Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Why is this?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:34 pm 
Site Admin

I have been trying to figure out why i don't play new gen rpgs. I can play many of the older rpgs with no problem but i cant seem to dedicate myself to these new games. Very few. Another thing that really bothers me is that i defintely won't play a game i assisted in translating. Now this i do not understand.

Anyone else like this? Refering to the latter part.

Post subject: Re: Why is this?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
I have been trying to figure out why i don't play new gen rpgs. I can play many of the older rpgs with no problem but i cant seem to dedicate myself to these new games. Very few. Another thing that really bothers me is that i defintely won't play a game i assisted in translating. Now this i do not understand.

Anyone else like this? Refering to the latter part.
No, but don't forget, you have other matters on your mind right now that are much more important than the games.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
No, but don't forget, you have other matters on your mind right now that are much more important than the games.
Which is precisely why it's fun to stop and think about games once in a while. Put all that other stuff aside. :)

Bongo` wrote:
Another thing that really bothers me is that i defintely won't play a game i assisted in translating. Now this i do not understand.
I am like this. I think it has to do with having translated the script for the game I've already gotten most of what I wanted out of the game simply by doing that. I was curious as to what happened in the game and after translating the entire script, that curiosity is more than satiated. From there merely playing a sample of the gameplay gives you pretty much the whole picture. It's a little boring to play a game that you yourself translated/hacked to completion for this reason. There are certainly exceptions but that's my basic reasoning.

Bongo` wrote:
I have been trying to figure out why i don't play new gen rpgs. I can play many of the older rpgs with no problem but i cant seem to dedicate myself to these new games. Very few.
As for me I find I miss the time when I felt it was worth it to pour myself into an RPG and eek every last bit of playablilty out of it. I feel like it's not that the games have changed but that I have changed. If games are different now, I can still go back and play old games, however I don't. I like to play new stuff as it comes out and I find I appreciate more and more the 10-20hrs games, ones that are more respectful of my time and level of commitment. I'm not to the point of playing silly cell phone games for 5 minutes at a time, but I do miss engrossing myself in some RPG game for hours on end. I wonder if that kind of experience is lost to me forever or if I just need to be at a point in my life where I can put aside the myriad distractions and fast pace of "modern" life and play some of those old-school games.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:41 am 
Site Admin

I too still much prefer older rpgs (and games in general) as opposed to new ones. Personally, I think it's because older games had much better story lines, characters and overall game play than newer games which mostly focus only on improved graphics (most of which I don't even like by the way, I like the Gens and Snes style graphics more than the newer consoles...).

As for not being able to play games which one has translated, the reason is probably as what Filler said. Once you work on translating/hacking every bit of text in it, there's no more surprise when playing it. You practically know every bit of text that appears in it, so that takes away from the fun factor. If you put it away for awhile though, you can come back and still have fun playing it.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I too still much prefer older rpgs (and games in general) as opposed to new ones. Personally, I think it's because older games had much better story lines, characters and overall game play than newer games which mostly focus only on improved graphics (most of which I don't even like by the way, I like the Gens and Snes style graphics more than the newer consoles...).

As for not being able to play games which one has translated, the reason is probably as what Filler said. Once you work on translating/hacking every bit of text in it, there's no more surprise when playing it. You practically know every bit of text that appears in it, so that takes away from the fun factor. If you put it away for awhile though, you can come back and still have fun playing it.

I believe the last RPGs I played were Skies of Arcadia Legend ( GC ) and FF3 ( DS ).
Oh, I played to completion Tales of Symphonia. That game was bad ass.

I can pick up FF1 and finish it to completion if about 2 days because I hack the crap out of it.
I also went back and beat just about all the metroid games. Love Metroid.