Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A series of videos about my experiences fan translating
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

I finally decided to do something with those interviews I did a while back. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/8NEacZ5kCEg

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: A series of videos about my experiences fan translating
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:49 am 

I thought the video was pretty interesting and I hope you continue with them. I really liked hearing about the early years of the translation scene including the stories about some of the core members here.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

Definitely an interesting watch! Whenever someone starts talking about the early days, it really brings me back. I got my start in 1996 in the very early days of 'the scene'. Things were certainly very different then as everything related to romhacking was in its infancy. Ahh... Memories... Or lack thereof as time seems to have the uncanny ability of eroding parts of our past ;)

Looking forward to seeing more!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:13 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
I thought the video was pretty interesting and I hope you continue with them. I really liked hearing about the early years of the translation scene including the stories about some of the core members here.

Thanks! I'll probably continue at this rate. Not sure how many videos I'll do, but probably a few more.

Draken wrote:
Definitely an interesting watch! Whenever someone starts talking about the early days, it really brings me back. I got my start in 1996 in the very early days of 'the scene'. Things were certainly very different then as everything related to romhacking was in its infancy. Ahh... Memories... Or lack thereof as time seems to have the uncanny ability of eroding parts of our past ;)

Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks! Even I was a bit surprised when I started matching the time periods up to the releases of web browsers. It really was the start of the WWW. I remember that time, but I didn't really use the web much until 95 and then I never found the romhacking scene until a number of years later. I do remember using Nesticle though. :) I feel bad that I never interviewed you. :( It would be cool to hear your experiences from back then.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Oh, I used to fire up good old Netscape Navigator and search the web for anything I could find. In the very beginning, that meant visiting Node99, and later, Zophar's Domain. I even made my own little romhacking fan page called "Draken's Den" on my local ISP, which has been lost to time. I was never really that good at hacking, though, so I'm not sure I'd be the best to interview. I also have very foggy memories of those days... It seems that substance abuse later in life has clouded quite a few memories. I'm afraid that maybe it wouldn't be the clearest picture of what was going on :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:34 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Oh, I used to fire up good old Netscape Navigator and search the web for anything I could find. In the very beginning, that meant visiting Node99, and later, Zophar's Domain. I even made my own little romhacking fan page called "Draken's Den" on my local ISP, which has been lost to time. I was never really that good at hacking, though, so I'm not sure I'd be the best to interview. I also have very foggy memories of those days... It seems that substance abuse later in life has clouded quite a few memories. I'm afraid that maybe it wouldn't be the clearest picture of what was going on :)

Sounds like you may want to lay off that stuff a little. ;) It really is hard to remember though. I'm hitting archive.org and my old blog posts, emails, and such just to keep myself honest when talking about this stuff.

Here is episode 2: https://youtu.be/DAuGo5YlDNk

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:19 pm 

It's kind of funny how sometimes when I look for how to do something romhacking related, I can end up with a tutorial for tools made in MS-Dos today.

Man how things have changed.

I'll watch these!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:35 am 
Site Admin

@Filler: Oh, worry not! Those were younger days of innocent experimentation - though maybe to a bit of excess...!

Just listened/watched your second video. Ahhh...! Hexadecimal and hex editors. I think that's how most people started out. My first go with the hobby was quite similar to what KingMike experienced. I remember putting together Romancing Saga 3 and Bahamut Lagoon menu patches way back in the day, long before proper translations (is there even one yet for RS3?) existed. I would later give up on BL, but kept pushing on RS3. DarkForce and I were palls at the time, and even he couldn't quite get that damned game to do what he wanted. I tried and tried to push myself to learn more, but eventually I gave up. It was only at the turn of the century, when I started working on Lennus-2, that I met up with WildBill, TheGun, and Taskforce of the then CTC. We decided to work together to achieve a better Lennus-2 translation as they were also really keen to work on the game. It was to be my final stab at putting out a fully-functional patch for a Japanese game. Well... obviously it wasn't the last time I worked in this hobby ;)

(I hope you don't mind me inserting my own random memories into this thread)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:07 pm 

I think there's an unfinished one for Romancing Saga 3, and one complete in Spanish. Kinda weird, seeing how the opposite is how things usually are...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

So you all are telling me the RS3 never received
A completed status in english!?