Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Our inspirators
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:27 am 

Recently I've taken some time to try to discover great past RPGs I might have missed
and I decided to check the games that Working Designs localized back in the day.
Given their posture and name were the inspiration we infused ourselves with to merge,
expand and rename the group, I felt it would be nice to share with everyone that information.
The games are sorted by system, as per Wikipedia's entry on the company.

TurboGrafx-16 & Turbo CD
Cadash
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile
Exile: Wicked Phenomenon
Parasol Stars
Vasteel

Sega CD
Lunar: The Silver Star [!]
Lunar: Eternal Blue [!]
Popful Mail [!]
Vay [!]

Sega Saturn
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean [!]
Dragon Force [!]
Iron Storm
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sega Ages
Shining Wisdom

PlayStation
Alundra
Arc the Lad Collection [!]
Elemental Gearbolt
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
RayStorm [!]
RayCrisis
Silhouette Mirage [!]
Thunder Force V
Vanguard Bandits [!]

PlayStation 2
Growlanser Generations [!]
Gungriffon Blaze
Silpheed: The Lost Planet

Note 1: The games marked with [!] are ones I played and certainly recommend, both for the quality of the games themselves and the quality of the localization
Working Designs did.

Note 2: Despite Working Design's closure, it went to live on as Gaijin Productions. They localized a great adventure game for the DS called Miami Law
(which I played and finished also). Their website currently only shows the company logo though, so they may have gone in a hiatus of sorts.

Note 3: Isn't it curious how they invariably use the same font in their RPG localizations? I wonder what the font is called.

Post subject: Re: Our inspirators
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:37 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Recently I've taken some time to try to discover great past RPGs I might have missed
and I decided to check the games that Working Designs localized back in the day.
Given their posture and name were the inspiration we infused ourselves with to merge,
expand and rename the group, I felt it would be nice to share with everyone that information.

TurboGrafx-16 & Turbo CD
Cadash
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile
Parasol Stars
Vasteel

Sega CD
Popful Mail [!]
Vay [!]

Sega Saturn
Dragon Force [!]
Iron Storm
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sega Ages
Shining Wisdom

PlayStation
Alundra
Elemental Gearbolt
RayStorm [!]
RayCrisis
Silhouette Mirage [!]
Thunder Force V
Vanguard Bandits [!]

PlayStation 2
Gungriffon Blaze

Note 1: The games marked with [!] are ones I played and certainly recommend, both for the quality of the games themselves and the quality of the localization
Working Designs did.

Note 2: Despite Working Design's closure, it went to live on as Gaijin Productions. They localized a great adventure game for the DS called Miami Law
(which I played and finished also). Their website currently only shows the company logo though, so they may have gone in a hiatus of sorts.

Note 3: Isn't it curious how they invariably use the same font in their RPG localizations? I wonder what the font is called.

WOW! I would have never thought they did Cadash! That was a favorite of mine.
Nice arcade game! Vay was also a nice game. Ah the memories...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:44 am 

Really? you had a TG16 Bongo'?
It was great for shooters and stuff from what I hear, but I never had one myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:03 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:

TurboGrafx-16 & Turbo CD
Cadash
Cosmic Fantasy 2
Exile
Parasol Stars
Vasteel

Sega CD
Popful Mail [!]
Vay [!]

Sega Saturn
Dragon Force [!]
Iron Storm
Magic Knight Rayearth
Sega Ages
Shining Wisdom

PlayStation
Alundra
Elemental Gearbolt
RayStorm [!]
RayCrisis
Silhouette Mirage [!]
Thunder Force V
Vanguard Bandits [!]

PlayStation 2
Gungriffon Blaze

Working Designs did.

Those were exciting days. Thanks for compiling this list, RS. TF and I talked a lot about W-D's approach to localization back in the day and played their games in the same time frame, especially Lunar. W/D's spirit is indeed inculcated here. (Was it Ted Woolsey, or was he doing something similar at the time?) Anyway, these SFC RPGs were the true golden age, the "Mozart" of the genre, and we are mining the treasures.

We may have real-life res in holographic presentations after we're gone, but the Japanese artists who created these original games may not have their work equaled or surpassed. I see some of these high quality SFC stories and games ported by fans to what is now called current generation platforms someday.

BTW, I have a secret project proposal in the back of my head, but no one will dig it out of me yet - not for a while. Beside, Bongo` has enough to do right now, and this will mostly concern him and me in the beginning, although I want everyone to enjoy it and have a big input and contribution.

Last edited by Wildbill on Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:55 am 

Wildbill wrote:
Those were exciting days. Thanks for compiling this list, RS. TF and I talked a lot about W-D's approach to localization back in the day and played their games in the same time frame, especially Lunar. W/D's spirit is indeed inculcated here. (Was it Ted Woolsey, or was he doing something similar at the time?) Anyway, these SFC RPGs were the true golden age, the "Mozart" of the genre, and we are mining the treasures.

We may have real-life res in holographic presentations after we're gone, but the Japanese artists who created these original games may not have their work equaled or surpassed. I see some of these high quality SFC stories and games ported by fans to what is now called current generation platforms someday.

BTW, I have a secret project proposal in the back of my head, but no one will dig it out of me yet - not for a while. Beside, Bongo` has enough to do right now, and this will mostly concern he and I in the beginning, although I want everyone to enjoy it and have a big input and contribution.

I agree completely and I'm dying to know what your mind's cogs may be machinating right now haha, but well met, I'll wait until you are ready to share your
idea with the rest of the team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

You never played Alundra Red Soul? Man you are missing out buddy, that game was a classic. People bitched cause it was hard as hell but I didn't think it was at all. Put Zelda to shame. Also, Rayearth for the Saturn is actually a very fun game. Don't put it aside simply because its based on a magical girl anime. Not to mention Shining Wisdom, which goes to the Sega Shining series. Of course it is a must play and you haven't played it. Shame on you :P I've played most everything Working Designs has done save for a few of the TG-16 offerings. Including the arcade stuff. Elemental Gearbolt is still one of my favorite rail shooters to date. (And yes that includes Lunar on both the Sega CD and Playstation. The Sega CD is still the better of the two. Losing the random battles and microsizing the overworld map was NOT a good idea)

I've even got the free goodies that came with the pre-orders. Punching Ghaleon puppet, Arc the Lad Watch and mouse pad (that mousepad is awesome). ect ect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:22 pm 

taskforce wrote:
You never played Alundra Red Soul? Man you are missing out buddy, that game was a classic. People bitched cause it was hard as hell but I didn't think it was at all. Put Zelda to shame. Also, Rayearth for the Saturn is actually a very fun game. Don't put it aside simply because its based on a magical girl anime. Not to mention Shining Wisdom, which goes to the Sega Shining series. Of course it is a must play and you haven't played it. Shame on you :P I've played most everything Working Designs has done save for a few of the TG-16 offerings. Including the arcade stuff. Elemental Gearbolt is still one of my favorite rail shooters to date. (And yes that includes Lunar on both the Sega CD and Playstation. The Sega CD is still the better of the two. Losing the random battles and microsizing the overworld map was NOT a good idea)

I've even got the free goodies that came with the pre-orders. Punching Ghaleon puppet, Arc the Lad Watch and mouse pad (that mousepad is awesome). ect ect.

Thing with Alundra is I did play but didn't finish it, the game is highly appealing but I tend to not focus too heavily on action RPGs enough to play them to the finish.
Rayearth I played and finished but it was the Snes version, not sure how much of it changes.
I didn't particularly like Shining Wisdom (mostly due to being an action RPG much like Beyond Oasis, Legend Of Oasis and such.
As far as Shining goes I prefer the SRPGs on MD, GG and Saturn.

I was never a big fan of lightgun shooters but I have a liking to the Virtua Cop and Time Crisis games, so I'll give Elemental Gearbolt a try.
I didn't know the PS1 version of Lunar had been so drastically altered, that really sucks.
The Arc series is really awesome, I finished 1 and 3, been playing the second lately (my personal favorite).
Vanguard Bandits is also great; I like how Working Designs made a lot of characters sound a lot more dignified and royal in their localization,
although a lot of people complained, I don't see how that is bad (the game has a medieval setting after all, despite mechas being present.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:37 pm 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
Rayearth I played and finished but it was the Snes version, not sure how much of it changes.

The SNES version doesn't hold a candle to the Saturn version. But if you don't like Action RPG's you'd be out of luck :P

I personally really like action RPG's, but don't care for Stragegy RPG's at all. It is a real chore for me to finish those but I do now and then. Amazing that I was the one that wanted to do Albert Odyssey right? Heh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:42 pm 

I sure want to work with Albert Odyssey haha.
The Saturn one is great despite leaving the strategy roots behind, but I'd like to play the originals as well.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Amazing that I was the one that wanted to do Albert Odyssey right? Heh
*Scratching head...*