Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Future of D-D's Productivity
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:36 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Anyway, I can't imagine how that test was set up that caused you to struggle with it. There's a trick to these things sometimes and little guide books and such put out like those that help students bone-up on SATs, LSATs, etc.
It was samples of text representing the kind of translation work I'd be doing. I got dinged on things such as using the phrase "ladies and gentleman", since "we don't know the gender of the characters being addressed", so I'm not very impressed with the review process. No offense to the reviewer, but I'm fairly confident English is not their first language. At any rate, I appreciate the vote of confidence. :)

I'll be awaiting the details of the project.

Wow. I hope all works out for you, having little money sucks. I always frrl as if my jobis in jeopardy. This company loves contractors, and really loves to surplus regular employees.

As for the game, I didn't bither askinng becausr I know your hands are already full. Didn't know about real life stuff.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:39 pm 

This all sounds really interesting...hmmmm...

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
Wow. I hope all works out for you, having little money sucks. I always frrl as if my jobis in jeopardy. This company loves contractors, and really loves to surplus regular employees.

As for the game, I didn't bither askinng becausr I know your hands are already full. Didn't know about real life stuff.
Thanks. I brought this on myself for the most part. I don't blame myself for leaving my last job since it was causing me too much stress/anxiety, but my decision to start a business and sell on eBay was risky and I didn't change course quickly enough when my expenses were to high for my income. Additionally, were I being more realistic, I'd probably be trying to get work using my current technical skills rather than trying to switch careers during a financially vulnerable time. If it weren't for my dad letting me stay with him I wouldn't be able to do any of this, so I'm privileged in that respect.

From what I've seen of the game, it seems like something I'd be fine with translating. Like I said, I'd probably start on it later in the year, and it might take me a year or so to translate, so maybe late 2019 for a fully translated script.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

filler wrote:
Bongo` wrote:

Thanks. I brought this on myself for the most part. I don't blame myself for leaving my last job since it was causing me to much stress/anxiety, but my decision to start a business and sell on eBay was risky and I didn't change course quickly enough when my expenses were to high for my income. Additionally, were I being more realistic, I'd probably be trying to get work using my current technical skills rather than trying to switch careers during a financially vulnerable time. If it weren't for my dad letting me stay with him I wouldn't be able to do any of this, so I'm privileged in that respect.

From what I've seen of the game, it seems like something I'd be fine with translating. Like I said, I'd probably start on it later in the year, and it might take me a year or so to translate, so maybe late 2019 for a fully translated script.
You have a good dad, Filler! Wish you the best of fortune getting everything worked out and finding a comfort zone.

And we have a crew put together for the first proposed project! Like all of our work, we get after the various tasks when we can. Patience is a virtue. In the end, we usually get it done.

I'll reveal a bit more on the first game... It features a massive main world map and involves various means of travel to different times and places. The story is written 100% in Kana, the main reason my translating skills would fall short of meeting a certain standard of quality I try to reach in the projects I coordinate. Also, the only FAQs/walkthroughs I can find are all written in Japanese - the same situation I encountered with "Shiji", but there I had Kanji in the story, as well as Hausen to help me maintain the highest level of story accuracy.

Regarding the first new proposed game project, I was really hoping that someone such as Ritchie had done an English walkthrough, but no such luck. The game website auto-translations from Japanese to English aren't bad, and their detailed graphics are super, though. I imagine these will be quite useful playing and writing the story, but the information is spotty - centered mainly on tough major evolutions. Relying on research, machines, and dictionaries alone to guide me on an attempted translation of the first project proposed would have caused me to miss too many important details, I felt.

The second game I mentioned employs high-resolution kanji in the game story. It's put together in a way that reminds me a little of Silva Saga-II's format. I enjoyed pretty good results translating two-thirds of SS-II a few years back. Then, it got tougher, and along came Shiva Indus to rescue me on that whole SS-II project that turned out very well. When I get a chance to work on the first town in the second game, after a few days I'll know if it's something I can make significant progress doing without a primary translator from the get-go. In the second game, I also have an excellent English walkthrough to help guide me through the various chapters.

So, as soon as Bongo` gives the word, we'll announce the first new project and set up the usual support mechanisms here. I want to thank Bongo` for finally taking a hard look at these two games. For about 10-15 years I've been interested in doing both of them. My part will keep me occupied in this hobby for some time to come.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:06 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
So, as soon as Bongo` gives the word, we'll announce the first new project and set up the usual support mechanisms here. I want to thank Bongo` for finally taking a hard look at these two games. For about 10-15 years I've been interested in doing both of them. My part will keep me occupied in this hobby for some time to come.

Glad to see that after all these years you are still that motivated, Wildbill. I am really looking forward to the announcement of the new projects.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:37 am 
Site Admin

Pete wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Glad to see that after all these years you are still that motivated, Wildbill. I am really looking forward to the announcement of the new projects.
I'm a military man who believes the best defense is a good offense. Behind-the-scenes statements by my enemies have motivated me to produce more work to feed their psychoses until they choke on it.

But my civilian, easy-going side that I once possessed still defines my behavior among good and decent fun-loving folks who are well-adjusted emotionally. Hey, I do what I enjoy, fishing, designing and building houses, coaching sports, and story writing.

Bongo` passed the word yesterday that we can announce two new projects at any time. I will take great pleasure in doing so, as soon as he delivers a rudimentary insertion program for the second game to me, so I may do a few test translations and pull some screenshots together to accompany the disclosure.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:51 am 

So, it's Odysselya I and II. This is great. Two games that I've always wanted to play in English. Good luck with these new projects!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:44 am 

Pete wrote:
So, it's Odysselya I and II. This is great. Two games that I've always wanted to play in English. Good luck with these new projects!

Odysselya I and II!!! I've always been curious about these two as well, they both look really interesting.

The first one was that one who was officially translated but then never got released, right? Speaking about its graphics, It reminds me of a crossover between Phantasy Star III and 7th Saga.

I tried that game a little last year and discover a few things that perhaps you already know, but just in case... First, I leveled up the character to 99, just to see what happens. Doing that glitched the game, resulting in it freezing every time I
Spoiler! :
tried to leave the city where you appear after defeating the first boss in the game (some kind of giant snake). It's that city in which you sleep at the inn and next morning you have a robed man following you.
Second, the party walks really slow, but you can change the walking speed with the L button.
Oh, and a third thing I almost forgot. There's an annoying nuance about the game dialogs, and it's that, sometimes, they don't wait for you to push the button to show the next chunk of dialog, but rather pass on their own after a certain amount of time. This could be annoying when trying to read. But perhaps with the text in English it can be read fast enough and won't be a bother.

The sequel, on the other hand, gives me more a Glory of Herakles IV vibe, though. I only got to the first cave in this one.

Really looking forward to these two new projects ;)

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

I've just barely pecked into both games but already know enough to say I will enjoy doing these as much as Mystic Ark, Silva Saga-II and both SSMSs. Shiji, because it is based largely on real history, is in a category all by itself. Fantasy games, due to their greater latitudes for frivolity, put me in a whole different mindset (much less serious writing mode), but the Odysseas appear to contain some real history, too. Should be an interesting ride. I hope they mesh as well as the Arethas did.