Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My hobby - 2D graphics layouts
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:55 am 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
It will be a while before I can actually get around to working on this stuff again...

Can't wait! =D
I can see you used some walls from Chrono Trigger =D

I don't remember where the walls come from. And not sure if you are referring to the walls in the RPG or Raycaster...

I was thinking of using the the RPG engine for towns and world map maybe or maybe I could use my Mode-7 world map routine. I was also thinking about using the Raycasting engine for dungeon crawling. I don't know anymore. I have included some pics of my RPG engine running with a scripting engine that I am trashing. The scripting engine is displaying the runtime debugger
that I implemented into the system. I did too much with this engine some I'm taking it back
to the drawing board with people who have simple ideas. :)

As you can see, the Raycaster has the menu system implemented also AND a full scripting engine created by me! :)

Attachments:
File comment: With the scripting engine, most, if not all the data is connected!
usespell.png
usespell.png [ 25.75 KiB | Viewed 11528 times ]
File comment: Simple menu system showing status info.
rayStatus.png
rayStatus.png [ 26.21 KiB | Viewed 11528 times ]
File comment: Debugging system to see what the code is doing and what variables hold what. :) And yes, every window in the debug screen is from my engine!
Debugger.png
Debugger.png [ 149.88 KiB | Viewed 11528 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:37 pm 

Bongo`, you are quite a programmer.
If about the walls, I meant those:
But nvm.
If about using Raycaster 3D engine as dungeons can be very good idea, but I'm not sure if this 3D do not kill climate of oldschool 2D games. I can see you are DQ fan =).
Ok, and what about battles? Side view like FF series, or First Person(?) like DQ series? With ATB like FF6 if side-view, or turn based?
Can you post some shots from map editor? Here is a pic of rpgmaker's map editor ->click<-

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:50 pm 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Bongo`, you are quite a programmer.
If about the walls, I meant those:
But nvm.
If about using Raycaster 3D engine as dungeons can be very good idea, but I'm not sure if this 3D do not kill climate of oldschool 2D games. I can see you are DQ fan =).
Ok, and what about battles? Side view like FF series, or First Person(?) like DQ series? With ATB like FF6 if side-view, or turn based?
Can you post some shots from map editor? Here is a pic of rpgmaker's map editor ->click<-

That editor is way better than my editor. I wouldn't even show my editor although it's not that bad. But if I learned the map format for RPGMaker2003 then I could just use it instead. :) I know RPG Maker is a nice util, but I never thought to use it for game creation. I wouldn't mind though...

Here are some pictures of the battle system. The enemy's are animated during battle.
Here are some pictures.

Attachments:
battle1.png
battle1.png [ 24.71 KiB | Viewed 11517 times ]
battle2.png
battle2.png [ 26.25 KiB | Viewed 11517 times ]
battle3.png
battle3.png [ 25.48 KiB | Viewed 11517 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:41 am 

Bongo` wrote:
That editor is way better than my editor. I wouldn't even show my editor although it's not that bad. But if I learned the map format for RPGMaker2003 then I could just use it instead. :)

That's a smart idea ; D, but RM2k3 have some stupid limitations which I don't like. For example look at THIS tileset. It can't be bigger or smaller. Also only 3 layers was not enough for my RM project, but if you plan to use graphics based on DW/DQ series on SNES, RM could work. There would be another alternative, I mean RPG Maker XP which doesn't have tileset limitation and also have fourth layer. But I hate this version of RM because it lost SNES-like magic.

Bongo` wrote:
I know RPG Maker is a nice util, but I never thought to use it for game creation. I wouldn't mind though...

Bongo`, if I had such a programming skill do you think I would like to use RM? No, I would do it the way you do =).

And this BS looks neat.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:46 am 

Not meaning to butt in but I believe there is a higher version than RMXP around at this point.
Seems it simplified the Ruby scripting and added some more stuff. Just saying so to give you
guys more information to work with. I'll try to find out more details and post them here later on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:11 pm 

Yes, of course I know about that newer version. It's RPG Maker VX and this version have as I remember fifth layer, but then tilesets are again very small and there is a limitation for it. Both versions XP and VX have a ruby support.
Too bad that Bongo` don't want to show his map editor, because with my experience with RM map editors I would suggest some ideas to upgrade it. But it's his toys and I respect it =).
I could post you Bongo` map file from RM, but don't know if it'll help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

kvachu wrote:
Yes, of course I know about that newer version. It's RPG Maker VX and this version have as I remember fifth layer, but then tilesets are again very small and there is a limitation for it. Both versions XP and VX have a ruby support.
Too bad that Bongo` don't want to show his map editor, because with my experience with RM map editors I would suggest some ideas to upgrade it. But it's his toys and I respect it =).

Bah! My editor only supports 2 Layers and a Sprite layer for a total of 3.
Not as advanced as RPGMaker. :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:42 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
kvachu wrote:

I'm almost totally lost with all of this because it's not my bailiwick, so I am about to show my ignorance, big time, but I don't care if I do... First, I have heard of RPGMaker and have a general idea of what it's all about. I also recall that that a group called KanjiHack received a C&D order from Ascii a few years ago, pulled a hack from their web site, and folded shortly thereafter.

Anyway...

Does all of this mean that we could devise a shell with over-world, dungeons, castles, towns, and such that replicates the whole ambiance and culture of Dragon Warriors 2, 3, and 4, then create a separate DW saga, write the story, and insert it into a supporting structure that matches the series that many of us love, using a similar battle system, the same monsters, and all of the familiar DW trimmings?

If so, I would be interested in authoring an original story outside of the progression of the three DW/DQ trilogies, perhaps a follow-on Erdrick's quest in DW-I. I want to have the princess or her daughter kidnapped by the Dragon Lord's offspring or some such perfidy and lot's of Green Dragons, not just one!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:50 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
kvachu wrote:

I'm almost totally lost with all of this because it's not my bailiwick, so I am about to show my ignorance, big time, but I don't care if I do... First, I have heard of RPGMaker and have a general idea of what it's all about. I also recall that that a group called KanjiHack received a C&D order from Ascii a few years ago, pulled a hack from their web site, and folded shortly thereafter.

Anyway...

Does all of this mean that we could devise a shell with over-world, dungeons, castles, towns, and such that replicates the whole ambiance and culture of Dragon Warriors 2, 3, and 4, then create a separate DW saga, write the story, and insert it into a supporting structure that matches the series that many of us love, using a similar battle system, the same monsters, and all of the familiar DW trimmings?

If so, I would be interested in authoring an original story outside of the progression of the three DW/DQ trilogies, perhaps a follow-on Erdrick's quest in DW-I. I want to have the princess or her daughter kidnapped by the Dragon Lord's offspring or some such perfidy and lot's of Green Dragons, not just one!!

Actually, I'm thinking about using RPG Maker for this very thing. The only thing is with RPG Maker, there is no need for a programmer. :) Which is fine by me!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:41 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Actually, I'm thinking about using RPG Maker for this very thing. The only thing is with RPG Maker, there is no need for a programmer. :) Which is fine by me!
It would be more fun to do something using an original game-making program designed by you.