Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Post subject: Re: Recommend an RPG for me please (any rpgs I am missing)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:15 pm 

umeshoryu wrote:
Interesting thread.
So much that I felt compelled to register and post and revive the thread. :)
Seems like we have somewhat similar taste in games.
Just out of curiosity, do you aim for speed (beat the final boss as soon as possible) or completeness (find every treasure/character/secret) when playing RPGs?

LOL! i'm more of a completist, i try to find EVERY treasure, character, secret a game has to offer rather than speed to the end and
be an utter noob and EPIC FAIL on the last boss. OH! and thanks for the ZSNES save-states poyon skill offset codes over at
gamehacking.org .. welcome to Dynamic Designs.. enjoy your visit here :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:45 am 

If it is a really good game, I aim for completeness. If the game is mediocre than probably speed if I finish it at all. If the game is from an important series, I more than likely aimed for the former.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:07 pm 

I'm a completionist myself, striving for a perfect game when possible.
But I do use cheats / save game hacks to avoid the grindier aspects of RPG gaming though ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:32 pm 

Just to keep this thread alive, this is my list of beaten games:

SNES:
7th saga
actraiser
ancient magic
arabian nights
arcana
bahamut lagoon
big sky troopers
bishoujo senshi sailor moon another story
brainlord
breath of fire
breath of fire 2
chou mahou tairiku wozz
chrono trigger
crystal beans from dungeon explorer
cyber knight
cyber knight 2
daikaijuu monogatari
dark half
der langrisser
dragon ball z chou saiya densetsu
dragon quest 1 and 2
dragon quest 3
dragon quest 5
dragon quest 6
dragon view
dual orb 2
earth bound
eien no filena
emerald dragon
energy breaker
equinox
evo
final fantasy 2
final fantasy 3
final fantasy 5
fire emblem monshou no nazo
front mission
front mission gun hazard
galaxy robo
gemfire
gunple
herakles no eikou 3
horai gakuen no bouken
hourai gakuen no bouken
illusion of gaia
inindo
kidou senshi gundam cross dimension
kouryudensetsu villgust
kuusou kagaku gulliver boy
lagoon
legend of zelda
lennus 2
live a live
lodoss tou senki
lufia
lufia 2
madou monogatari hanamaru daiyouchi enji
magic knights rayearth
magna braban
metal max returns
monstania
mystic ark
mystic quest
nekketsu tairiku burning heroes
neugier
paladins quest
ranma akanekodan no hihou
robotrek
romancing saga 3
rudora no hihou
ryuki heidan danzarb
secret of evermore
secret of mana
secret of the stars
seiken densetsu 3
shadowrun
shin megami tensei (law path)
shodai nekketsu kouha kuniokun
silva saga 2
slayers
soulblazer
spike mcfang
super adventure island 2
super mario rpg
tales of phantasia
tenchi muyou
terranigma
torneko no daibouken
treasure hunter g
yoshis island
ys 3
ys 4
ys 5
yume meikyuu

Genesis/SegaCD:
buck rodgers
crusader of centy
dnd warriors of the eternal sun
exile
faery tale adventure
landstalker
light crusader
lunar
might and magic 2
phantasy star 2
phantasy star 3
phantasy star 4
shining force
shining in the darkness
sorcerers kingdom
starflight
sword of vermilion
traysia
warsong
wonderboy 5

XBox:
baldur's gate dark alliance
baldur's gate dark alliance 2
fable the lost chapters
fallout brotherhood of steel
x-men legends 2

PC:
darksun
darksun 2
dune
dune 2
immortal
lands of lore
might and magic 3
might and magic 4 & 5 (world of xeen)
might and magic 6
might and magic 7
might and magic 8
rise of the dragon
swords of xeen
urquan masters (star control 2)

In my to-play list:
SNES:
dark law (current playing!)
feda
shin megami tensei 2
kyuukaku megami tensei
romancing saga
fushigi no dungeon 2
star ocean
chaos seed
dai 3 ji super robot taisen
ogre battle
tactics ogre
clock tower
holy umbrella
jojo no kimyou na bouken

Genesis/Sega CD:
beggar prince
beyond oasis
legend of wukong
lunar 2
pier solar
shadowrun
shining force 2

PC:
way too many to list :P

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:19 pm 

All 4 paths beaten in Der Langrisser??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:57 pm 

Haven't you played Shining Force 2 yet? It's a pretty big improvement over the first one in almost every way, starting for the much more balanced level up system, which I remember being one of the sweetest things to not worry about the growth of my characters as much as other Strategy RPGs...

It's one of my favourite games for that system, so much fun, the music, the sense of a bigger adventure, I want to play it again now... I even wasted my time making a mod to mix things up when i want to do a different run of the game.

Genesis' Shadowrun was pretty damn impressive. It's like Fallout, before fallout. In my modest opinion I think it has aged better than Fallout in some ways.

Chaos Seed for Super Famicom should be banned, it's too addicting. Jesus Christ, the combination of different gameplay elements was brilliant.

For Super Famicom there was one called Dream Maze that was translated. It is a first person RPG, with the twist that you travel through dreams with enemies being all kind of toys, some of them are actually animated costumes that when you defeat you can wear!

You can improve them to have more abilities and be stronger. It's weird yet fun.

Seeing that there are a few 2D-Action games with small RPG touches here and there, you may want to look up Popful Mail for the Sega CD.

It's some kind of Wonder Boy in Monster World kind of game, where you get different characters to play with and you explore big levels. It has a lot of charm and humour, and some of the best intentional cheesy dialogues i've seen. And it's apparent right from the introduction, where one character makes a Total Recall reference.

It's really fun.

I don't know if you have access to a Wii, but there were a couple of interesting gems, like Chocobo Dungeon (Mystery Dungeon type of game plus a class system, spells and FF music? YES PLEASE) or Arc Rise Fantasia, that while it has a not so great dub (Although it's pretty hilarious if you like House of the Dead / Resident Evil 1) the battle system was really, really addicting. It was made by the guys that did Tales of Symphonia. another fantastic RPG for GameCube.

And if you're into experimental / Weird and unique RPGs, there is Opoona. Visually it looks too much like a DreamCast game, but seeing the ammount of games you have played I think you don't care about visuals too much.

Sorry for the wall of text.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:48 am 

You should try playing Shining Force 3, it is also a significant improvement over Shining Force 2. While only the first scenario was actually released on the Sega Saturn in English, all 3 scenarios and the bonus disk have been fan translated and its not too hard to play on an emulator.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:21 am 

kain611 wrote:
All 4 paths beaten in Der Langrisser??

Nope. The translation patch I have is pretty broken at the end, didnt really feel like replaying.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:29 am 

Maeson wrote:
Haven't you played Shining Force 2 yet? It's a pretty big improvement over the first one in almost every way, starting for the much more balanced level up system, which I remember being one of the sweetest things to not worry about the growth of my characters as much as other Strategy RPGs...

It's one of my favourite games for that system, so much fun, the music, the sense of a bigger adventure, I want to play it again now... I even wasted my time making a mod to mix things up when i want to do a different run of the game.

It's in my to play list. I'll get to it at some point.

Quote:
Genesis' Shadowrun was pretty damn impressive. It's like Fallout, before fallout. In my modest opinion I think it has aged better than Fallout in some ways.

Also in my list. Agree about Shadowrun. I really enjoyed the SNES version.

Quote:
Chaos Seed for Super Famicom should be banned, it's too addicting. Jesus Christ, the combination of different gameplay elements was brilliant.

Put this on the backburner for now, still figuring out how the dungeon building works.

Quote:
For Super Famicom there was one called Dream Maze that was translated. It is a first person RPG, with the twist that you travel through dreams with enemies being all kind of toys, some of them are actually animated costumes that when you defeat you can wear!

You can improve them to have more abilities and be stronger. It's weird yet fun.

This is Yume Meikyu in Japanese. Beaten it. Overall a pretty simple game.

Quote:
Seeing that there are a few 2D-Action games with small RPG touches here and there, you may want to look up Popful Mail for the Sega CD.

It's some kind of Wonder Boy in Monster World kind of game, where you get different characters to play with and you explore big levels. It has a lot of charm and humour, and some of the best intentional cheesy dialogues i've seen. And it's apparent right from the introduction, where one character makes a Total Recall reference.

It's really fun.

Heard of Popful Mail. Didnt know it was an RPG/RPG-like game.

Quote:
I don't know if you have access to a Wii, but there were a couple of interesting gems, like Chocobo Dungeon (Mystery Dungeon type of game plus a class system, spells and FF music? YES PLEASE) or Arc Rise Fantasia, that while it has a not so great dub (Although it's pretty hilarious if you like House of the Dead / Resident Evil 1) the battle system was really, really addicting. It was made by the guys that did Tales of Symphonia. another fantastic RPG for GameCube.

And if you're into experimental / Weird and unique RPGs, there is Opoona. Visually it looks too much like a DreamCast game, but seeing the ammount of games you have played I think you don't care about visuals too much.

Sorry for the wall of text.

No more console for me though. Pretty much PC these days. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:15 am 

Thought this would be a good place to insert this link to a big retrospective of Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre that HG101 just uploaded yesterday. It covers 4 major games and a side story game in the franchise.
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/ogreba ... battle.htm

Blurb on front page [Note the mispelling of the legendary composer Hitoshi Sakimoto, with the t in it. It shouldn't be r there! :shock: But his name is spelt correctly in all four pages of the feature and there are several links about him on the fourth and last page.]:
Quote:
The legendary SRPG series from Quest, designed and written by Yasumi Matsuno and with music by Hitoshi Sakimoro and Masaharu Iwata, this article also covers the hugely influential Tactics Ogre spinoff.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next