Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 pm
Posts: 108
hausen wrote:
hausen, did you ever find an SRM save point system in Shiki Eiyuuden? I thought it might be "Instruction book" at the boat landing on the home island, the stamp book from Old Man Chen the hermit, the scroll from the military commander, or the hotel in Luoyang. It's not, apparently, and with the "instruction book" offered or given at the boat landing, nothing showed up in my item list.
You mean how to save the game normally? Visit a sanctuary building and walk up to the back wall - there's one Sanctuary in each major city, such as Luoyang. It's the first building you see when entering that city.
Attachment:
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00285.png
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00285.png [ 12.97 KiB | Viewed 7122 times ]
I was puzzled by that instruction book item too. I guess it must refer, as a joke, the actual game manual that comes with the cart?

By the way - during Chen the hermit's training - did you know you can skip the rubik's cube puzzle by holding B on second controller? Either way, it's an annoying fact you cannot save the game until getting all the way to Luoyang in the beginning :?


Last edited by hausen on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:33 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
Bongo` wrote:
In the distant future, should God spare my freedoms and life, I may consider
finishing what I have started in the PSx partial clone. The game ( thanks W/B ) is called
"Shiki Eiyuuden" for the Snes. Here is the Title screen in question. :)
The best pithy (partial) English title I've derived is simply "Shiji Hero Legend".

Basically, this means "The Hero of the Ancient Chinese Record of a Legend in History" (or any order you choose to tangle up the words). Didn't see anything to gain including the "Dragon Man" portion of the game title. Nearly all such figures were "Dragon Sages" or highly skilled strategists who wielded scrolls, such as Zhuge Liang during the late Han Dynasty in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms era.

The Shiji is THE ancient Chinese historical record, assembled by the early Sima Clan more more than a millennium prior to the year 0. So, to keep a Chinese "flavor" in the game's name, I adapted it from Shiki (Unless someone has something more compelling and equally pithy for a semi-English title that includes the words "Hero", "Legend", and "Shiji"!


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 pm
Posts: 108
The "dragon man" part must refer to the hero's ultimate journey in the game - he becomes a "Dragon Sage/Hermit" (竜仙人) late in the game, also denoted by a sprite change...
Attachment:
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00286.png
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00286.png [ 8.11 KiB | Viewed 7122 times ]


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
hausen wrote:
hausen wrote:
hausen, did you ever find an SRM save point system in Shiki Eiyuuden? I thought it might be "Instruction book" at the boat landing on the home island, the stamp book from Old Man Chen the hermit, the scroll from the military commander, or the hotel in Luoyang. It's not, apparently, and with the "instruction book" offered or given at the boat landing, nothing showed up in my item list.

You mean how to save the game normally? Visit a sanctuary building and walk up to the back wall - there's one Sanctuary in each major city, such as Luoyang. It's the first building you see when entering that city.

By the way, did you know you can skip the rubik's cube puzzle(s) by holding B on second controller? Either way, it's an annoying fact you cannot save the game until getting all the way to Luoyang in the beginning :?
Oh, my gawd...! Tell me about it! That's what a fellow traveler at the boat landing meant when he said, First thing you should do when you reach Luoyang is go visit the Saint!" See? that's how things come together in a project. You insert something that's seems vague at the time. (What freaking Saint? It's really a Sanctuary!) Later, it all starts falling into place and making sense, and then you can go back and tighten up the consistency in your terminology!

As for color matching, I'm an idiot! I tried to hold down the B Button on just ONE dad-gum controller!!

Hee-hee...!


Image Image


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:53 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
hausen wrote:
The "dragon man" part must refer to the hero's ultimate journey in the game - he becomes a "Dragon Sage/Hermit" (竜仙人) late in the game, also denoted by a sprite change...
Attachment:
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00286.png
Absolutely! I learned that tidbit three days ago when while searching for the Introduction, I translated the Epilogue by mistake. I get the feeling that Old Man Chen is a retired Dragon Sage/Hermit, too! Another traveler at the boat landing said to the kid, "Believe those rumors!" What a great game this would be! If only someone FAST would translate it! for us!


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:05 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
hausen wrote:
hausen wrote:
hausen, did you ever find an SRM save point system in Shiki Eiyuuden? I thought it might be "Instruction book" at the boat landing on the home island, the stamp book from Old Man Chen the hermit, the scroll from the military commander, or the hotel in Luoyang. It's not, apparently, and with the "instruction book" offered or given at the boat landing, nothing showed up in my item list.
You mean how to save the game normally? Visit a sanctuary building and walk up to the back wall - there's one Sanctuary in each major city, such as Luoyang. It's the first building you see when entering that city.
Attachment:
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00285.png
I was puzzled by that instruction book item too. I guess it must refer, as a joke, the actual game manual that comes with the cart?

By the way - during Chen the hermit's training - did you know you can skip the rubik's cube puzzle by holding B on second controller? Either way, it's an annoying fact you cannot save the game until getting all the way to Luoyang in the beginning :?


Ack, finally... I'm saved!!

Image


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:19 pm
Posts: 108
Nice WB! :mrgreen: Another little detail to note is that, in the sanctuary buildings you're greeted by the voice of 禹聖人. Well this fella is no other than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_the_Great - the Sanctuaries are sort of shrines built to honor this Chinese patron saint it seems. (So in this sense, the traveler at the ferry place is actually dead-on when he says to "go visit the Saint!"... How about that!)

Also it just dawned on me yesterday - for the longest time I was puzzled by Jing Ke's (ケイカ) intro scene, the weird one in Yangzhai where there's some thugs and he crawls by one of them. I found out that it actually just recreates a story concerning a different military person of another era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Xin

The almighty powers of wikipedia saved me on this...
Quote:
Once, when he was suffering from hunger, he met a woman who provided him with food. He promised to repay her for her kindness after he had made great achievements in life, but it was rebuffed by her. On another occasion, a hooligan saw Han Xin carrying a sword and challenged him to either kill him or crawl through between his legs. Han Xin knew that he would become a criminal if he killed him, hence instead of responding to the taunts, he crawled through between the hooligan's legs and was laughed at.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:13 am 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
hausen wrote:
Nice WB! :mrgreen: Another little detail to note is that, in the sanctuary buildings you're greeted by the voice of 禹聖人. Well this fella is no other than https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yu_the_Great - the Sanctuaries are sort of shrines built to honor this Chinese patron saint it seems. (So in this sense, the traveler at the ferry place is actually dead-on when he says to "go visit the Saint!"... How about that!)

Also it just dawned on me yesterday - for the longest time I was puzzled by Jing Ke's (ケイカ) intro scene, the weird one in Yangzhai where there's some thugs and he crawls by one of them. I found out that it actually just recreates a story concerning a different military person of another era https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_Xin

The almighty powers of wikipedia saved me on this...
Quote:
Once, when he was suffering from hunger, he met a woman who provided him with food. He promised to repay her for her kindness after he had made great achievements in life, but it was rebuffed by her. On another occasion, a hooligan saw Han Xin carrying a sword and challenged him to either kill him or crawl through between his legs. Han Xin knew that he would become a criminal if he killed him, hence instead of responding to the taunts, he crawled through between the hooligan's legs and was laughed at.
So, I must change "Daoshi" at the landing back to "Saint" again. Is the structure more of a temple than a sanctuary? I have room for either name, if sanctuary is more accurate, but the game is already confusing. Anything I can do to make the clue a bit more clear about where to go "first thing" will help. Not sure if Taoism or Confucianism was extablished in Luoyang around 300 B. C..


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:53 pm
Posts: 875
Location: South Florida
Wildbill wrote:
hausen wrote:
hausen wrote:
hausen, did you ever find an SRM save point system in Shiki Eiyuuden? I thought it might be "Instruction book" at the boat landing on the home island, the stamp book from Old Man Chen the hermit, the scroll from the military commander, or the hotel in Luoyang. It's not, apparently, and with the "instruction book" offered or given at the boat landing, nothing showed up in my item list.
You mean how to save the game normally? Visit a sanctuary building and walk up to the back wall - there's one Sanctuary in each major city, such as Luoyang. It's the first building you see when entering that city.
Attachment:
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00285.png
I was puzzled by that instruction book item too. I guess it must refer, as a joke, the actual game manual that comes with the cart?

By the way - during Chen the hermit's training - did you know you can skip the rubik's cube puzzle by holding B on second controller? Either way, it's an annoying fact you cannot save the game until getting all the way to Luoyang in the beginning :?


Ack, finally... I'm saved!!

Image

Lol. looking at the amount of money you have, I suppose I need to "unhack" the feature back to normal.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:29 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:54 pm
Posts: 2156
Location: Virginia
Bongo` wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
hausen wrote:
hausen wrote:
hausen, did you ever find an SRM save point system in Shiki Eiyuuden? I thought it might be "Instruction book" at the boat landing on the home island, the stamp book from Old Man Chen the hermit, the scroll from the military commander, or the hotel in Luoyang. It's not, apparently, and with the "instruction book" offered or given at the boat landing, nothing showed up in my item list.
You mean how to save the game normally? Visit a sanctuary building and walk up to the back wall - there's one Sanctuary in each major city, such as Luoyang. It's the first building you see when entering that city.
Attachment:
Shiki Eiyuuden (Japan)_00285.png
I was puzzled by that instruction book item too. I guess it must refer, as a joke, the actual game manual that comes with the cart?

By the way - during Chen the hermit's training - did you know you can skip the rubik's cube puzzle by holding B on second controller? Either way, it's an annoying fact you cannot save the game until getting all the way to Luoyang in the beginning :?


Ack, finally... I'm saved!!

Image

Lol. looking at the amount of money you have, I suppose I need to "unhack" the feature back to normal.
Just don't set the CPL bandits loose on me!!


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group