Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Post subject: Re: Our patches being sold...
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:55 am 

His name is Jared Blackburn and he's from Kentucky.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:48 am 

Draken wrote:
Oddly enough, I was a little shocked to learn that the person who runs the site goes by the nickname Necrosaro.... Could it be...?

The name comes from DQ4, right? Considering its popularity, I'd imagine there's probably at least a few on the Internet.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:42 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Draken wrote:
Oddly enough, I was a little shocked to learn that the person who runs the site goes by the nickname Necrosaro.... Could it be...?

The name comes from DQ4, right? Considering its popularity, I'd imagine there's probably at least a few on the Internet.
The man Draken is referring to is a fellow DW-lover who was once part of us and J2e, an old translation group, going back about 14 years. "Our" Necro coded "Thingy", an early hacking tool. He also contributed to our Earthbound Zero dumping fund; he was the lead hacker on our TND project (In fact, he released TnD V0.99 a few years ago.); he contributed to our Phantasy Star Gaiden, Villgust, and Ranma patches; and he attended UCLA. Our Necro's last name starts with a "G", I believe. No, our Necro is an honorable man who would never do such a thing as pirate other people's English stories and the fruits of other people's insertion tools!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:40 pm 

Has everyone pretty much given up getting him to take the stuff down? He still has several DD games along with ones from AGTP and Transcorp. I wonder if he just removes the screens saying who did all the translation work.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:18 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
Has everyone pretty much given up getting him to take the stuff down? He still has several DD games along with ones from AGTP and Transcorp. I wonder if he just removes the screens saying who did all the translation work.

Dude is a loser. But to be honest, what he is doing has been going on in the US for years. It was not stopped in the past and I doubt we will be able to do anything with him now. As soon as he goes down another one will pop up sooner or later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:03 am 
Site Admin

I ran into many roadblocks with his current host. They are based in HongKong, and I was pretty much told that nothing would get taken down unless an e-mail was sent from any of the companies (Squeenix, etc.) who own the original copyrights. :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:07 am 

http://transcorp.parodius.com/forum/YaB ... 1295241410

D has some advice on how to handle the situation. Perhaps it might be worth a shot.

In other news, I recently found out that some of my patches were being sold by someone. Luckily, the person doing this turned out to be much more reasonable and understanding than I'd thought he be. So long story short, he removed what I asked him to remove.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:30 am 
Site Admin

The guy's host is in HongKong, so sadly, any e-mail mentioning the DMCA has no effect.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:29 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
KingMike wrote:
Draken wrote:

The man Draken is referring to is a fellow DW-lover who was once part of us and J2e, an old translation group, going back about 14 years. "Our" Necro coded "Thingy", an early hacking tool. He also contributed to our Earthbound Zero dumping fund; he was the lead hacker on our TND project (In fact, he released TnD V0.99 a few years ago.); he contributed to our Phantasy Star Gaiden, Villgust, and Ranma patches; and he attended UCLA. Our Necro's last name starts with a "G", I believe. No, our Necro is an honorable man who would never do such a thing as pirate other people's English stories and the fruits of other people's insertion tools!

Haha, thanks for the kind words wildbill! Your details were only slightly off - I actually attended UCI for grad school, and my last name starts with a "J".

Now, if I were to package up fan translations and sell them as console cartridges, I would do it right or not at all - crowdfund the upfront investment for production, design and create high-quality packaging and artwork in conjunction with the translation team(s), track down the original game's development team and get their support behind the project (possibly conduct exclusive interviews about the original development team/process), and finally, seek approval (whether an informal nod or a legal licensing agreement) from the current intellectual property holder.

Actually, that sounds pretty awesome. Has anyone in the rom-hacking community ever tried something like this? Anyone think it could actually work?

(enjoying the irony of my 'necro' post...)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6