Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Am i the only o e who likes this game?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:11 pm 
Site Admin

Why does The Last Battle for Snes get passed over soo much? Has some one played this game, who understands japanese, felt this game sucks pretty badly? I just don't get it...

Post subject: Re: Am i the only o e who likes this game?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:54 pm 

I never heard of this one Bongo'
Do you think its a good game?
The only "Last Battle" I know is a bastardized Hokuto no Ken game for the Genesis haha.

According to Gamefaqs though "The Last Battle" has nothing to do with that, thankfully.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:48 pm 

I think the best way to figure whether this game truly sucks or not is to hack it and recruit a translator.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Forgive me if I've made this rant here before, but I find that liking something seems to have as much to do with identity as it does with quality. I think that it's very hard to judge things solely on quality (probably unfair to do so in some ways), but it means that there are some things that are not tried simply because they do not fit in with how we see ourselves. Whereas some things that do are forgiven and enjoyed for what they are. It's that initial hurdle of giving something a try that I think has more to do with who we are than how good something is. That said, I have not played the game so I can't say one way or the other. :( What do you like about it?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:53 am 
Site Admin

I watched the intro before hitting start, played a little of the first town, and scanned through some of Ritchie's FAQ. It looks like a decent game. I would do my part if the group wanted to localize this game. I'm sure it has a story ready to be brought to life in English. They all do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:31 am 

I guess once things settle down a bit we could use a period of time
to weight in new projects by playing the potential games a bit,
although it can be hard to derive a wholesome sense of quality
with just a faq to guide gameplay.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 am 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Forgive me if I've made this rant here before, but I find that liking something seems to have as much to do with identity as it does with quality. I think that it's very hard to judge things solely on quality (probably unfair to do so in some ways), but it means that there are some things that are not tried simply because they do not fit in with how we see ourselves. Whereas some things that do are forgiven and enjoyed for what they are. It's that initial hurdle of giving something a try that I think has more to do with who we are than how good something is. That said, I have not played the game so I can't say one way or the other. :( What do you like about it?

filler:
It's fiunny. When I like a game or am willing to hack a game, I have to first
like the battle system. I do in this case. The menu system has to be decent
which I believe this game has a decent GUI. The way the text looks and flows
helps as well. And once I look at the code, I have to be able to follow it and
see if the coding is some thing I can learn from. As weird as these requiresments
are, it's all I have to go by since I can't read japanese. :)

Red Soul:
I definitely don't want to add to the plate just yet. Besides, I still have a
horse dropping load of menu stuff to figure outfor Minerva. The game is a mess
in some places, but it is a mess that is fun to clean up. :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:33 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
It's fiunny. When I like a game or am willing to hack a game, I have to first
like the battle system. I do in this case. The menu system has to be decent
which I believe this game has a decent GUI. The way the text looks and flows
helps as well. And once I look at the code, I have to be able to follow it and
see if the coding is some thing I can learn from. As weird as these requiresments
are, it's all I have to go by since I can't read japanese. :)

Heh, this conversation sounds familiar. That makes a lot of sense. Now I'm wondering how I normally choose a project. I guess I tend to like the anime based games because I start off liking the anime/manga and then I wonder what the game is like. Normally I don't really care about the gameplay all that much, I just want to get my hands on the script so I can see what is going on in the story. I suppose in that case things like the quality of the writing and the story/characters can make a difference to me. I think the trouble with many of these Japanese games is that you don't really know what that's going to be like until the script is in your hands. EK for example dumped s script for this game called Joker on the X68K. I knew nothing about it (I don't think EK did either, I think it was just picked kind of randomly), and actually seeing the graphics, they aren't that good. :( However, I'm rather taken with the script. It's pretty awesome so far. The writing is several notches higher than most games. I've only just started to play games raw recently, so now for instance I'm checking out some more PC-FX games to see what seems really cool and what may not be as interesting as it seems at first blush. Also I think sometimes I just have a game that has always looked cool. A lot of times these are anime based games still, but sometimes I've just really wondered for years what a game was like but didn't feel competent enough to play it in Japanese. I suppose I have the means to be a little more picky and try these things out first now.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:49 am 

A lot of this interest may derive simply from the fact that the Japanese gaming industry is so prolific that one will
always get a sense that a lot of cryptic, great games lie in wait beyond the ever-so-present language barrier.

Maybe just seeing said barrier waning down before our very eyes is a great part of the whole satisfaction of
doing what we do; I couldn't explain the fact that now and then groups release polished patches for games that
essentially don't quite deserve them in the eyes of the wider public in any other way than that.

What I'm trying to say is, ultimately, it is the combined interest of a group's members
in a japanese game that makes patches come to light, or rather what creates the
combined motivation for that to happen.

Personally, I think the quality of the work done in a patch is reflected more
in how well a group works togheter more than the game itself; if its
a likeable game, it will most likely result in a good patch, in time.

I'm not sure if I ranted for too long, maybe I went even off topic LOL sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:16 am 
Site Admin

Same here, I also generally prefer anime based games which usually tend to be better than other types. Characters, story and gameplay are more important than graphics in my opinion (I'm mainly a Gens and Snes fan after all). I can't really say that I worked on a lot of projects so far except for my Romanian translation of Chrono Trigger and with D-D on Burning Heroes and Record of Lodoss War which is still in progress. But these are generally the types of characteristics that I look for in a game that I consider worthy of being hacked/translated. Red Soul also makes a good point about the group effort involved in any type of project, especially a translation. You can really tell when a game has been translated with careful attention and passion for the script. As for "Last Battle", that's one of those rare Snes titles which I never heard of... It sounds kind of interesting, I'll definitly check it out (including Ritchie's FAQ).

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)