Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post subject: Re: Your top 10 RPGs
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:02 am 

taskforce wrote:
Well we COULD hack the game so that after our hero falls through the roof he dies and the game ends. :twisted: Can you imagine buying that game. You load it up. Start it up, the hero dies and the game is over before you do anything haha.

(Come on, you knew full well I couldn't let that opportunity slide by without saying something stupid nobody wants to hear.)

LOL TF, not quite that much realistic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:04 am 

Recca wrote:
But isn't the whole point of these games to save the world and everyone innocent in it? What's the point in playing if you don't accomplish that? You might as well lose at the last boss and have every person in the world die. Such nonsense in my opinion. I also find the "realistic" arguement laughable. So, if everyone in the team or whatever lives at the end, that's not realistic, yet the use of magic and godlike powers are? A person who wants realism such not play play video games as they are not real. Besides, the whole point of playing games is to escape from reality when you're tired from work or school, not throw yourself in a whirlpool of depression. As I stated in my post above, a plot and still be dark and interesting without any main or secondary character dying.

And yes, I like Tales of Phantasia, but not the beginning nor ending. The game play is very fun and the characters are cool. I mostly enjoyed looking for the spirits in the past and exploring Thor. As you could have guessed, the death of Edward annoyed me. That scene would have still been great even without that. Ironicly, it seemed stupid of Edward to stand his ground after attacking. So his death was very unrealistic to me. Don't get me wrong. I hate childish games too, but I also dislike overly dark ones.

It's just like Al said in the Fullmetal Alchemist manga; "Why are there only two choices? We can save the world and get out bodies back!" Indeed, the world can be saved without sacrificing yourself or those you love. I'll always fight for complete victories like the main characters. Ah, this must be about the fifth forum or so where I had the same discussion. Darn I trail off so much sometimes...

Recca, I'm well aware that ripping the ground apart with magic or wielding a ten foot sword is not realistic, but what
I was trying to say is that beneath the surface of even the most absurd game, there is a lesson to be learned, a lesson about humanity, both the best and worst of it.
Characters are just archetypes, and like Bill mentions, there is bound to be a level of identity, growth, understanding and learning, that is my point, the realism in a good RPG is beneath the surface, a game that is more than a mere pass time.

When blowing heads with FPS, realism is measured by graphics quality, the physics level, dynamic lightning, coronas, high level texturing and other tangible factors, its simpler to see and judge, but that's not the case with RPGs, even RPGs set in contemporary epochs like Shin Megami Tensei are very realistical. Take the demons out, you'll still have madmen trying to corrupt people, nuclear bomb threats, class segregation, religious pressure. Is that not all real?
That's my point, nothing more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:07 am 

Sorry about the double post ^.^' I thought quoting would make things more organized but I can't seem to delete the old one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Well we COULD hack the game so that after our hero falls through the roof he dies and the game ends. :twisted: Can you imagine buying that game. You load it up. Start it up, the hero dies and the game is over before you do anything haha.

(Come on, you knew full well I couldn't let that opportunity slide by without saying something stupid nobody wants to hear.)
That's what I always tell Sherry at the beginning of one of her Will-Johnny-Ever-Walk-Again dramas that she loves so much.

i. e. Johnny got hit by a marijuana-puffing operator of a speeding subway and now his leg bones are hopelessly shattered. He's lucky to even be alive, but then a reclusive Swiss doctor shows up at JFK (a guy who says zee instead of the every other word) with a miracle untried technique to rebuild Johnny's legs and even splice the severed nerves that control his muscular motor functions. Unfortunately, the whole scene becomes so wrapped in controversy and government red tape, the doctor and the boy must be spirited to a small Bahamian island to conduct this impossible operation in secret, far from the swirl of media attention and a meddling Surgeon General.

That's when I enter the room and tell her not to waste time. I tell her that Johnny will never walk again because on the way to the airport, his taxicab will be blown up by a mob of terrorists called the Moon God's Box-cutter Brigade who sneaked into New York from Canada via Niagra Falls, inflamed because the U.S won't give free socialized health care benefits to illegals, paid for by raising every working American's taxes by 14%, while Johnny gets a miracle operation from a Swiss recluse out of hiding who says zee instead of the, and his own made-for-television movie to boot!

This always makes her mad. *Shrug*

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:10 am 
ultpaladin wrote:
Wildbill,

You need to play scenarios 2 and 3 for Shining Force 3, apparently 2 is pretty much completely translated and scenario 3 is about 2/3 done and has items and menus translated. The premium disk is also finished if you want to try some really difficult battles or create specialized save files where you can name all the characters and give you certain items.

They updated their Shining Force 3: Scenario 3 translation files. Now it translates until the end of chapter 6.
Of course it's still not polished enough, but it should be playable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:19 pm 

Hi there!

My top 10:

1. Breath of Fire |V (For the style, mythology etc. And for fishing ;D. I spent few times more hours fishing, than playing main story, battling and everything else.)
2. Vandal Hearts II - Tenjo No Mon (Especially for the story and little different turn style. Ending so sad... I love such a games =( ... No fancies, no cute characters, but cruelty. Main hero is an adult man - finally - and not cute kids.)
3. Tales of Phantasia (When i first played it, I was amazed and decided to use graphic from the game to create my own fan game in RPG Maker 2003 - curently project dropped.)
4. Earthbound (Well, friend of mine told me that this rpg is very popular and when I looked at the style I was asked him why the game is so popular. When I played it, I understood.)
5. Final Fantasy 6 (For me the best part)
6. Legend of Zelda, The - A Link to the Past (Do I have to say anything? ;d)
7. Dragon Quest 1 SNES (My first participation in DQ world)
8. Star Ocean 2 (For the battle system.)
9. Alundra (Very good action RPG for me)
10. Pokemon Red (For that, it's one of few games i played on real GB, not emulation. And it was my first experience with Pokemon games.)

That's all. I probably forgot something, but whatever. These games I enjoyed much, so let them be =).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:59 pm 

Heres mine

1. Final Fantasy 6
2. Final Fantasy 9
3. Final Fantasy 10
4. Mother 3
5. Star Ocean 3
6. Rogue Galaxy
7. Secret of Mana 2
8. Final Fantasy Tactics
9. Suikoden 5
10. Tales of the Abyss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:52 pm 

Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 6 and Mystic Ark. I'm sure that they'll be my new 1 or 2 after I complete them.

1. Terranigma - Fun, kinda short and with a very deep story. I love the soundtrack.
2. Chrono Trigger - I'm sure everyone knows about this. It's really great.
3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - I loved this game! I wish it was longer..
4. Final Fantasy 4 - Great story, the soundtrack was great too.
5. Final Fantasy 5 - I enjoyed it, it did feel slightly bland, but It has my favourite final boss, ever.
6. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - First Castlevania game I played. I loved it.
7. Lennus 2 - I didn't really get the story. 'Game was hard too. I really enjoyed it though.
8. Soul Blazer - It's quite simple, easy to play, it's just fun.
9. Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 - GAH! It's so charming! I had alot of fun playing it.
10. Illusion of Gaia - It's great, it grows on you the more you play it. I didn't get the story though...

Ahh.. I've got no more room left for Tales of Vesperia. Ah well. That'll be an honorable mention or sumin'

...I need to play more games.

Backloggery :: Youtube

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Zetshiro wrote:
Right now I'm playing Final Fantasy 6 and Mystic Ark. I'm sure that they'll be my new 1 or 2 after I complete them.

1. Terranigma - Fun, kinda short and with a very deep story. I love the soundtrack.
2. Chrono Trigger - I'm sure everyone knows about this. It's really great.
3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - I loved this game! I wish it was longer..
4. Final Fantasy 4 - Great story, the soundtrack was great too.
5. Final Fantasy 5 - I enjoyed it, it did feel slightly bland, but It has my favourite final boss, ever.
6. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow - First Castlevania game I played. I loved it.
7. Lennus 2 - I didn't really get the story. 'Game was hard too. I really enjoyed it though.
8. Soul Blazer - It's quite simple, easy to play, it's just fun.
9. Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 - GAH! It's so charming! I had alot of fun playing it.
10. Illusion of Gaia - It's great, it grows on you the more you play it. I didn't get the story though...

Ahh.. I've got no more room left for Tales of Vesperia. Ah well. That'll be an honorable mention or sumin'

...I need to play more games.
Try our Slayers or Mystic Ark. Slayers is a bit easy in places, but it rollicks. Mystic Ark features an allegorical story line with multiple interpretations, and the game play gives you a Seventh Saga feel without as much tedium. If you try Slayers and like it, you may also enjoy Ranma 1/2 The Red Cat Gang. If you play tactical/strategic RPGs, give Feda: The Emblem of Justice a whirl. If you are up for NES games, try Destiny of an Emperor-II or Just Breed. DoaE-II (and all of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games) has sort of a cult following at kongming.net

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:15 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Try our Slayers or Mystic Ark. Slayers is a bit easy in places, but it rollicks. Mystic Ark features an allegorical story line with multiple interpretations, and the game play gives you a Seventh Saga feel without as much tedium. If you try Slayers and like it, you may also enjoy Ranma 1/2 The Red Cat Gang. If you play tactical/strategic RPGs, give Feda: The Emblem of Justice a whirl. If you are up for NES games, try Destiny of an Emperor-II or Just Breed. DoaE-II (and all of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms games) has sort of a cult following at kongming.net

I tried Slayers, but I couldn't get into it, same with Ranma 1/2. I think it may have been because of how light the series is to me, and I thought that would rub off on the game, giving myself a bad impression on it. It's how I usually react to anime-to-games.

I've been playing Mystic Ark for only a few hours, and I can already tell it's going to be amazing.

Also, it may sound strange, but one of the main reasons I play RPG's is for the final boss fight. It's why I really enjoyed FFV as much as 4 yet it was clearly lacking in story and development. Lennus 2 had a great final boss too. I love those "What in the the hell is that!?" final bosses. :lol:

Also, thank you for the suggestions! Really!

Ah! Also, for some reason I just can't get into SRPG's or TRPG's. Which is a shame because I know they have some amazing games. The combat system is just.. argh. I want to get into them, so buggerin' bad..

Backloggery :: Youtube

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next