Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Looking for Win 7 compatible alternatives for two utilit
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:51 am 

If only somebody could develop an all encompassing, "all you really need", final OS that will last for decades & will never see a newer version for a long while things would be awesome. But alas such a thing seems impossible for many factors including of course crackers who want nothing more to destroy the OS infrastructure & exploit weaknesses of it :(

I can understand if Microsoft or any other OS Maker needs to launch newer versions of their products, but why must they do it so frequently? Windows 7 hasn't even gone very far compared to say WinXP & now Windows 8 is right around the corner :(

I also do not appreciate the fact that you'd have to buy a newer OS instead of being given the option of just downloading an upgrade patch for your current older OS. I can accept the fact that XP is a 32 bit based & Win 7 is 64-bit so a major upgrade ergo buying the newer OS is the only way to go, but when say Win 8, 9 etcetera comes along & they're still 64-bit that you could just opt for a free full upgrade because these things are not cheap! Sure for an American or for a person from a richer nation $200USD may be peanuts, but for those who are from poorer nations such as from where I am, the thing costs way too much... in the thousands range even. And the sad bit is the expensiveness of the OS is seen as an excuse or even a justification to pirate the thing :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:26 pm 
Site Admin

Oh man, don't even get me started on this. Both my XP and 98 got busted around the same time in November (the XP hard drive went dead and the 98 motherboard and power supply both got fried)... And I was forced to get a Windows 7 which sucks to say the least! I seriously hate it's interface style and 64-bit OS. I have a bunch of old, but very useful programs which no longer work with Win7, but did with all the previous version of Windows. Among them are Webster's Dictionary and Snes Tool 12 which were both great programs that I used quite a lot. Man, now I seriously miss the 16-bit and 32-bit OS. The Windows XP was seriously the last good computer ever made.

I also don't like that they removed the PS/2 ports for the mouse and keyboard forcing you to buy one of those USB-PS/2 converter plugins. Seriously, those USB keyboards and mouse suck! Ahh damn, and to think that I had that 98 for about 13 years and the XP for around 7 years... I'm seriously going to check out some of those retro electronic shops in my area to see if I can find either a Windows 98, Me or perferably XP again. I'll still use the Win7 for online use, but I need a older computer for offline use of my old DOS based programs.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:25 am 
Site Admin

Couldn't you just run DOSBox?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:47 am 
Site Admin

It's more than just about the DOS based programs... I also don't like the Windows 7 and Vista GUI, I prefer the classic style. Also, the look of the menus and default programs are different too. Heck, even the card games' look has been changed. Seriously speaking, now what's the point of that...? Ah, and the Windows Me/XP Space Cadet Pinball game is gone too! I really loved that game, the new ones suck!

Edit: I know that the appearances can be changed to "classic" style in the menu options, but it's still not really the true "classic" style. Furthermore, I dislike the way that these new computer models are made. Before, you could easily open up the tower and change or replace any components that you wanted to. Now, everything is a jumble of wires and parts which are glued/tied down and covered with metal plates everywhere so that you can't take it apart, let alone put it back together. I also dislike the idea of a computer telling me that I don't have "access" to a file or folder. I bought the darn thing, I should be allowed to access what I want on it. IE8 and 9 are also pretty crappy... Yeesh, what was wrong with IE7? Even IE6 was better than the newer versions. I'll just get a cheap Win98 for offline use.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:48 pm 
Site Admin

CRV10 wrote:
If only somebody could develop an all encompassing, "all you really need", final OS that will last for decades & will never see a newer version for a long while things would be awesome. But alas such a thing seems impossible for many factors including of course crackers who want nothing more to destroy the OS infrastructure & exploit weaknesses of it :(

Sadly, the no updating just isn't possible, but the OS that last decades happened. its called linux :)