Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm hoping to get a pet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

Things have been pretty quiet around here so I thought I'd share my recent excitement. I've always loved and enjoyed snakes, and considered owning one as a pet for many years. I've always felt too "not settled down" to get one, but I feel like now is the time.

I'm okaying it with my landlord since it seems like they haven't had many (any?) reptiles kept in the apartments, plus my apartment manager obviously hates snakes. I could tell as soon as I mentioned it to him. :( Still, it will probably happen since there isn't a good reason for them to deny me. Crossing my fingers!

My question is, what do you think of snakes?

I've always loved them, so I don't fully understand the hate. I expect some people to dislike them out of general phobias, but I was actually surprised by the number of random people I mentioned it too that seemed so turned off by it. Thankfully, my closer friends and my next door neighbors seem really cool with it. My mom though... lol.

FYI: I'm planning to get a Corn Snake. They are the most popular starter snake, and have a reputation of being great pets.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: I'm hoping to get a pet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:47 pm 

"Why'd it had to be snakes?"

I personally like a lot of types of animals, but I never actually thought of owning anything more "rare" than a dog. I wouldn't be that happy to put something into a "cage" and let it be there. With a dog it can be with you around your house and go for a walk and I don't know, share life in a more closer way... Or something like that, sorry if it sounds too cheesy.

As far as my opinion on snakes... I don't know. I usually don't like animals without legs that much. I rather have some kind of lizard than a snake, for example. Although it has it's pros, if they don't have legs they can't wake you up when they want (Thank you, based dog of mine).

On the other had, they can be pretty cool looking, and are interesting animals nonetheless and seem to be quiet. And some have great behinds!

In general i'm neutral. I don't care about them but I can see why others do.

But anyways, if that's what you want and you can give the animal a good life (and you have the possibility, of course), go right ahead!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:14 pm 
Site Admin

Maeson wrote:
I personally like a lot of types of animals, but I never actually thought of owning anything more "rare" than a dog. I wouldn't be that happy to put something into a "cage" and let it be there. With a dog it can be with you around your house and go for a walk and I don't know, share life in a more closer way... Or something like that, sorry if it sounds too cheesy.
Nah, I hear what you're saying. I think it's a good match for me since it fits well with my lifestyle. We're both kind of independent and solitary. I identify with the way snakes are a little skittish, and like to just chill under a rock. :) I'm also encouraged by the fact that while corn snakes "usually live around 6–8 years" in the wild, "can live to be up to 23 years old" in captivity. It means they really thrive in captive care and can be a companion to me into my later years. Plus you can totally hold them and let them crawl around on you when you feel like it.

Maeson wrote:
On the other had, they can be pretty cool looking, and are interesting animals nonetheless and seem to be quiet. And some have great behinds!
Lol. That's amazing.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:53 pm 

Its an interesting choice in pets. A friend told me that they were pretty clever in escaping so I guess plan ahead in case that snake shows up next to your apartment manager. I think more me personally, the hardest thing for me would be feeding the snake mice and having to purchase them on occasion knowing they are going to die soon.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
Its an interesting choice in pets. A friend told me that they were pretty clever in escaping so I guess plan ahead in case that snake shows up next to your apartment manager. I think more me personally, the hardest thing for me would be feeding the snake mice and having to purchase them on occasion knowing they are going to die soon.
I love all (most) animals so I'd feel a little bad too, but I think it's hypocritical unless one is specifically vegetarian for moral reasons. I eat chicken and beef, snakes eat mice. I don't feel that bad when I catch that mouse pooping all over my kitchen in a mouse trap either. ;)

Some pet snakes will only eat live prey, but most eat frozen/thawed. It's a bit safer for the snake, arguably more humane for the mouse, and easier to control the size of the food for snakes as they grow.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:09 am 

Get a Chocobo.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:52 am 

umeshoryu wrote:
Get a Chocobo.

i 2nd that!

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:14 pm 
Site Admin

Heh, I definitely don't have room for a chocobo! Besides, there aren't any places to get Gysahl Greens around here.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:19 am 
Site Admin

I imagine a snake (Snake..!? SNAKE!!!!!!!) would be a pretty easy pet to take of. I have a little dog, and it's tough trying to find enough time to give her the attention she needs these days as my daughter sucks it all away. A snake, though, doesn't require as much care, so it should be a walk in the park.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:20 am 

Draken wrote:
I imagine a snake (Snake..!? SNAKE!!!!!!!) would be a pretty easy pet to take of. I have a little dog, and it's tough trying to find enough time to give her the attention she needs these days as my daughter sucks it all away. A snake, though, doesn't require as much care, so it should be a walk in the park.

Yeah, it only needs a few cardboard boxes, rations and an overly complicated plot, and the snake will do the rest.