Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Historic Snowfall in Virginia
PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Yep, I'm caught in the middle of it, between onslaughts right now. Cold front on the west - nor'easter to the east - pounding us in the middle. So, I was stuck in Richmond overnight, running through the storm last night, racing up I-85 and I-95, trying to keep ahead of most of it, ultimately trying to get to a place called Reedville on the Chesapeake Bay, 90 miles further to the northeast of Richmond.

I'm fixing to take off again before the next six inches or more starts hitting us this afternoon. Fortunately, my pickup truck has 4-wheel drive, so I'll be out of action for a while, especially if the power goes out at my destination, which it frequently does during hurricanes, nor'easters, and ice storms.

Post subject: Re: Historic Snowfall in Virginia
PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:10 am 
Site Admin

You lucky devil! I'm one of those rare types who loves snow! Too bad we don't get much of any here in Daegu :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:49 pm 

Extreme weather seems to be a theme this winter! Hope that you keep safe and warm bill, and that you have central heating (or at least plenty of burnables and hearth!)

(huh, I thought I made a post here yesterday? Said the same thing, but worded differently.... Weird.)

http://hollytron.etsy.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

hollytron wrote:
Extreme weather seems to be a theme this winter! Hope that you keep safe and warm bill, and that you have central heating (or at least plenty of burnables and hearth!)

(huh, I thought I made a post here yesterday? Said the same thing, but worded differently.... Weird.)
Yep, Holly... We are toasty warm in our bay side abodes, plus we have this humongous bonfire raging next to the creek bank, a seasonal ritual whenever the clan gathers for the holidays and we burn off mountains of cleared timber we have hoarded all year long for just this occasion.

BTW, did your flooding and municipal potable water miseries ever get resolved?

Oh, and I noticed you're a mom! That's a fun age, you have. Enjoy them while you still have them at home all the time because it passes quickly and is gone forever. Mine are 25, 26, and 28, and they say I still treat them like they're 2 or 3! Anyway, a good time to play an RPG is right after the little dickens drift off to slumber-land. A game and a stemmed-glass full of claret or something to go with it, hee-hee...!

And another add: I just looked at your creations. Is that you modeling the earwings? If so, aren't you the multi-talented, cosmopolitan one...!? I'll have my gal, Sherry, take a look, She loves unique jewelry. Anyway, they appear similar to how I envisioned one of the items I helped Draken translate in Chaos Seed, a feather something-or-other sort of weapon or charm!

Last edited by Wildbill on Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:57 pm 

You know, I'm in western Massachusetts. Boston got pounded by the same storm you guys got, something to the tune of 16 inches, but it missed me - completely. We must've just gotten the very very edge of it or something, 'cuz despite an initial forecast of 6-8 inches of snow total, we didn't get a single flake.

Not that I'm disappointed, mind! I work weekends and probably would have had to call out if it were as bad as all that - but it was also the last day before my first paid time off since September, and calling out before a vacation never looks good :|

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:03 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Yep, Holly... We are toasty warm in our bay side abodes, plus we have this humongous bonfire raging next to the creek bank, a seasonal ritual whenever the clan gathers for the holidays and we burn off mountains of cleared timber we have hoarded all year long for just this occasion.

Awesome! Very appropriate for the winter solstice! Toasted Marshmallows ahoy! What sort of temperatures do you get over there in the winter time?

Wildbill wrote:
BTW, did your flooding and municipal potable water miseries ever get resolved?

Yes, finally! We were only a week without water, but there were others further up the northside who didn't have anything for around 12 days. Yuck. Of course, after we get water back I discover that a friend of mine just down the road had water the whole time, and would have been more than willing to share facilities..... always the way!![/quote]

Wildbill wrote:
Oh, and I noticed you're a mom! That's a fun age, you have. Enjoy them while you still have them at home all the time because it passes quickly and is gone forever. Mine are 25, 26, and 28, and they say I still treat them like they're 2 or 3! Anyway, a good time to play an RPG is right after the little dickens drift off to slumber-land. A game and a stemmed-glass full of claret or something to go with it, hee-hee...!

Haha! Never a dull moment with the sprogs around! And while it does limit my "other interests" time, it's absolutely worth it! I find nap time is good RPG time, as I have a tendancy to stay up until the wee small hours if I get into a game after their bedtime...

And babying your adult kids is one of the best things about being a parent! That and embarrassing the life out of them when they're teenagers! And you have grandchildren to fill with sweets and give back to their parents too!

Wildbill wrote:
And another add: I just looked at your creations. Is that you modeling the earwings? If so, aren't you the multi-talented, cosmopolitan one...!? I'll have my gal, Sherry, take a look, She loves unique jewelry. Anyway, they appear similar to how I envisioned one of the items I helped Draken translate in Chaos Seed, a feather something-or-other sort of weapon or charm!
Yes, thats me! A friend's other half is a fashion photographer, and kindly offered to take the photos for me, which was kind. I'm terrified of the camera though, there goes my top model ambition (not really, I like to eat.)

激打の羽 (Piercing Feather/Wings)? Oddly appropriate! I must say I'm envious of your Kanji skills! I took Japanese in High School for 4 years, but I can barely remember any kanji at all!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:07 pm 

Gideon Zhi wrote:
You know, I'm in western Massachusetts. Boston got pounded by the same storm you guys got, something to the tune of 16 inches, but it missed me - completely. We must've just gotten the very very edge of it or something, 'cuz despite an initial forecast of 6-8 inches of snow total, we didn't get a single flake.

Not that I'm disappointed, mind! I work weekends and probably would have had to call out if it were as bad as all that - but it was also the last day before my first paid time off since September, and calling out before a vacation never looks good :|

Not snowed in is good, but you'd think they could muster up some gentle snow, you know, to make the place feel wintry! We never saw snow here, although it was snowing across the country. It just rained here, then froze. Makes walking up and down the hills about the city really fun!

Hope you're enjoying your time off!