Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Famicom RPGs blog
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:57 am 

I found this little blog in the depths of the internet - https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/. The author basically plays each Japan-only RPG for SFC in chronological order, regardless of whether it was fan-translated or not (he knows Japanese). I thought that it could be a good potential future reference as to which games are worth translating and which are, well, poor excuses for an RPG. Of course, you can't escape some subjectivity in this matter, but I do find it interesting that someone set out to do this, as there aren't many projects like this around.

Post subject: Re: Super Famicom RPGs blog
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:26 pm 

I wish him luck! It'll be worthwhile to follow his progress. Up until games released in 1994 and later he has quite a bit of murky waters to wade through to get to the better titles. Like Burai and Song Master, ouch. But it'll be nice to read more about lesser known games such as of Blade & Soul, Yume Maboroshi and Last Battle eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:39 pm 

Thanks for the link. Somehow I don't have Galaxy Robo on my list -- despite supplementing my own list with a Japanese list that had some very dubious entries, I guess some still fell through the cracks.

Fortunately I can skip Burai. One of my rules is that I can skip ports; I mostly put that in there to save me from bad ports of computer games. I'm not sure Burai is a bad port, but it just seems to be a bad game in general.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
Thanks for the link. Somehow I don't have Galaxy Robo on my list -- despite supplementing my own list with a Japanese list that had some very dubious entries, I guess some still fell through the cracks.

Fortunately I can skip Burai. One of my rules is that I can skip ports; I mostly put that in there to save me from bad ports of computer games. I'm not sure Burai is a bad port, but it just seems to be a bad game in general.
Ditto. I read through the whole blog yesterday. Cool stuff! It's nice for me because I don't know much about the SFC library personally, especially RPGs.

I'm looking forward to your play-through of 3x3 Eyes since that's a project I worked on a number of years ago, so I've had a chance to at least play some of it (and translate the whole script). I'm still a little bummed KingMike and I haven't managed to finish that one up.

As for Galaxy Robo, I'd love to see you play through that one. There is so little info about that game online, but it really is a fun strategy RPG. Everyone agrees that chapter 8 and the end battle are hard though, so watch out! Your main characters normally need to stay alive to clear victory conditions, but it's also important to level them up a bunch so try to make use of them.

Once you get around to it, you may want to consider keeping some notes for a FAQ/guide to post to GameFAQs as there still isn't one. I'm considering making one, but I don't know when/if I'll take the time to play this again.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 pm 

kurisu wrote:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2034090863 - I noticed this list a while ago, I think Spinner 8 from the ROMhacking forum made it. Anyway, according to it, there are almost 800 untranslated games, and about 80 of those are pure RPGs, more or less. There are dates here, too. Dunno if it helps you in any way, but there you go.

filler wrote:
I'm looking forward to your play-through of 3x3 Eyes since that's a project I worked on a number of years ago, so I've had a chance to at least play some of it (and translate the whole script). I'm still a little bummed KingMike and I haven't managed to finish that one up.

As for Galaxy Robo, I'd love to see you play through that one. There is so little info about that game online, but it really is a fun strategy RPG. Everyone agrees that chapter 8 and the end battle are hard though, so watch out! Your main characters normally need to stay alive to clear victory conditions, but it's also important to level them up a bunch so try to make use of them.

Once you get around to it, you may want to consider keeping some notes for a FAQ/guide to post to GameFAQs as there still isn't one. I'm considering making one, but I don't know when/if I'll take the time to play this again.

I really liked Galaxy Robo! Too bad the 3x3 Eyes project didn't pan out. I like KingMike's work, but of course, these things take time. I wouldn't mind seeing some new FC RPGs in English, but you can't have it all, naturally.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:58 pm 

3x3 Eyes is up next. It's the fifth and final game in this sequence of 5 kusoge (crappy games) in a row.

The main complaint against 3x3 Eyes seems to be the "anyone dies = game over" system because Pai is too weak and the extra characters you get are always hopeless. The worst is in the final dungeon where you get a level 1 character that dies instantly to the final boss' attack, and there's no save points after you get him. People report anywhere from 2-5 hours of grinding required, without being able to save, and the danger of random enemies giving you a game over as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:53 pm 

I "finished" 3x3 Eyes (or at least made it to the screwover final boss). It's not a good game. If they had fixed a couple of issues it would have been a below-average RPG but as it is, it's unplayable because of the final dungeon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

I saw your first blog post. Thanks for letting me know you've (nearly) finished. It's too bad the game is not very good, though I'm still a 3x3 Eyes fan, so I'm interested in any game that tackles more of the story. Looking forward to your final thoughts.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:16 pm 

I have nearly finished playing my first blind JRPG in Japanese, entirely unassisted.
It's Crimson for the MSX.
What is my opinion of the game? It would otherwise be a decent nonlinear Dragon Quest clone. A surprising amount of death in the game despite colorful graphics, but some nice catchy music.
But what has really soured my opinion in the game is that it might have the worst RNG dependency I have seen. RNG was annoying in Deep Dungeon 1 but at the least it was a 1-on-1 game. I've forgetten how bad it was in DD3 before I nerfed it. But when your characters are regularly missing two or three attacks in a row, in an engine that supports up to 3 PCs vs. 7 of one enemy at the same time, I don't see how anyone can find that "fun". I seem to do a bit better against enemies I'm overleveled which makes me wonder if it isn't completely terrible RNG but bad balancing to make the game more grindy to extend play time. (which certainly wouldn't be unheard of for 1987, when admittedly the genre was still fairly new)
Not to mention how battles are SLOW. Turning the text speed up doesn't help. This game likes to do an effect where for each line of text it prints it as a blue bar before printing the text, and in battles that animation is so slow. It's so dull that it makes glad using an emulator I can watch videos or something and just ocassionally glance over to see if each turn has FINALLY completed, watching for flashes to indicate actual hits happening.
As I said, it's a game that could be salvaged into a decent (though not really mind-blowing) game if that crappiness with the battle system could be fixed.

It might be the first game I do a machine-assisted translation on (I have it almost all completely transcribed and translated, just need to reach the ending), though maybe I could post the script if someone wants to look and correct me. Why I did it was because it was a pretty small game as far as text volume (dumped text is about 19KB which seems to be most almost if not all in-game text)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:13 am 
Site Admin

Spoiler! :
KingMike wrote:
I have nearly finished playing my first blind JRPG in Japanese, entirely unassisted.
It's Crimson for the MSX.
What is my opinion of the game? It would otherwise be a decent nonlinear Dragon Quest clone. A surprising amount of death in the game despite colorful graphics, but some nice catchy music.
But what has really soured my opinion in the game is that it might have the worst RNG dependency I have seen. RNG was annoying in Deep Dungeon 1 but at the least it was a 1-on-1 game. I've forgetten how bad it was in DD3 before I nerfed it. But when your characters are regularly missing two or three attacks in a row, in an engine that supports up to 3 PCs vs. 7 of one enemy at the same time, I don't see how anyone can find that "fun". I seem to do a bit better against enemies I'm overleveled which makes me wonder if it isn't completely terrible RNG but bad balancing to make the game more grindy to extend play time. (which certainly wouldn't be unheard of for 1987, when admittedly the genre was still fairly new)
Not to mention how battles are SLOW. Turning the text speed up doesn't help. This game likes to do an effect where for each line of text it prints it as a blue bar before printing the text, and in battles that animation is so slow. It's so dull that it makes glad using an emulator I can watch videos or something and just ocassionally glance over to see if each turn has FINALLY completed, watching for flashes to indicate actual hits happening.
As I said, it's a game that could be salvaged into a decent (though not really mind-blowing) game if that crappiness with the battle system could be fixed.

It might be the first game I do a machine-assisted translation on (I have it almost all completely transcribed and translated, just need to reach the ending), though maybe I could post the script if someone wants to look and correct me. Why I did it was because it was a pretty small game as far as text volume (dumped text is about 19KB which seems to be most almost if not all in-game text)

Congrats! At 19K I'd definitely post it to RHDN for a check after machine translating.

My projects
RHDN Community DB