Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for Win 7 compatible alternatives for two utilities
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:15 pm 

First off I apologize if I posted this topic in the wrong section & belated seasons greetings to everyone on this fine community.

I will be upgrading my computer in a couple of months & along with it is the move from good old Windows XP to Windows 7. I've been reading up on this "better" (so they say) OS & what bothers me is that I've read all forms of DOS was taken out of Win 7 :shock:

I don't know what got into the minds of Win 7's programmers, maybe they think no one uses DOS anymore, but it sure is a bother especially if you use a few DOS Based programs on a daily or regular basis. I've even read that doing things such as a CHKDSK works differently in Win 7 & if you are going to do a CHKDSK of your primary Drive that you have to have it done on system reboot instead of being able to do so on the fly via command prompt.

Anyhoo, it is quite a bother & I'm pretty sure you kind folk can relate as many ROM translating tools are DOS based. I do not ROM Translate nor do I ROM Hack but I still do need a few of the apps you folk use so I can apply the fan translation patches that you & other fan translation groups have on offer.

I decided to post this topic to ask any Win 7 users on here (if there are any) on how some of these tools fare on Win 7. And to ask if there are Win 7 Compatible alternatives available?

I've also read that some DOS based apps can work on Win 7 whilst others needs something called DOSBox.

Now about the applications in question, they are....

SNESTool: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/18/

This one I use for when I need to add or remove a header onto a SNES ROM.

ucon64: http://ucon64.sourceforge.net/

I'm a bit surprised a lot of people no longer use this but this app is very useful as it can fix ROMs' checksum (CRC) values that gets messed up by ROM Hacks. And what's more important is it also handles ROMs from other systems as well even CD Based ones like the Playstation & Sega CD. It also fixes messed up "logo" data on GBA ROMs that have been ROM Hacked. And my most important use for it is that it can convert .smc files into .ufo files for use on a Super UFO game copier that I still have but can no longer use as its Disk drive has already died :(

This one's purely DOS (command line) based but there is a frontend for it also available on that ucon64 link I provided.

Hope you guys can shed some light into this matter for me :)

Post subject: Re: Looking for Win 7 compatible alternatives for two utilit
PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:49 pm 

you can always use the emulator, dosBox, if your familiar with it. Its takes a little getting use to, but if you use dos a bit you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out how it works. I use it to play old games like good old elder scrolls: Daggerfall, and Monolith's
Blood .. 'MORE BRAINS!!!' muwahaahaha. Anyways I'm pretty sure it would have no problems running those programs you like to use.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Windows 7 still has a command prompt so do not worry. It can still be found in the usual place - accessories.

And as was mentioned before. Dosbox is an alternative even if it doesn't.

However, it definitely does because I've used it quite a bit on other people's PC's I've dealt with. I personally refuse to install Windows 7 because I don't like the GUI interface :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:28 pm 

What the others said, or you could use NSRT, which I personally recommend since it has the functions of Snestool and Ucon combined, if I remember correctly. I don't have win 7 so I can't say it will work for sure, but its worth trying.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:40 pm 

Thank you for your replies folks :)

Jhutch321 wrote:
you can always use the emulator, dosBox, if your familiar with it. Its takes a little getting use to, but if you use dos a bit you shouldn't have any trouble figuring out how it works. I use it to play old games like good old elder scrolls: Daggerfall, and Monolith's
Blood .. 'MORE BRAINS!!!' muwahaahaha. Anyways I'm pretty sure it would have no problems running those programs you like to use.

Hopefully I too won't have difficulty setting DOSBox up when I get there :)

taskforce wrote:
Windows 7 still has a command prompt so do not worry. It can still be found in the usual place - accessories.

However, it definitely does because I've used it quite a bit on other people's PC's I've dealt with. I personally refuse to install Windows 7 because I don't like the GUI interface :)

Oh cool!

Thanks for the heads up on where I might locate the command prompt on Win 7:)

Personally I too do not want to upgrade to Win 7 as XP's still good, but the 64-bit platform is becoming mainstream so we're kind of have to switch some time or another.

Red Soul wrote:
What the others said, or you could use NSRT, which I personally recommend since it has the functions of Snestool and Ucon combined, if I remember correctly. I don't have win 7 so I can't say it will work for sure, but its worth trying.

Thanks for the hot tip, I'll have to try out NSRT then :)

And before I forget, I see another one of your projects will soon be available for the fan translation community to enjoy :) I'll definitely try out Silva Saga II once it gets released to the public :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:44 pm 

Yeah, NSRT should be fine replacement for most of ucon64's functions. For headers, you can always use TUSH. For patching, LIPS.

Also, some command prompt tips: to bring it up quickly, type CMD into the "Search Programs and Files" box in the start menu. To bring it up in a specific folder, make sure no files are selected then hold shift and right-click in the folder view. "Open command window here" should be in the menu that pops up.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:

As odd as it may be, i went from windows 95 to windows 98se and then to windows Xp and that is it! I got pissed when my dos protected mode stuff didnt work in Xp. i got around to windows programming. Now Vista and 7 wish to ruin me again. :) nothing but Xp gets installed on any of my systems.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

Same here Bongo` but newer hardware that is coming down the pipe is starting to get where it no longer is getting drivers for XP made for it. So eventually, we'll either be stuck on old hardware (not an issue, I already am on old hardware hahaha, but this Pentium D serves me well) or we'll be forced to upgrade because of the lack of drivers. Many store bought PC's already have hardware without drivers. Especially newer laptops.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:25 am 

While Win 7 is probably a move in the right direction, unlike Vista, I don't trust its compatibility mode enough to move all my stuff to its environment, plus dual booting is really annoying.
I suppose one could use VMs to get different OSes to run simultaneously but that too is unecessary in a lot of cases.
W7 only justifies itself currently as I see it if one is after bleeding edge PC gaming with super heavy duty hardware
and RAM ammounts (as it is 64bit).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:45 am 

For whatever it's worth, it's pretty easy to get Win 7 looking mostly like pretty much any other older Windows. The start menu ends up looking a little different but my taskbar is identical to XP, with a quick launch bar, a system tray and the tasks between the two. My regular file manager looks pretty close to XP too. It's all just tweaks that take maybe ten minutes to learn about via google.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!