Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Gamepads
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:44 pm 
Site Admin

Last night, I wore out a game pad, an aftermarket SNES clone I picked up on the cheap years ago.

I thought Odysselya-I was crashing in a new place, that the game had frozen. I had just ended a late game boss battle on the run up to the final two chapters of 14 total, the battle to remove a curse on ally Garuda.

Infrequently, my operating system becomes corrupted. I re-booted the PC. Then, I attempted to remap the buttons. That’s when it hit me. So, I trundled off to steal a spare game pad from my travel bag. Everything is all good now.

The best aftermarket SNES game pad I’ve found is the classic Buffalo. Don’t buy the $9 clones. You get what you pay for.

Post subject: Re: Gamepads
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

You know it is funny. I've never completely worn out a controller since the NES. I did wear out a few atari ones but you can't look at an atari controller without it going bad. I do have 1 PS1 dualshock controller with an issue where there is something I need to get out of the right thumb stick (piece of plastic probably) but I didn't cause the issue (someone else borrowing it did) so I don't count it and it works fine just rattles and gets jammed sometimes returning to center. And I've had to take one of my PS3 controllers apart to sure up the foam where the ribbon connects to the circuit board because it had collapsed over time. It has worked fine ever since I did. What a dumb design that was. Using pressure with foam to secure a circuit connection is designing things to break so you'll buy a new one. Heck, besides that, I've never even had stick drift. Then again, I don't try to mash the buttons to China like some people when playing either. Guess I'm just really light on them.

Post subject: Re: Gamepads
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:27 pm 

Cheap clone pads are definitely a waste of money.
Had one where the dpad broke off after a week, and another with really horrible input detection.
I've been using the 8bitdo M30 as my main pad for retro gaming for the past couple years.
Thing is solid as a rock, still works great after constant button mashing, has the feel of the original 6-button sega genesis pad (has shoulder buttons, so it works as a snes pad too), and even makes a decent fightpad.