Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 7, Is It the Answer?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Well, I despise Vista, quite frankly. I don't know why I clung to Win98 with emulation work until support ceased, but I did. I shouldn't have, however, because transitioning to XP was as smooth as a baby's behind. Nevertheless, I've been loading Vista systems for a few years now because some family members use it. I learned just enough to get by, but Vista is a pain-in-the-bahookus for translation work because every time I run an insertion system, it seems I must hit a bunch of extra keys to get through all of the security confirmations.

Now, Windows 7 supposedly eliminates the snail that Gates inbred into Vista. One reviewer quoted a Microsoft source who supposedly said, "Windows 7 is Vista," adding words to the effect that the snail had been expunged. Next, I hear that the top two tiers of Win7 have an XP emulator, as it were. If true - and it works as slick as the real thing - that is where I would probably live in a Win7 system, especially if it eliminates all of those security checks whenever I run home brew programs that create translated games.

Seriously, whenever I'm writing a game story, I may execute the inserter and recompile the ROM as many as four or five times a minute, cycling between it and ZSNES, hitting game reset and F4 on the emulator to access the most recent areas changed. I do this so I can quickly check the page formatting and syntax of my latest modifications. In other words, I build each and every game screen by hand so I can observe all of the visuals and aurals, tweaking each scene to perfection, a task that is impossible using an auto-formatting word processor. (To see a fine example of this process, play the beginning of Mystic Ark. By using creative punctuation and a well-timed pause tag, I synchronized the conversion of the goddess's tear into the crystal, perfectly with the opening sound of the Shrine's southern door!)

If hitting those extra security clicks each time the screen grays out causes me a time degradation of just one cycle per minute, I have lost an efficiency factor of as much as 25%. Assuming I need approximately 1000 hours to write a game using Vista, that's 250 hours wasted, or about 1-to-2 months of added production time per game just for the story writing. Or, if I'm overestimating the deleterious effects of Vista, the aggravation alone caused by plowing through Vista's extra layers of security distracts me from my muse, work flow, and overall purpose...

...unless I have missed something in Vista's options that would enable me to change settings so that user-defined, home-built insertion programs would execute each time without multiple confirmations - in other words - turn off that particularly annoying Vista feature! As I said, I learned just enough Vista to get by.

So, if anyone is using Win7 and has tried XP mode, I would be curious to learn how well it works, speed-wise and emulation support-wise.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7, Is It the Answer?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:51 am 

I don't like Vista, honestly I think its the worst piece of software Microsoft ever birthed, along with maybe windows ME.
Anyway, I can't say I used Vista firsthand (I figure if I had, I might have lost my sanity by now).
I read COUNTLESS reviews about Vista by many different sources and none of them could cite a good thing about Vista
besides its lustrous graphics.

Its easy to see how Vista is flawed. Check any game's requirement regarding Vista, and they tend to basically double; so the fact Vista can handle more resources than XP becomes quickly overshadowed by the poor execution of said handling.
not to mention the ridiculous compatibility issues it has with a truckload of current software.

I used W98 SE for a long time, refusing to migrate to XP when it was released (its never smart to migrate to new OSes immediately)
I didn't regret waiting, and migrated to XP when it proved stable enough, and it has been since. Its defintely my OS of choice, having used a few Linux distribution in an experimental basis (and not really liking it).

I intend to do the same with W7; until it proves itself solid and well established, I will remain with XP, as its excelent.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 am 
Vista should be banished from world history.

I was expecting a good windows 64 bits with portuguese language for a long time. I hope windows 7 doesn't disapoint me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:50 am 

Lalakoboldslayer wrote:
Vista should be banished from world history.

I was expecting a good windows 64 bits with portuguese language for a long time. I hope windows 7 doesn't disapoint me.

I hope for the very same my friend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:41 am 
Site Admin

Why not just use XP. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:51 am 

It will take a while before leaving XP behind will become justifiable anyhow.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:28 pm 
taskforce wrote:
Why not just use XP. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

It's not that it's broke, but it would be better.

Having an 64 bits OS would help improve some of my aplications. I mean, I'm using the 32 bits versions, because I don't have a 64 bits OS, but it's performance is slower.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:51 pm 

Yeah still unless I'm wrong the number of 64 bit enabled applications is way too small as of yet, so even if you had W7 and a 64bit processor to make the most out of it, you would still be running at 32bit for the sake of compatibility, so there's no point yet.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:43 pm 
Red Soul wrote:
Yeah still unless I'm wrong the number of 64 bit enabled applications is way too small as of yet, so even if you had W7 and a 64bit processor to make the most out of it, you would still be running at 32bit for the sake of compatibility, so there's no point yet.

Yeah, it's number is small, but there are some that I would want to run the 64 bits version.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:59 am 

Does anyone know how compatible various programs are between Vista and Windows 7? I haven't read of any problems like the ones in the transition from XP to Vista. I have a laptop I think I can upgrade at Best Buy for $40 because I got after a certain date, but I want to make sure everything would still work afterwards, mainly Civilization 4 because I made a ton of additions for the game.

In general I am in agreement on XP vs Vista. My older computer runs on XP and I still prefer it to Vista. Its not so demanding resource wise, is easier for me to keep things organized and doesn't have all those compatibility problems.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons