Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 12:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
Post subject: Recommend an RPG for me please (any rpgs I am missing)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:42 am 

Hi, I hope this topic is okay. Maybe it can be a topic especially for those looking for recommendations. I want to make the list to see if there is anything I am missing.

At this point I am afraid I have exhausted 90% of the rpgs there are to play for the snes and psx and the last 10% probably are not that great..or I am odd and did not like them

#1. snes played and beaten. This means, if I beat it, I most likely liked it:
7th Saga, Brainlord, Breath of fire, Breath of fire 2, Chou Mahou Tairiku Wozz, Chrono trigger (x2), Dark Law: Meaning of death, Dragon Quest 6, Dual Orb 2, Earthbound, Emerald Dragon, Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3 (x2), Final Fantasy 5 (x2), Final Fantasy MQ (x2), Illusion of Gaia (x2), Legend of Zelda (x3), Lennus 2, Lufia, Lufia 2, Monstania, Mystic ark, Paladins Quest, Robotrek (x2), Secret of Mana (x2), Secret of Evermore (x2), Seiken Denestu, Star Ocean, EVO: Search for Eden, Super Mario RPG, Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma, Treasure Hunter G, Tenchi Muyo, Adventure of Hourai High, Villgust, Eien No Filena..EDIT 12/24: Dragon Quest 1, Dragon Quest 2, Dragon Quest 3 (all snes remake versions), Dragon Quest 5, Glory of Hercules 3, Live a Live, Rudra no Hihou, Slayers, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Magic Knight Rayearth (edit): Shin Megma Tensi 2, SMT 1, Megami tensei 1 and 2 for snes, jojos biazare adventure, ys 3, ys 5, ultima 7, brandish, Magna Braban, Dragon View, Ys4, Front Mission, Alchest, Lagoon, shadowrun, Tecmo secret of the stars, Twisted tales of spike mcfang, crystal beans, Arcana, The journey home, Arabian Nights, Energy Breaker, FEDA, Front mission, record of a lodoss war, cyber knight, cyber knight 2, silva saga, mobile suit 0079, ancient magic, dragon squad dranzarb, super ninja boy, soulblazer, gunmans proof, madou montogatari, neugier, holy umbrella, Lord of the rings, super shell monsters, dark half, Herakles no Eikou 4, Bahamut Lagoon, 3x3, Dream Maze, Xak 3, Far east of eden, Princess Minerva, Last bible 3, La wares, GOD, SRW3 and Gaiden, Galaxy robo, Fire Emblem 3

#2. psx played and beaten:
Alundra, Alundra 2, Breath of fire 3 (x2), Breath of fire 4, Chrono cross, Darkstone, Dragon quest 7, Final Fantasy 7, Final Fantasy 8, Final Fantasy 9, Final Fantasy Tactics, Grandia, Granstream saga, Kings Field, Legend of Legaia, Legend of Mana, Lunar SSSC (x2), Lunar EB, Parasite eve, Parasite eve 2, Persona (x2), Rhapsody, Star Ocean 2 (x2), Suikoden (x2), Suikoden 2, Tales of Destiny, Tales of Destiny 2, Thread of Fate, Valkyrie Profile, Vandal Hearts, Vandal Hearts 2, Wild arms (x2), Wild arms 2, Xenogears, Arc the lad edit: eternal eyes, legacy of kain blood omen, Journey west, vanguard bandit, shadow madness, beyond the beyond

#3. Obvious ones on my slate but I am not ready to play now:
edit 9/5 Maybe Der Langrisser.

#4. Ones that seem intriguing for some reason
Dragon Valor

#5. Played and did not like (for whatever reason, call me odd but I just did not like):
Obitus, Saga Frontier 3/Romancing saga 3 (more because it lacks a solid polished translation) Persona 2 EP, Der Langisser, Dark Half (simply because it lacks a complete translation), Brave Fencer Mushasi (got alll the way to the end and could not get passed that dang dancing part, ugh), Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant story, Inindo

#6 Never played and not interested
Eye of the beholder, Wizardy, Might and Magic 2 and 3, (call me crazy but..) Tactic orge, Azure dreams, chocobos dungeon Jade cocoon, Guardians crusade, Shadow tower

#7 Not sure
Thousand Arms, Kouldeka, Saga Frontier

Waiting translation and are very obvious choices once complete (maybe this gives you an idea of what attracts me prior to actual gameplay):
Aretha 2, Traverse Starlight & Prairie, Elfaria 2

Soo...sorry for the long winded topic, but any snes or psx rpg I am missing? I am not at all interested in the rpgs listed for #5 or #6, sorry. But the ones in #1 and #2 I liked all of them and even played some twice (hence the "(x2)" which means those are ones I especially liked or if I played more than one in the series, I like the style.

Last edited by DoubleDvideogames on Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Recommend an RPG for me please (any rpgs I am missing)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:12 am 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Rudra No Hihou (could not get into it because spells are too confusing but otherwise promising, 50% done but quit)

Give this one another chance, its not that the spell system is confusing, just takes a lot of trial and error.
Think of it this way, you have potentially all spells in the game at any given time, just play around with the syllabes.
Quote:
Bahumut Lagoon, Der Langisser Front Mission (snes), Tactics Ogre

They're all great games, but it seems you are not a SRPG fan, and these play a lot differently than a straightforward RPG.
Front Mission especially, demands you to think things throughly while customizing Wanzers, I understand it can be tedious.
Quote:
Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story

These demand very distinct play style despite being RPGs, they can come out with a rather niche feeling.

Quote:
Thousand Arms

Plays like a traditional RPG, nice animations, but it felt a little tedious to me.

Quote:
Kouldeka

I believe Taskforce knows this one well, he could better advise.

A Snes RPG I really like also is Metal Max Returns, quite a gem.

When you say Seiken Densetsu do you mean Seiken Densetsu 3?

Don't worry about the topic size, you're among friends here and few things are nicer than a good idea exchange.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:06 am 
Site Admin

I'm trying to recall everything you said from memory, so pardon me if I cross up something, but based upon what I recall reading, you can download Mystic Ark, Lennus-II, Ranma, and Destiny of an Emperor-II patches right here. I would also suggest Paladin's Quest, DQ-VI, VII, and VIII, Shadow Hearts, Phantasy Star-IV, Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar Eternal Blue, Breath of Fire II and III, and Suikoden I through IV. I could keep going (Zelda-III, Super Mario RPG), but this is enough to keep anyone busy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:00 am 

I'd personally recommend Front Mission: Gun Hazard, which is more action/rpg and platformer than anything else. Great game, great story. Give Cyber Knight 2 a try too; read a synopsis for CK1. CK2 is way, way better. Also try Gunman's Proof and Metal Max Returns!

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:48 am 

Yeah I actually did suggest Metal Max Returns.
Also GZ, any updates on Maso Kishin - Lord Of Elemental?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:02 am 

Red Soul wrote:
Yeah I actually did suggest Metal Max Returns.

Thanks, I think this is the one I will try next. It seems like it could have a real unique story, and that is what I have been going for lately, the different story lines (just replayed Persona and played Eien No Filena for the first time. As well as Hourai High not too long ago, all of which were very unique IMO.

Red Soul wrote:
Give this one another chance, its not that the spell system is confusing, just takes a lot of trial and error.
Think of it this way, you have potentially all spells in the game at any given time, just play around with the syllabes.

I'll give it a try. I think part of it was I was sick when I gave it a try so most of the time I felt like sleeping almost as soon as I played it.

Quote:
Bahumut Lagoon, Der Langisser Front Mission (snes), Tactics Ogre

Red Soul wrote:
They're all great games, but it seems you are not a SRPG fan, and these play a lot differently than a straightforward RPG.
Front Mission especially, demands you to think things throughly while customizing Wanzers, I understand it can be tedious.

Hmmm..Yah, maybe srpgs are not my forte. However, I did like FFT, Vandal Hearts 1 and 2, Monstania, Treasure Hunter G and Tenchi Muyo. I think they all have things in common, in regards to interface and style. Energy Breaker appeals to me very much so as well, and is probably similar to the aforementioned games. Bahamut Lagoon I really want to like, and will probably come back to eventually.

Quote:
Legend of Dragoon, Vagrant Story

Red Soul wrote:
These demand very distinct play style despite being RPGs, they can come out with a rather niche feeling.

When I started LoD, it was just after beating FF8, so maybe another 4 discs just seemed too epic for me at the time.

But just yesterday I finished Eien No Filena, which seemed too short to me (under 15 hours), so maybe I am in need of an epic, in which case I might be ready for LoD?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:20 am 

Wildbill wrote:
I'm trying to recall everything you said from memory, so pardon me if I cross up something, but based upon what I recall reading, you can download Mystic Ark, Lennus-II, Ranma, and Destiny of an Emperor-II patches right here. I would also suggest Paladin's Quest, DQ-VI, VII, and VIII, Shadow Hearts, Phantasy Star-IV, Lunar Silver Star Story, Lunar Eternal Blue, Breath of Fire II and III, and Suikoden I through IV. I could keep going (Zelda-III, Super Mario RPG), but this is enough to keep anyone busy.

I beat MA about six weeks ago and loved that game, it was a blast. I just tried playing 7th saga again two days ago and sadly I can not save anymore on that :(.

Lennus 2 I beat nearly 3.5 months ago and again, loved that game! In fact it was what made me play PQ again, because I wanted more of the style, etc... both games were loads of fun!

Ranma/DE2 - Have not heard much about them, but I can add them to my very short list (Metal Max than maybe Slayers, than those two games), thanks.

DQ 6 and 7 - 7 was, in a word, epic. Six was pretty cool but I found it to be long and tedious to master some of the classes and my game always froze right at the end, on the second form of the last boss :( d'oh. If 8 is good, I will give it a try.

PS4 - I never could get into that game. Maybe as an older more mature person, I will like it.

Lunar games - SSSC was so much fun the first time I played shortly after its release and still a lot of fun when I replayed it this past January. I played EB when it first came out and don't recall liking it as much, or getting the same feel as I did from SSSC.

BoF 1/2/3/4 - Loved BoF3, one of my all time fave games! I just finished a replay of that on the 29th of July and it was as fun this time around as when I played it around 1999/2000. 2 was a little more tedious for me, though the story was awesome and 1 is somewhere in between. I have little memory of 4, though I played it right after it was released so that was a long time ago.

Suikoden 1 and 2- the first is another Top 10 (probably) for me, amazing amazing game. 2, had a lot to live up to and while not as good, was still great in its own right. Out of 3 and 4 which is better? I could go for some suikoden!!

Super Mario RPG - great fun but sadly ended way too soon.

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Give Cyber Knight 2 a try too; read a synopsis for CK1. CK2 is way, way better. Also try Gunman's Proof and Metal Max Returns!

I think I gave it a try and maybe did not get the whole traveling through the galaxy thing. Or what stars/planets to go to. Does that make sense? I could give it another try in the future.

Last edited by DoubleDvideogames on Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:23 am 

Sorry for the double post. But thanks for all the suggestions thus far!

Does anyone have anything to say about "Beyond the beyond"? Is it as bad as folks say or worth a playthrough?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:31 am 

Its true that RPGs that are too long can be tiring, but then the short ones can be frustrating for not developing further, so
yes its hard to strike a balance at times, guess its most the fault of the developers for not finding a sweet spot most of the time, haha.

Since you seem interested in MMR, let me tell you some things about it.
In my opinion, the plot itself is not the strong point.
This is because of the idea behind the game; its meant to be open ended, something very rare in RPGs in general,
much more so on a 16-bit RPG. That said, that open endness fits the theme and feel of the game perfectly really,
you basically do what you want to do, when you want to do, a really free spirited game.

The game was originally released for the NES, and MMR is a remake of that one first game for the SNES,
following that, Metal Max 2 was released also on the Snes, and later re-released on the GBA, maybe a bit
of a sense of humor from the guys at Data East. MM2 will see yet another re-release on the DS, and said platform
also has Metal Max 3.

Last but not least, the PS2 has the Metal Saga spinoff.

Out of these, only MMR and MS are in english; the first via Aeon Genesis' patch and the latter officially.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:33 am 
Site Admin

Koudelka has a great story with excellent visuals. The problem however is gameplay. Specifically the battle engine. It has a half-hearted half-cooked battle engine that just wasn't very fun. However, the story was a good one and makes it worth the chance if you can stand the battle engine.

Thousand Arms was actually a very fun game, however sadly just like Xenogears, the end of the game was so rushed it wasn't funny. Like Xenogears they just decided to make it a book at the end. Also, at times it had some pretty poor writing. Like instead of foreshadowing major events at the end of the game, they just blatantly spill the beans instead. It was too bad too because the dating aspects and original story at the beginning were quite promising. Too bad it feel into a pretty average fare by the end, however still worth a play.

Please do yourself a favor and avoid Beyond the Beyond, I would probably rate that game the worst RPG ever localized to US shores.

Also, Arc the Lad Collection? Yes it is a Strategy RPG but it is kinda watered down, especially game 1. I'd mention more strategy RPG's but like me you don't seem to like those. Although, Arc the Lad I really enjoyed.

I notice you didn't mention any Sega games at all. There are some good games to be had on the Sega systems, Phantasy Star Iv on Genesis as well as Beyond Oasis and Landstalker as well as some that are less popular that some love like Phantasy Star II, Shining in the Darkness and Shadowrun. Then we have Popful Mail on Sega CD (as well as Lunar 1-2 (which are IMO better than their PSX counterparts)). For example, you must travel the map on Sega CD, it isn't that scrawny compressed thing on PSX, it feels much larger and fulfilling traveling on Sega CD. There is also Vay which is kinda mediocre but still a decent enough game.

Then there are some Saturn gems. Magic Knight Rayearth was much better than the SNES port. (sorry fan translators that worked on it, nothing against you, just a better playing game), Albert Odyssesy was a decent experience, Beyond Oasis, and Dragon Force. As well as mentions for Shining the Holy Arc and Shining Wisdom which was pretty mediocre but worth a shot.

Then there is Grandia II and Skies of Arcadia as well as (if you're into those types of games) Egg, Evolution and Shenmue on Dreamcast. And I haven't even touched the mountain of great RPG's on PS2.

Again, there are strategy RPG's but, like me, you don't seem to like them, Like Shining Force I, II, CD and Fire Emblem (take your pick).

In short, you've played the better part of games that PSX and SNES has to offer, but that doesn't mean you've reached the end of the road with great RPG's to play. And I didn't even touch on Gameboy platforms and such.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next