Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What is your least favorite RPG ending?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:52 pm 
Site Admin

Ok, hear me out. This isn't about your least favorite RPG. Zetshiro did a good job getting you thinking about that. What I want to know is what RPG did you think was a fun RPG to play but when it was over the ending was so bad it ruined the entire game. I'm talking an epicly bad ending. I can think of several you guys can choose from, just chose the one or maybe two games with an ending that most made you absolutely disgusted that you even bothered to play the game to start with.

For me, there is Tales of Legendia. Not the first ending, but the epilogue ending. That literally made me want to destroy the disc because I knew it was never going to get played again. I didn't, but I felt like it.

Spoiler! :
When Grune (which was my favorite of the cast) turns out to be a goddess and totally changes, I still didn't have a problem with it. I actually liked her before and after. However, then when she has to die at the end with no real good reason. That was it for me. Add to it that Shirley and Senel's relationship went backwards in the epilogue and it just made for a really crappy experience. The main game was OK. A bit lackluster on story but it was OK, but that epilogue should have been thrown out before it was ever made.

Post subject: Re: What is your least favorite RPG ending?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:04 pm 

I have to say I didn't like the end to Tales of Destiny, because all the character development throughout the game just went no-where.
Although, in Tales of Destiny 2 you get know what happens after. But I just wish they were able to tell you this during the first game.

Tales of Vesperia is another game that comes to mind, because again, they don't really take it anywhere in the end. I couldn't picture what happened, or what could've happened.

Haha! It seems like the 'Tales of' games always like doing this. :lol:

People usually say it's up to your interpretation to make out what the ending is, but I really dislike those endings. Throughout the entire game, we go through the writers story, exactly the way he wanted it, but for the ending, all of a sudden we're the writer? Bah!

It just makes it feel incomplete, in my mind.

Though some games can do that well. Terranigma comes to mind. That ending was fantastic.

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:34 am 

Its hard for me to think of any that particularly annoyed me, most endings are not really that good but I can't think of one that really disappointed me off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of one pretty soon and post it here.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:51 am 

I think you already nailed it with Tales of Destiny. The storyline started to fall flat well before the ending, the game was almost a chore to even finish.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:05 am 
Site Admin

Surprised nobody has said Persona 3 :) I purposely didn't talk about it because I figured someone else would. Anyway, we all know why the original game was probably the worst ending of all time that played it. Even worse than Legendia (but not by much.) But hey, I'll not spoil it for those of you that haven't played it yet :) And there was the FES edition that attempted to fix things. Again, I won't say if it did or not. Play it and find out. The journey to the ending was at least fun and worth your time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Mystic's Ark's ending was quite ambiguous. The Japanese author wrote it that way - allegorically - so it was what it was. I was sorely tempted to expound on my own primary interpretation, design a modified, cogent plot element, and pen a credible story resolution. But I decided not to assume what some might consider an excessive license.

Actually, I rather enjoyed MA's allegorical ambiguity, but I know several people were uncomfortable with the ending. Having no highly proactive localization approach that would please everyone, Drakee and I cleaved mostly to what the raw script suggested, for the individual scenarios were presented clearly in their standalone modes. But knowing that many people would not roll all of the credits and see the very last clue that resolved the story for me, I knew the game would receive flak. Had the Japanese author and game designers shifted that final clue to just before the ending credits, this might have partially mitigated the confusion.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:35 pm 

I think MA's ending is the way its supposed to be really, even though I'm the first to point out the need for clarity, standardization and sense in things, as any beta-tester should, in this special case giving the ending a clear direction would most probably end up degenerating the original story author's visage of the whole thing.

The one thing that seems clear enough is that Remeer isn't a younger king Lemele, and the naming factor strikes me as no more than a mere coincidence.