Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aretha Game Boy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:51 pm 

Been doing some work on the first game. Got the script dumped, only a few control codes unlabeled. (though filler's pretty busy with the SFC games, so if anyone else is interested in translating, I don't think he minds)
This game seems kinda glitchy. I wonder if it as much on real hardware. (besides SRAM, which appears to be glitchy on most emulators)
I mean, if you wander around to the right of the first town, it just kinda warps you over a river and past the first dungeon.
Also, the game seems to have a very weird stat growth wave. Yes, it's not a growth curve. I ripped the table of base stats for each level, from the ROM. You will wildly gain and lose stats (it might give you +20 one level-up, then take away 19 points the next). Matelia(?, the main character of the GB series) will nearly gain max defence in the first ten levels, then lose 101 points at level 40 (though I suspect it's one of a couple errors, possibly due to a typo when creating the list). It goes 94->193->92. I THINK base stats are supposed to cap at 127, since equipment uses 8-bit signed values for stat changes (-128 to +127).
Maybe this has something to do with the enemies gradually replaced as you progress through the game.
(it appears that EXP, which is never displayed (maybe I should try to fix that in a hack? :) ), is fixed at a requirement of 255 to level-up. Defeating stronger enemies appears to give more EXP, and I think they disappear if you get too far ahead, until the next point where the game should reload the enemy set.)
Though max HP for player and enemy characters is always 10 x Level.

Post subject: Re: Aretha Game Boy
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:58 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Been doing some work on the first game. Got the script dumped, only a few control codes unlabeled. (though filler's pretty busy with the SFC games, so if anyone else is interested in translating, I don't think he minds)
This game seems kinda glitchy. I wonder if it as much on real hardware. (besides SRAM, which appears to be glitchy on most emulators)
I mean, if you wander around to the right of the first town, it just kinda warps you over a river and past the first dungeon.
Also, the game seems to have a very weird stat growth wave. Yes, it's not a growth curve. I ripped the table of base stats for each level, from the ROM. You will wildly gain and lose stats (it might give you +20 one level-up, then take away 19 points the next). Matelia(?, the main character of the GB series) will nearly gain max defence in the first ten levels, then lose 101 points at level 40 (though I suspect it's one of a couple errors, possibly due to a typo when creating the list). It goes 94->193->92. I THINK base stats are supposed to cap at 127, since equipment uses 8-bit signed values for stat changes (-128 to +127).
Maybe this has something to do with the enemies gradually replaced as you progress through the game.
(it appears that EXP, which is never displayed (maybe I should try to fix that in a hack? :) ), is fixed at a requirement of 255 to level-up. Defeating stronger enemies appears to give more EXP, and I think they disappear if you get too far ahead, until the next point where the game should reload the enemy set.)
Though max HP for player and enemy characters is always 10 x Level.
Thanks for the news. I hope someone will sign on to translate this for you. Is Ritchie still helping you some (if I got my fact straight on that)?

Draken, Bongo`, and I have been working on Aretha-II some, ironing out an insertion fix and the codes. The intro is shaping up a little. We hope to get a preview video out there over the holidays.

Good luck with Aretha-GB!