Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My hobby - 2D graphics layouts
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:04 am 
Site Admin

The only experience that I have with the RPGMaker programs is with RPGMaker 2000 (RM2k). It's a pretty good program to use for making old school style RPGs once you get the hang of it. Most games made with these programs are not all that, but some are very notable such as The Frozen World by Lysander86 (using RM2k). I've also creating a few RPGs a few years ago but they're nothing to write home about. It was mostly for practise when I was still new to the program. I'm actually working on another RPG right now with a custom battle system, day & night, caterpillar script and all that. It seems to be working out fine for the most part, but I've put it on hold while I think up more of the story for the game. Although, I can't really say that I'm using RM2k as much as I used to these days.

Custom and ripped resources are quite easy to find. As well as tutorials. For those interested about using any of the RPGMaker programs, I would recommend this site: http://rpgmaker.net/

If anyone needs any resources for a particular game and can't find it, I'll be glad to post the links to a few good sites that I know. They might have it. All in all, the RPGMaker programs are pretty good to use for creating RPGs. They do have some annoying limitations though. For example, the default battle systems don't support animated enemy attacks. That's why a lot of people go through the trouble of creating custom scripts such as myself. Eh, making RPGs is fun, but I prefer translating games a bit more. :)

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:24 am 

I've had on and off times with RM a lot in the past. I tend to have great ideas but I was always barred in the implementation phase.
Still a great program, that's for sure.
By the way Recca, forgive my ignorance but, what do you mean by caterpillar script?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:36 am 
Site Admin

Red Soul wrote:
By the way Recca, forgive my ignorance but, what do you mean by caterpillar script?

Heh, it's quite a strange name indeed, it had me confused when I first heard of it too. A caterpillar script is a "follow the leader" system like in most RPGs such as in Phantasy Star 1-4. This one was actually the hardest script to make as it has the most amounts of switches and variables out of all the systems that I've made and seen. If your interested, I could write some of my scripts here.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:06 am 

Oh, well I don't work with RM currently but I bet Bongo' and Kvachu would find that immensely helpful, perhaps it can be used along with their ideas.
Thanks for explaining by the way ^.^

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:17 pm 

Bongo` wrote:
Actually, I'm thinking about using RPG Maker for this very thing. The only thing is with RPG Maker, there is no need for a programmer. :) Which is fine by me!

But what I know, programmers are making miracles in RM's scripts. Bongo`, If you'll master every single command in RM, I believe there'll be no thing, that you wouldn't do.
Wildbill wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Actually, I'm thinking about using RPG Maker for this very thing. The only thing is with RPG Maker, there is no need for a programmer. :) Which is fine by me!
It would be more fun to do something using an original game-making program designed by you.

I feel the same, but maybe Bongo` want to save all his programming skill for romhacking =).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:56 am 

Here is my latest gaming project which I was working on for last two weeks:
http://www.gbgallery.oz.pl/

It's called GameBoy Gallery. I did it because I love galleries. Not finished yet and there's only A letter , but I started to upload screenshot just yesterday.
I'm thinking now about GameBoy Color gallery, or Commodore 64 or redo my other SNES gallery. Or maybeee...