Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:28 am 
Site Admin

In the distant future, should God spare my freedoms and life, I may consider
finishing what I have started in the PSx partial clone. The game ( thanks W/B ) is called
"Shiki Eiyuuden" for the Snes. Here is the Title screen in question. :)

Attachments:
SE-Title.png
SE-Title.png [ 12.56 KiB | Viewed 30189 times ]
Post subject: Re: What would this title look like in english?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:27 am 

史記英雄伝
〜人竜伝説〜

The Tale of the Legendary Hero
~the life of the dragon man~

史記(シキ)英雄(エイユウ)伝(デン)
〜人(ヒト)竜(リュウ)伝説(デンセツ)〜

This is my interpretation. Probably wrong, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Anyone else???? lol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Dackr wrote:
史記英雄伝
〜人竜伝説〜

The Tale of the Legendary Hero
~the life of the dragon man~

史記(シキ)英雄(エイユウ)伝(デン)
〜人(ヒト)竜(リュウ)伝説(デンセツ)〜

This is my interpretation. Probably wrong, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Anyone else???? lol

Woohoo! finally got an answer! YAY! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:51 pm 

Glad to help? Happy 4th of July!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:24 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
In the distant future, should God spare my freedoms and life, I may consider
finishing what I have started in the PSx partial clone. The game ( thanks W/B ) is called
"Shiki Eiyuuden" for the Snes. Here is the Title screen in question. :)
Digging up info on this. I have found a complete walkthrough of the game at a Japanese website. The writer appears to be a woman both amused and a bit put off by a masculine-defined game. She sort of rolls her eyes at the Han Dynasty setting (the historical aspect) and says, "I just want to play this game and not be bothered with all that." I see her point, because you deal with crowing chickens, housewives, old men with certain knowledge, kings, large eels, ramen shops, puzzle solving, weapons equipping, and the usual assortment of features typical of any given RPG. I am making perfect sense of most of the rough translation and have cleaned up a bit of the start. The location sort of centers around Luo Yang, the ancient capital of the Han Dynasty (ended after 200 A. D).

With a little digging and outside help at sticking points, I'm pretty confident I can crack this story, even though it appears a manga writer created this game and lifted Han Dynasty elements into a story actually taking place more around 1600 A. D. This makes the story medieval, not ancient.

Japanese writer's synopsis starts here:

It is a super masterpiece decorating the late stage of Super Nintendo Entertainment, and it is a super story.

It is based on Masashi Shiki "Shiki" written by Shimonoseki (manga?) as the title. The era is around the end of China Sengoku period (1600s?), people of that era appear in the center, but around the appearance of Sun Tzu etc. era verification is crazy. Even though I thought that it was a game that was going round the era of "Shiji" (94 BC - middle Han Dynasty).

Graphics and making are like RPG in the Nintendo period, BGM is pretty boring though conscious of "Fumihiko", but it is quite boring. Especially the theme of Han invites sleep (lol) (W/B: The gal doesn't like the Ro3K theme, like DoaE-I and II)

◆ Features ◆

Experience values accrue even if you run away.
Enemies do not drop money. There is no choice but to sell items picked up and items dropped by enemies.
Mini games are all tough puzzles. Clearly, this is a game for puzzle enthusiasts.
Weapons and armor are determined depending on your stats at that point. Without strength and durability, some won't work. If I have to train my body I can not handle heavy things. (?)
The scenario is "different". Although it 's a precious "historical", it is terrible that there are pieces that are comfortable with things that are only in modern times and comments from production staff.
Encounter rate is high, especially in dungeons. (Something) is oddly expensive. Keeping the encounter "Keisuke" can be used to keep Keika struggling until becoming a partner, but secret is a dungeon even effective in salvation(?).
In addition to the pot, items are falling on grass, shade of trees, wood. In other words, they are trying to find wasteful actions.

◆ Village of Hometown ~ Linzi (Shi) ◆
■ Hometown Village
The hero is a young man living in a rural village. His older brother became a soldier and was deployed to another country. His sister attempted suicide and was sold into slavery. The hero is bearing with this but impatient to do something.

▼ Home herbal medicine ▽ You can rest for free at the house of the old village east of your home or the village to the south.

▼ After fighting several times and speaking to villagers, return to your home.
Suddenly, a soldier who is being chased by someone appears at the hero's rural village. He hands you scroll and orders you to escape. (笑 い)

▼ While fleeing, you will have three battles with Korean soldiers but escape because you are too weak to win at this point. Even when you escape, you gain experience, so it's safe (lol)

When escaping to the back ▼ you will be led by Old Man Chen.
■ Chen's old man's house
▼ You will be allowed (forced?) to practice, regardless of the will of the hero.

◆ 3 Mini Games ◆
Serif of the hero "Teacher, what is this useful for?"
The production side also understands meaninglessness (laugh)

1. Color matching ▽ If you leave the 2 button B button pressed before color matching starts, it automatically adjusts.

2. Stone removal (lose to the last one to lose)
There is no set way to win, but here is one way.
In the second hand, the opponent comes with the winning method, so I can not win absolutely.

1. Take 3 pieces from the right mountain by hand.
2. If the other party takes a middle one, take one left.
3. Take one from the middle or right, so take two from one of the mountains → win

2. When the opponent takes 1 right, take 2 medians.
3. Take one left → win

2. When the opponent takes 1 left, take 1 middle.
3. Take one from the middle or right, so take two from one of the mountains → win

2, even if you take 2 opponents from the right and 3 from the middle you can definitely win.

3. Make a picture

This is easy with 9 parts in no particular order.

▼ Species. Immediately fill it in the garden of the old man Chen. Don't forget!
▼ To visit Nishi.
▼ Get a stamp book. Thereafter, you may receive a stamp if you press "Y button".
■ Transfer to Luoyang
▼ Get a Geroline from a traveler.
▼ You may visit this place from the beginning, yet the ship will not sail.
■ Passage to Luoyang
▼ Ground right herbal remedy
■ Luoyang
Quiz hermit (50 stamps)

◆ Stamp Hana Komachi (1)
Townman (2)
Bar in the bar 2F Food stall (3)
Lu Lui's house 2F customer (4)

▼ Hana Komachi Tissue ▽ I think there is nothing useful in particular.

▼ After fire event Lu Lui and conversation, get a seal of potter Zhuang and silk clothes

▼ Lu Feng House (After Fire)
1F Medicinal herbs, Genferin 3F Tamadan

▼ Visit Kisho who lives in the northern part of town.
▼ There is Ji Ji who wants an unusual item.

▼ Next I will go to see Taniko.
gather info at Lu Lui 's house.

-and so on until the end-

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:46 pm 

Yeah, I like the mix of genuine folktale and spurious JRPG conventions in this game!
Quote:
It is based on Masashi Shiki "Shiki" written by Shimonoseki (manga?) as the title. The era is around the end of China Sengoku period (1600s?), people of that era appear in the center, but around the appearance of Sun Tzu etc. era verification is crazy. Even though I thought that it was a game that was going round the era of "Shiji" (94 BC - middle Han Dynasty).
Ehh, nooo. It's based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_of_the_Grand_Historian, also known as "Shiji" written by chinese historian Sima Qian. The 94 BC date is when the book was written, but the the book itself chronicles the earlier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_period era. Due to Qin Shi Huangdi being a central character in this game, the story is probably supposed to take place around 260-210 BC. The unification of China (221 BC) is a late game story event by which it's possible to make a fairly good guess about the game's intended timeline.

The writer is correct in that there's plenty of "visitors" from different time periods like Sun Tzu. But the game explains it because they are "sages", therefore immortal persons :mrgreen:

Story snippets, like an early episode in Yan, retell actual folk tales through gameplay...
Spoiler! :
One day, king Zhao of Yan said to Guo Wei, a minister, “Can you tell me how I can get great talents?” Guo Wei replied by telling a story.

“Once there was a king who offered hundreds of ounces of gold for a winged steed, a horse which can run 500 kilometers a day. He sent one of his men to search through the country but the man only brought back a pile of bones of a dead steed for half of the gold. The king got outraged. But the man said, ‘When people learn that you have paid so much for a dead horse, they will certainly offer to sell you a steed if anyone has got one.’ As was expected, the king got three steeds in less than a year. If you are sincerely seeking top talents, why don’t you treat me as a dead horse of that sort now?”
How does this story play out in a true JRPG fashion you ask? You have to find the horse, kill it, and bring its bones to the king for a reward, of course. And all the npcs in the palace won't ever stop yapping about betting on horse races and stuff after that.

Your party member https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Xiangru is involved in several subplots. Notably later in the game, you have to take the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Shi_Bi to Qin's king, and Lin tricks the king by threatening to break the jade, just as in the story. Another party member https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jing_Ke gets a chance to throw a knife at Qin Shi Huangdi - the first emperor of united China, who by the way, is the player character's nephew - hey, why not.

A lot of stuff was made up and history details were streamlined by the writers. A long plot thread about a powerful sword called Damascus is entirely made up. There are robot enemies, hermits flying on clouds, demonic incantations, the big bad wanting to eat the player's liver to become an allmighty ruler of all China... it's all well and good.

I'm sure you've noticed how the game sometimes irritatingly throws japanese and chinese terms in a bowl and mixes them together. One good starting point of reference is the names of the seven states and their capitals - they feature often:
Spoiler! :
韓 Han
斉 Qi
燕 Yan
魏 Wei
趙 Zhao
楚 Chu
奏 Qin

陽翟 Yangzhai (capital of Han)
臨淄 Linzi (capital of Qi)
薊 Ji (capital of Yan, modern-day Beijing)
大梁 Daliang (capital of Wei)
邯鄲 Handan (capital of Zhao)
寿春 Shouchun (capital of Chu)
咸陽 Xianyang (capital of Qin, modern-day Xi'an)
洛陽 Luoyang (capital of the Zhou Dynasty)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Yeah, I like the mix of genuine folktale and spurious JRPG conventions in this game!
Quote:
Ehh, nooo. It's based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Records_of_the_Grand_Historian, also known as "Shiji" written by chinese historian Sima Qian. The 94 BC date is when the book was written, but the the book itself chronicles the earlier https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_period era. Due to Qin Shi Huangdi being a central character in this game, the story is probably supposed to take place around 260-210 BC. The unification of China (221 BC) is a late game story event by which it's possible to make a fairly good guess about the game's intended timeline.

The writer is correct in that there's plenty of "visitors" from different time periods like Sun Tzu. But the game explains it because they are "sages", therefore immortal persons :mrgreen:

Story snippets, like an early episode in Yan, retell actual folk tales through gameplay...
Spoiler! :
One day, king Zhao of Yan said to Guo Wei, a minister, “Can you tell me how I can get great talents?” Guo Wei replied by telling a story.

“Once there was a king who offered hundreds of ounces of gold for a winged steed, a horse which can run 500 kilometers a day. He sent one of his men to search through the country but the man only brought back a pile of bones of a dead steed for half of the gold. The king got outraged. But the man said, ‘When people learn that you have paid so much for a dead horse, they will certainly offer to sell you a steed if anyone has got one.’ As was expected, the king got three steeds in less than a year. If you are sincerely seeking top talents, why don’t you treat me as a dead horse of that sort now?”
How does this story play out in a true JRPG fashion you ask? You have to find the horse, kill it, and bring its bones to the king for a reward, of course. And all the npcs in the palace won't ever stop yapping about betting on horse races and stuff after that.

Your party member https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Xiangru is involved in several subplots. Notably later in the game, you have to take the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/He_Shi_Bi to Qin's king, and Lin tricks the king by threatening to break the jade, just as in the story. Another party member https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jing_Ke gets a chance to throw a knife at Qin Shi Huangdi - the first emperor of united China, who by the way, is the player character's nephew - hey, why not.

A lot of stuff was made up and history details were streamlined by the writers. A long plot thread about a powerful sword called Damascus is entirely made up. There are robot enemies, hermits flying on clouds, demonic incantations, the big bad wanting to eat the player's liver to become an allmighty ruler of all China... it's all well and good.

I'm sure you've noticed how the game sometimes irritatingly throws japanese and chinese terms in a bowl and mixes them together. One good starting point of reference is the names of the seven states and their capitals - they feature often:
Spoiler! :
韓 Han
斉 Qi
燕 Yan
魏 Wei
趙 Zhao
楚 Chu
奏 Qin

陽翟 Yangzhai (capital of Han)
臨淄 Linzi (capital of Qi)
薊 Ji (capital of Yan, modern-day Beijing)
大梁 Daliang (capital of Wei)
邯鄲 Handan (capital of Zhao)
寿春 Shouchun (capital of Chu)
咸陽 Xianyang (capital of Qin, modern-day Xi'an)
洛陽 Luoyang (capital of the Zhou Dynasty)
Super set of facts! I wonder how the Japanese lady got diverted so far off. Maybe she didn't know her Chinese history very well. Sima Qian's work was just about the first subject I researched. So I see the time period for Shiki Eiyuuden may be 500 years or more earlier than the Ro3K period.

Ummmm... assuming Bongo` gets a good story dump, would you be willing to [help] translate it and act in the role of a "period" coach?

One quick anecdote... 20 years ago while TF, I, and others worked on DoaE-II, I had contact with a native Chinese speaker who was hired by the U. S. government as an official translator for a major federal agency. I gave him a list of all the warlords in DoaE-II and asked him to translate the Kanji versions of those names - over 100 as I recall. He came back with about a dozen that offered multiple name options, saying they were so ancient and esoteric, modern schools didn't teach those ideographs any more.

For DoaE-II, I made a best guess, ran them through several teammates, and we went ahead with "something". Then, as time passed, I received inputs from players in Hong Kong, Singapore, Taiwan, and various places - all giving me "correct" Pinyin for those names, none in full agreement.

That makes my point. When it comes to ancient ideographs or names presented by Japanese writers in Kanji and/or Katakana, all we can do is the best we can do. I just want to put together another super RPG to play and learn a little more while doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:37 pm 

I'd be happy to help as "history coach", and to throw my suggestions into the ring with naming locations, characters, items, spells, enemies... my japanese is too weak to handle the actual nitty gritty work translating the bulk of its script and whatnot.

Great to see ideas for new projects tossed around... but this shouldn't hopefully draw too much focus away from your other projects nearing their finish lines atm though - GOD, SSMS2, Arethas, La Wares etc... but it's not a bad idea to have side diversions to work on every now and then, keeps ones mind fresh and open to new suprises 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:45 am 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
I'd be happy to help as "history coach", and to throw my suggestions into the ring with naming locations, characters, items, spells, enemies... my japanese is too weak to handle the actual nitty gritty work translating the bulk of its script and whatnot.

Great to see ideas for new projects tossed around... but this shouldn't hopefully draw too much focus away from your other projects nearing their finish lines atm though - GOD, SSMS2, Arethas, La Wares etc... but it's not a bad idea to have side diversions to work on every now and then, keeps ones mind fresh and open to new suprises 8-)
Once Bongo` gets me a structure and full dump, and long before we get to the point of needing a hardcore dedicated translator who is period-savvy, we can make a lot of headway on this game, even rough in a few initial chapters that catch the spirit of the game and is maybe 75-90% accurate.

That's what it takes sometimes to attract such a translator. No one wants to spend hours and hours doing a task for someone who will not follow through. Once prospective translators see that the production team is dedicated to finishing the work, I feel some are more likely to jump in and help with that critical part of the effort. I might ask someone to backstop us on those initial chapters. Once someone says, "Hey, I'll do just that much," occasionally they catch the bug and keep going.

Shiva Indus helped us that way on Silva Saga-II, Ritchie on Burning Heroes, Gerb on SSMS-II, and Filler on Aretha-I. Those first two games turned out super, and SSMS-II and Aretha-I may top them all!

Lennus-II took us ten years and five translators, but we got it done. If we can solve the coding requirements for Shiki, we'll get it done, too, (along with those games you mentioned that are all at V0.99 betas and just a few tasks away from beta testing) It won't take 10 years either, but it might require 2-5 years. No matter how long, I figure it's worth it, and none of us are quitters. We've been together in one form or another for nigh on 20 years.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:05 am 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:

hausen, did you ever find an SRM save point system in Shiki Eiyuuden? I thought it might be "Instruction book" at the boat landing on the home island, the stamp book from Old Man Chen the hermit, the scroll from the military commander, or the hotel in Luoyang. It's not, apparently, and with the "instruction book" offered or given at the boat landing, nothing showed up in my item list.