Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Windows 7, Is It the Answer?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I just installed 7, mainly because my laptop came with Vista and 7 was free. (Roommate's got 8 Win 7 Pro keys through his school.) I figured it couldn't be much worse! It's much faster than Vista so far, which is nice. I can actually run an Aero theme without my system chugging like a coal locomotive. I'm of middling opinion on the new taskbar grouping/icons/behavior, but I think I'll get used to it. Also, with user account control turned on, I couldn't save anything to my c:\ root with Firefox (wtf!) I mean, I kind of understand *why* but still, that @#$% got turned off right quick.

I do have a few gripes, though.

* They've removed the "Size" display in the status bar. Instead you need to bring up the big ugly clunky "display pane" and if you select more than 15 items, you apparently have to hit a "Show More Details" button. THEN you have to do it AGAIN if you select any more items. This is bogus.

* The vertical spacing in list view is a bit too wide for my tastes.

* The horizontal spacing in the list view is no longer consistent. Each individual column is now as wide as the widest name in that column, as opposed to all columns having the same same width. I prefer the way it used to work, because it forced me to keep my filenames shorter, and it made everything look more uniform.

If anyone has any tips on any of the above, let me know.
I would appreciate hearing those tips, too.

In the limited time I experimented, I could find no way to call up classic styles in the Start menu or file structuring.

Icon sizing irritated me especially.

I'm happy I can turn off that restriction to saving on the root directory. Didn't take time to run it to ground.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7, Is It the Answer?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:46 pm 

The person that built my current machine installed Seven in one of the partitions but I hardly used it at all, although it does look nice I see no point at all, especially after trying Dolphin 64bit on it to find no noticeable difference in performance whatsoever, not to mention that the system monitoring program I use to control power consumption doesn't work on 7, as doesn't the video card managing program that is indispensable to me (for one it lets me control color saturation, as I can't stand overwashed colors.