Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: Haappppyyyy neeewww yeeeeeear !
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:28 am 
Site Admin

I can probably translate the French script as it is my second language. Is that the route we want to go, though? Wouldn't it be better to translate the Japanese script to ensure nothing is being lost in translation?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:41 am 
Site Admin

I think as long as we have the raw french translation that it'll be fine. There are a lot of people who complain about going from one language to another and then to a third language, but in the end, as long as the original translation was done well enough, there tends to be little difference. It would be far easier to find a french translator (namely you as you volunteered) than trying to secure a Japanese translator (which we do not have secured and may not find). If we could find one, their time would be better spent translating something that no translation in any language exists for if you ask me. And I say yes, lets do this thing :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:18 am 
Site Admin

Cool. I'm game. I have the full script. All menu text
Would of course be easily translated. Items, etc
Would need to be translated though. The script
Fitting should not be an inssue since I coded the
Insertion system.:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds like a plan. Every game has a story to unlock, and not every meaning is conveyed merely by the Japanese words. While digging through every nuance, I believe that anything possibly lost in a literal translation will be adequately gleaned - whether by extrapolation or in the forms of direct contributory evidence portrayed through aurals and visuals. I also see conversion from the French as a valid alternate path to a good and proper localization that will be well received not only by mainstream English-speakers who enjoy RPGs but those who are capable of appreciating everyone's efforts on both sides of the pond.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:43 pm 
Site Admin

Send me the scripts then, and I'll take a look. My French is not even close to as good as it used to be, but I'll know soon enough if I'm in over my head or able to give you guys a decent translation ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:58 pm 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Send me the scripts then, and I'll take a look. My French is not even close to as good as it used to be, but I'll know soon enough if I'm in over my head or able to give you guys a decent translation ;)
Have full faith in you, Drake.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:18 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:

Files sent!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:19 pm 

SO! are you guys officially doing Xak translation then? if you are I can add it to SnesRPGGaming homepage in-translation list, OR are you
waiting to see what Draken comes up with first?

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

I can tell you that I sat down with the files today, and so far, so good! It's actually kind of weird having both Japanese and French translations to look at when changing things to English, but it has really helped here and there. I guess it's official ;)

Do note, however, that G.O.D. takes precedence over this, so when Filler gets back to me with more translations for that game, my focus will have to shift.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:33 pm 

That's great to hear! I know you guys have an overflowing plate, but I really hope that someone will jump in and help make Magno's spanish translation of Romancing Saga 3 (amazing project that also made some improvements) finds its way to English. A few "translators" stepped up, but as far as I know disappeared and it's sitting at a standstill. Magno continues to state he will support whomever picks it up and help see an english translation through. Click on the link to go to the project thread.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,14980.80.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next