Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Just wondering about...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:29 pm 

I'm just wondering if you guys mind at all that i have linked your patches on my website to pre-patched roms on OTHER websites?
If you do then I can remove the links.. it's just that I introduced myself to ANOTHER translation group's Website/Forum and was
greeted with a reply that I was VERY MUCH NOT expecting.. SO! it just got me thinking that if it bothers them, maybe it bothers
OTHERS.. so just thought i'd ask.

If it DOES bother you then I will happily remove the links, as I don't want to upset the D-D Team.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

Post subject: Re: Just wondering about...
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:40 am 
Site Admin

The trouble with prepatched roms is; 1. It's not always the latest patch. and 2. It mixes our derivative work with the original work. Distributing the original work like that is a no-no. For me, I advocate linking only to the translation patch. This is how it's done here, on my site, and on RHDN.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:51 am 
Site Admin

I would never jump all over you for doing so, but yes, I'm not in favor of this practice. Filler covered the main reasons this is a bad idea but I'll touch on them again.

First, as filler said, the biggest issue is not having the latest version in most of these patches. That is the great thing about being fan groups, we can fix what wasn't fixed the first time, unlike the professional companies that released back in the day. However, linking to a prepatched rom, how is someone to know it isn't the latest version?

Second, almost as important as the first, they never include our Readme. And those are pretty important. I mean, SSMS has some major caveats about playing people really need to read before playing.

Finally, the legal issue. This is more on you than us. While companies might not be paying attention anymore, do you really want to take that chance?

In the end, linking to a Japanese rom that will work for patching, a tool for patching and a guide for patching will get the same job done and is a bit more translation group friendly. Although, most groups will even be against this practice, as most groups don't like the association of the rom to the patch in the same place. Speaking for myself (not the group), I don't have a lot of issue if you do it like this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:38 am 

Ok, so i think changing the "game review" page download button to the patch page and NOT a rom page would be a better way
to go with this then, people can then just patch away at their own pace and risk to the fan-translated games, but i think i'll
just leave the official English games linked as they are. By doing the patches THIS way also will get more people to visit YOUR
site also, which is a good thing.

EDIT 1: ALL the links to your translated pre-patched games has been removed, the links now take the person to YOUR project
page that has the patch there for them to D/L. NOW! just to get Aeon Genesis game patch pages sorted and re-linked.

EDIT 2: ALL of Aeon Genesis pre-patched games has been removed also now, the links now take you to that game's project
page where you will find the most recent patch too. THAT took a while.. MAN! didn't realize how many games AG had actually
translated for the Snes/Sfc RPG fan-base.. :O

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy a positive experience at one of the other translation sites.

The old timers here at D-D have been involved with this hobby since about 1997. Through the years we've seen all sorts of people involved. Fortunately, most of the ones who brought unpleasantness to the mix appear to have drifted on, but a few may still be around. Generally, we try to voice our opinions in ways that address issues and not insult specific people, but we're all human and never perfect.

Although no one is in a position to dictate "rules" in this unstructured hobby, through the years, a few have tried. Still, conventional wisdom always emerges that suggests certain "rules of the road" to follow that may head off unnecessary, energy-draining conflicts. I believe that all people who have produced original intellectual content in the translation hobby have shared one overriding concern that is surely universal. That is to avoid behavior that wanders over the line into the realm of piracy and threatens our freedom to keep translating games and producing patches. As far as I know, since 1997, only one translation group has received a written "cease and desist" demand from a commercial production company. That involved an early version of RPGMaker.

So, try to learn from this experience, and you will find the right fit for yourself as you broaden your friendships and contacts and make further contributions to this hobby. Having worked with you for a while, I know your heart was in the right place.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

Actually, a few translation projects have received Cease and Desist letters... I think just this past week a DQVII 3DS team received such an e-mail. Good thing we work on older games ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:18 pm 

Draken wrote:
Actually, a few translation projects have received Cease and Desist letters... I think just this past week a DQVII 3DS team received such an e-mail. Good thing we work on older games ;)

...Yeah, I remember that one. Pretty sad thing... Some people believe it's because they are going to officially translate the game, but I'm not too sure, as they did the exact same thing several times before... We'll see.

At the very least they stopped them before doing it and not just as they finished the translation... This time, at least.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah... You know, I bet it's because they plan on releasing it on iPhone/android (we already have 1-6 and 8 on those platforms). Though I feel sorry for 3DS owners who were expecting this game to get localized, at least the game will probably be released once again in the West in some shape or form.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:44 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy a positive experience at one of the other translation sites.

The old timers here at D-D have been involved with this hobby since about 1997. Through the years we've seen all sorts of people involved. Fortunately, most of the ones who brought unpleasantness to the mix appear to have drifted on, but a few may still be around. Generally, we try to voice our opinions in ways that address issues and not insult specific people, but we're all human and never perfect.

Although no one is in a position to dictate "rules" in this unstructured hobby, through the years, a few have tried. Still, conventional wisdom always emerges that suggests certain "rules of the road" to follow that may head off unnecessary, energy-draining conflicts. I believe that all people who have produced original intellectual content in the translation hobby have shared one overriding concern that is surely universal. That is to avoid behavior that wanders over the line into the realm of piracy and threatens our freedom to keep translating games and producing patches. As far as I know, since 1997, only one translation group has received a written "cease and desist" demand from a commercial production company. That involved an early version of RPGMaker.

So, try to learn from this experience, and you will find the right fit for yourself as you broaden your friendships and contacts and make further contributions to this hobby. Having worked with you for a while, I know your heart was in the right place.

Thanks, and will do, my intent was clear thank god! the site was only meant to be a great resource place, didn't really want to upset people, but hopefully NOW that all pre-patched rom links have been removed from the review pages and links are now only to the projects page.. hopefully ALL will be happy. The sease and desist that really PEE'D me off was the "3D Chrono Trigger" remake fans were making, it looked amazing and Squeenix stomped on them like a little bug.. I WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YELRuYNBRDk

Spoiler! :

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Thanks, and will do, my intent was clear thank god! the site was only meant to be a great resource place, didn't really want to upset people, but hopefully NOW that all pre-patched rom links have been removed from the review pages and links are now only to the projects page.. hopefully ALL will be happy. The sease and desist that really PEE'D me off was the "3D Chrono Trigger" remake fans were making, it looked amazing and Squeenix stomped on them like a little bug.. I WAS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THAT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YELRuYNBRDk
I am SO unaware of what other groups are doing since about 2004. Just don't have the time. When I referenced C&D's, I was referring to 16-bit and SFC projects only. Meanwhile, as you acclimate to the culture further, once you find a comfortable balance, don't let anything or anyone spoil your fun! That's a platinum rule!