Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Your top 10 RPGs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:20 am 

Zetshiro,

What game systems do you usually play? Since it sounds like you have an XBox 360, you should try out Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta 2 and maybe even Last Remnant although I think Red Soul will disagree with me on that one. Obviously theres also a lot of retro SNES RPGs many of which you have already enjoyed, but you might want to try Metal Max Returns and the upcoming Hourai High.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:04 am 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Try our Slayers or Mystic Ark. Slayers is a bit easy in places, but it rollicks. Mystic Ark features an allegorical story line with multiple interpretations, and the game play gives you a Seventh Saga feel without as much tedium. If you try Slayers and like it, you may also enjoy Ranma 1/2 The Red Cat Gang. If you play tactical/strategic RPGs, give Feda: The Emblem of Justice a whirl. If you are up for NES games, try Destiny of an Emperor-II or Just Breed. DoaE-II (and all of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games) has sort of a cult following at kongming.net

I tried Slayers, but I couldn't get into it, same with Ranma 1/2. I think it may have been because of how light the series is to me, and I thought that would rub off on the game, giving myself a bad impression on it. It's how I usually react to anime-to-games.

I've been playing Mystic Ark for only a few hours, and I can already tell it's going to be amazing.

Also, it may sound strange, but one of the main reasons I play RPG's is for the final boss fight. It's why I really enjoyed FFV as much as 4 yet it was clearly lacking in story and development. Lennus 2 had a great final boss too. I love those "What in the the hell is that!?" final bosses. :lol:

Also, thank you for the suggestions! Really!

Ah! Also, for some reason I just can't get into SRPG's or TRPG's. Which is a shame because I know they have some amazing games. The combat system is just.. argh. I want to get into them, so buggerin' bad..
The most insanely hard final boss battle I can remember is Zophar in Lunar: Eternal Blue, but you should probably play the prequel, Lunar: Silver Star Story, first and fight its final boss, Ghaleon. You have several ways to go with the Lunar series, the original Sega-CD versions on emulator or a number of remake options, including the PSP's Lunar Silver Star Harmony.

One thing we try to do in our English localizations here at D-D is clarify the story from the beginning and logically connect the action as the game progresses. From the translation data available, in straightforward language and without spoiling the suspense, we try to make sense of why the world is in turmoil - in other words - explain or demonstrate why the most adventuresome kid in the village must fight slimes in the countryside in order to level up and take on bigger challenges. Many early commercial games ported in English did indeed appear to have confused, disjointed story lines.

Your favorite game - Chrono Trigger - starts out with a lethargic lad who awakens and must be coaxed by his mother to walk into town and enjoy the Millennial Fair. He gets pulled into the huge saga that follows almost subtly, but this formula still works, somehow. I believe this is party because of the larger ambiance suggested by the opening imagery with its green countryside, exploding fireworks, soaring balloons, and CT's amazing sound track.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:47 am 
Site Admin

Maybe it was because I just finished replaying it a while ago, but I'd have to give Suikoden III a thunbs up for hard boss battles all the way through. Not just the ending. You could be kicking butt just fine on the monsters that were around and still get the floor wiped with you on bosses. I'd won more than one battle with only one guy standing at the end.

However, for bosses, RPG's are fine but I'll be darned if Gex 1 didn't take the cake for the hardest darn boss I ever played. And it wasn't even the final boss. It was the middle boss in the game. That stupid thing where you have to climb the cliff and avoid the dragon coming out of the holes. I got there after stocking up on lives in an earlier level. Had like 95 lives. I finished that boss with like 7 lives. That was THE #1 hardest boss I ever remember. I miss the days of good platformers. Sure there are some still today but the quality just doesn't stand up to the old days. They're too busy making them pretty instead of making them as fun as possible. (And no, I'm not saying Gex was a great platformer, but it wasn't half bad. The sequels are another matter.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:45 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
The most insanely hard final boss battle I can remember is Zophar in Lunar: Eternal Blue, but you should probably play the prequel, Lunar: Silver Star Story, first and fight its final boss, Ghaleon. You have several ways to go with the Lunar series, the original Sega-CD versions on emulator or a number of remake options, including the PSP's Lunar Silver Star Harmony.

One thing we try to do in our English localizations here at D-D is clarify the story from the beginning and logically connect the action as the game progresses. From the translation data available, in straightforward language and without spoiling the suspense, we try to make sense of why the world is in turmoil - in other words - explain or demonstrate why the most adventuresome kid in the village must fight slimes in the countryside in order to level up and take on bigger challenges. Many early commercial games ported in English did indeed appear to have confused, disjointed story lines.

Your favorite game - Chrono Trigger - starts out with a lethargic lad who awakens and must be coaxed by his mother to walk into town and enjoy the Millennial Fair. He gets pulled into the huge saga that follows almost subtly, but this formula still works, somehow. I believe this is party because of the larger ambiance suggested by the opening imagery with its green countryside, exploding fireworks, soaring balloons, and CT's amazing sound track.

I've been meaning to play Lunar: Silver Star. But I'm quite confused as to which one to play, there's the Sega-CD, PS1 and PSP versions. From what I've heard, they're really different from eachother. Although to me, the SegaCD version stands out. :)

When I first played Chrono Trigger, I couldn't get into it. I thought it was a little too linear, and the start happened too fast.
But after playing it again, and giving it another hour I came to love it. The atmosphere it gives it really strong (probably because of the soundtrack). Walking around the world map in 2300AD is amazing. :lol:

ultpaladin wrote:
What game systems do you usually play? Since it sounds like you have an XBox 360, you should try out Lost Odyssey, Magna Carta 2 and maybe even Last Remnant although I think Red Soul will disagree with me on that one. Obviously theres also a lot of retro SNES RPGs many of which you have already enjoyed, but you might want to try Metal Max Returns and the upcoming Hourai High.

I'm mainly looking for 2D RPG's to play. For some reason, It's really rare for me to get into 3D games. Which is a shame because I have ALOT of PS2 RPG's I've yet to even look at. :lol:

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:49 pm 

Master Chen wrote:
Zetshiro wrote:
I'm quite confused as to which one to play, there's the Sega-CD, PS1 and PSP versions.

Sega-CD version is for hardcore players, it's harder, has slower speed and etc.
PSOne version is the most popular version and is considered as something like a standard these days, basically, I think you should try this one first.
PSP (and GBA) version sucks, that's my personal IMHO, if you want, you can try it, but I don't think you will like it after Sega-CD or PSOne Lunar.

Also...never...NEVER...NEVER EVER play the Lunar Dragon Song on Nintendo DS. It's an oozing pile of @#$%.

Also, if you can - you should check for the Lunar Sanposuru Gakuen on Game Gear (I played only the Japanese version, so I don't really know, but...was there any translation of this one made by anyone, anyway?), it's a great game, I won't spoil anything about it, but I'll just say that it's absolutely true to the series. Not like that Dragon Song piece of @#$%.

Heh. I bought Lunar: Dragon Song some years back, I was immensly disappointed. 'Can't believe I wasted £35 on that, it was the first Lunar game I tried. :x

Is the SegaCD version that much harder? For some reason I just feel more drawn to that version. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Personally, I recommend the Sega CD versions. I think the micronising of the world maps for the PSX+ versions was a major mistake. It really made the games shorter and feel much less epic feeling. The Sega CD version really feels like a nice adventure. But the PSX version just doesn't. Sadly, why is it that RPG's are going to that system now more and more.

The PSX version IS worth playing for other reasons. So you shouldn't just say hey I played one, so there is no reason to play the other. Maybe you wait a while between plays or something. They actually made some changes to the story itself for PSX+. Especially to Lunar 1. Most of these happen earlier in gameplay but are there. The Boat Song in the PSX version alone is worth it for Lunar 1 :)

Avoid the PSP and any other XSeed version. I wouldn't bother with the Ubisoft GBA version either. Its GBA compared to real consoles. Enough said. As for the PSP version, they (XSeed) found a way to ruin a classic. I know some people weren't that keen on Working Designs dubbing (I liked it personally) but man that PSP version makes the Working Designs version seem like a masterpiece in comparison. But it isn't just that. The classic Working Designs humor, gone. The script, about as sharp as a new undrilled bowling ball and dry as the Sahara Desert. Characters lacking any personality. Too bad Working Designs is gone, and even more a shame that Xseed is allowed to even localize RPG's. I guess it is nice that some games we might not get any other way, but they are by far one of if not my least favorite US localizers ever.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:12 pm 
Site Admin

Wow, there are some pretty mediocre titles on that list of top 50 RPG's. I think there are far better ones you forgot that could have taken the place of many of those you included. But that is my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:26 pm 

Wow! That's a big list. :lol:

Thank you. I'll come back to that when I need a new game to play.

You have mentioned quite a few games that I've been looking into - Breath of Fire III, Persona 2, Star Ocean, Dewprism, Grandia, Xenogears, Tales of Destiny, Thousand Arms, Suikoden I/II & Chrono Cross. (to name a small few~) :lol:

I tried Emerald Dragon not too long ago, but I just couldn't get used to the battle system. Which is a shame, because I know it's a great game. 'Catchy music too.

Also, from your list. I played the hell outta' Grandia 2, Nocturne & Final Fantasy VIII when I was a littl'un. Can't remember much about them anymore, but I have such a familar feeling when I see them. :lol:

...I need to replay Alundra, Dragon Quest 5 and Mother 3 when I get the chance. As they all decided that It'll be a grand idea to corrupt the save file like 15+ hours in.