD based game translation has more to do with technical difficulties, than script size.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:44 pm 

The real difference is, besides knowing the console core, the way info is stored and later repacked since the medium is different...other than that, no biggie I figure.
There are plenty tools abound dealing with disc based consoles (even some saturn documents have been popping around, and saturn is much harder to handle than PS1) so its more a matter of picking something and giving it a go, to see how well it can be done.

Persona Tsumi for example is for the PS1, never released overseas and a prequel to innocent Sin. From what I've played of it, its pretty cleanly done, so its not as if
any bittage above 16 is a chimera of a project. The pre requisites never change: Technical know-how, translator(s), a hell lot of testing and dedication and love in all these areas. If others have done it, so can we, if the motivation and opportunity presents.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:46 pm 

Master Chen wrote:
Well, I have played Phantasy Star Gaiden, Ranma 1/2 RPG and Mystic Ark of the Dynamic Designs translations, so far.
Planning to start a full walk-through of "THE SLAYERS" for SNES after it's translation will be complete.

Well, there is some titles I'd really love to see translated by Dynamic Designs(Only the suggestions and some fan-boy dreams, don't get them as a serious matter...well, unless you really ARE planning to do those...?O_o):

SLAYERS ROYAL, SLAYERS ROYAL 2, SLAYERS WONDERFUL (PSOne, both "ROYALS" were made for Sega Saturn too, but PSOne versions are WAY better).

Genso Suiko Gaiden Vol. 1: Harmonia no Kenshi, Genso Suiko Gaiden Vol. 2: Crystal Valley no Kettou (Both are for PSOne).

VOLFOSS (PSOne).

Bahamut Lagoon (SNES, was released for Nintendo Wii lately, but still Japan-only).

Radical Dreamers (SNES).

Little Princess+1: Marl Oukoku No Ningyo Hime 2 (PSOne - a.k.a. "Rhapsody 2"...a real pain in the...).

Tenshi No Present: Marl Oukoku Monogatari (....PS 2... a.k.a "Rhapsody 3" or "Marl Gaiden"...no translation attempts by anyone, so far...)

If we have the means, I personally support working on the PS1 Slayers games, although for obvious reasons, Bahamut Lagoon and Radical Dreamers should be left be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:24 am 

I stand corrected, thanks Master Chen.
Still my point from the begining was stating disc based systems aren't the ultimate incarnation of nightmare.