Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: To whom it may concern...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Aretha 1's holdup right now is entirely on my shoulders. I had planned to have it finished and back to Wildbill for beta before now as I had family coming in for this week and next. However, my nephew is now doing online school to become a software engineer and I'm having to tutor him in Java which is taking a lot more time than I expected since Java is one language I didn't know to start with and his classes are accelerated classes. Of course, I do know several other languages so picking up Java has been fairly simple for the most part but it does make things take even longer when i have to learn it then tutor him. For some reason schools no longer teach introduction to programming, flow charting or anything that should be a prerequisite to actual programming languages which means I have to also tutor him on things general to all programming languages as well. At any rate, we were hoping for a Memorial day release, unfortunately we will definitely miss that date as I will be busy until May 4th with family. Then I will continue my work. His Java class will be ending the next week as well, so I should have more time then. I'm fairly confident I can have it back to Wildbill before June and then he can move it into beta when he deems it ready to move to beta.

As for the order of games Wildbill, feel free to release them in whatever order you prefer. If those graphics happen to be uncompressed so Bongo` doesn't have to decompress them, I could get them knocked out real quick, but I'm sure that Bongo` will have to deal with SSMS-2 before I can do them. As for Shiji, I'll check if they are uncompressed as I haven't looked yet but I will see if I can find time to find them if uncompressed and knock them out this week or next. I definitely need to make sure another snafu like Ranma doesn't happen again in the process :)

Once I have Aretha 1 and 2 (if Wildbill needs the help on it) knocked out, I will continue work on Power of the Hired and then Oni II will finally get under way. I can pretty confidently say I doubt Oni II is a 2018 release, sorry we just have too much other stuff in the pipe ahead of it. I'd love to say we could possibly finish it by Christmas but I just don't see that being realistic guys. I won't say 100% guaranteed for 2019 either but it is way more likely than 2018 or 2020 and/or beyond.

BTW: Even though Power of the Hired is a strategy RPG, seems to be a pretty fun game with an interesting story so far. Wish I could turn out a preview video but we have to deal with a bug in the intro text routine first and Bongo` is far too overloaded with projects closer to release to deal with that one right now. So, I'll provide one as soon as I can but it may be a while yet.
So, now that you've become a Javascript guru, any chance you will Java-ize our D-D site? Wouldn't that allow nifty little click-on insets of video trailers for our work, sort of like you see at Foxnews.com, etc.?

Graphics for Shiji are mainly those blasted block-stacking games, but I'm working the dice-throwing gambling dive now, in Luoyang, and that one has a jumbled mess of a tote board that will be impressive once we "unscrew-it-up". Then, we have those "Hanji" tiles in the mountain redoubts where special magic items are fiercely guarded with puzzles, traps, and the dreaded Wolf Bros. - and the lamian noodle shop signs in Handan, Zhou Kingdom - that seem to translate to "Pig Noodles". We may leave some Chinese Hanji in places, in order to give the game more "flavor", but the noodles are already adequately "tasty". I'll need Hausen's opinion on everything graphic. And some of what needs fixing may be sprites instead of tiles. That's some of the Chinese we may, uh, "decide" *Cough!* to keep!

In SSMS-II, Gerb suggested the villain Jodan's name be changed to "Jocque", which is a perfect French double entendre, since that clown (literally, a clown) spews a non-stop English-French-Japanese patois when aroused, which is all the time! Jocque is the "Hillary/bad penny" in SSMS-II, the guy you love to hate who never goes away and always shows up. Jocque is not really evil, just greedy, mainly, and he drives the group bonkers throwing monkey wrenches into virtually everything! SSMS-II is one wild and constantly scattered ride of almost continuous setbacks - start to finish - a game in which you almost cry when it's over because you don't want it to end - yep, one of those! Haters of linear RPGs will love SSMS-II.

Anyway, several instances of "Jodan" are emblazoned on some rather large game features, and these will need to be converted to "Jocque". And the four ending Kanji at the very end, following credits, need to be converted to "Fin!" or "Fini", whatever Bongo` prefers. He's already decompressed the ending Kana but hasn't yet converted the symbols.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:47 pm 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
Oh, so SSMS-II is that far along, eh? I really liked SSMS-I, it was a cute game with some serious themes at times... but definitely a cool experience that really took me back to the golden era of SNES RPGs! I'd offer a hand with it too, since the projects I'll be editing and testing are currently in the production phase anyway, and I'm free to play something else for the next month or so, but... 'tis up to you, naturally. :) I'm guessing that this game will need quite a lot of work anyway, with how much meat on the bones there is.
So, if I throw SSMS-II V0.99 beta in your lap, you're ready to start pumping out Mantis reports forthwith?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:58 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Presently, I'm almost halfway through my second complete pass in Shiji. In a week or two, Shiji will be "caught up" with SSMS-II and almost with both Arethas for levels of refinement.

Wildbill, should I wait for you to finish that second pass, or post some more things on mantis I've noted down this past week? I'd be very likely commenting on things you've already noticed and corrected during your new playthrough now. In case you might have a new revised version up to point X further in the story I could give some input on it, but let me know what you prefer.

About the graphics, in short - the town signs are the only thing should be preserved in seal script, not only because one of the quiz questions directly refers them written as in seal script, but also for an easy spice of period-accurate flavor. Other graphics may be changed if needed, but I'll think of it some more and write about 'em later.

I couldn't help it anymore and started playing GOD a few days ago. It just oozes fun, quality work and presentation just like Arethas, Shiji and SSMS-2 will as is becoming very evident!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Presently, I'm almost halfway through my second complete pass in Shiji. In a week or two, Shiji will be "caught up" with SSMS-II and almost with both Arethas for levels of refinement.

Wildbill, should I wait for you to finish that second pass, or post some more things on mantis I've noted down this past week? I'd be very likely commenting on things you've already noticed and corrected during your new playthrough now. In case you might have a new revised version up to point X further in the story I could give some input on it, but let me know what you prefer.

About the graphics, in short - the town signs are the only thing should be preserved in seal script, not only because one of the quiz questions directly refers them written as in seal script, but also for an easy spice of period-accurate flavor. Other graphics may be changed if needed, but I'll think of it some more and write about 'em later.

I couldn't help it anymore and started playing GOD a few days ago. It just oozes fun, quality work and presentation just like Arethas, Shiji and SSMS-2 will as is becoming very evident!
First thing I should do is give you my current ROM. You can play from the start to where you arrive back in Handan, accompanying Lord Pingyuan from Shouchun after regaining the Ancient Script from the bandit cave on the lake peninsula in Chu.

Now, I'm ready to deal with the Jade Disk, visit Luoyang again and recruit Zhang, and negotiate the Hangu Pass, Mt. Huashan, Xiangyang, go north to find Sage Mozi, and do everything that follows. All I just mentioned in this second paragraph will be rewritten. I have worlds of bytes left in Blocks 2 (8,000) and 3 (17,000). Even in Block 1 (5,276) and Block 4 (5,713) we have wiggle room. And guess what... I found the entry point for the four super-dragons!

Spoiler! :
It's in the far northwest. You can walk there from Ji. I fudged "Dragon Travel" in the Luoyang dice game, and it transported me right inside the Dragon Cave! When I reversed direction and walked outside, I immediately knew right where I was because I searched almost that entire area previously and flat missed it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:31 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
So, if I throw SSMS-II V0.99 beta in your lap, you're ready to start pumping out Mantis reports forthwith?

Indeed, I could start as early as t'night, seeing that I'm not really tied up otherwise with regards to any testing nor editing! So, I reckon the more eyes on it, the better (plus it looks really brill) - especially since it's V0.99. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:48 pm 

MariusB wrote:
Wildbill wrote:

Indeed, I could start as early as t'night, seeing that I'm not really tied up otherwise with regards to any testing nor editing! So, I reckon the more eyes on it, the better (plus it looks really brill) - especially since it's V0.99. 8-)

Hello, again! I'm also available to beta-test SSMS-II if you're in need of more eyes willing to hunt for any bug / typo. I've no problem postponing Last Bible III for now, as I'm not very far into it yet and it will always be there to come back to it when SSMS-II is tested enough.

So, Wildbill, if it's ok with you and the rest of the translation team, I can also start right this very moment if it were necessary ;)

I'll have my Japanese language finals by the end of May / early June so I'll be busier then, but for now I don't have many things over the table so to speak.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:39 pm 
Site Admin

Concerning SSMS-II, I'm switching discussions regarding early testing over to the SSMS-II board.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:40 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Romhacking.net without a doubt contains a very good collection of patches from across the web. Unfortunately, that's where my praise of the website ends... It's full of random jerk liberals who prefer to curse and argue rather than thanking us for our hard work and the free translations that we provide. You can tell it's bad when the whole general discussion board was removed from RHDN. The staff there is also very biased and unfair. They ignore all the insults of liberals while targeting conservatives like myself for posting their opinions. Or rather, I should say that they're against facts and truth in general.

filler wrote:
I'd appreciate it if political labels were reserved for discussions of politics and political issues, not people who do or do not agree with you on a romhacking board. I highly doubt you're referring to those who disagree with you about societal/govt policies, and if you were, I'd question why you were bringing that up on RHDN.

That said, I'd caution casting too harsh a judgement on folks whose shoes you haven't walked in. I think the staff at RHDN are in a difficult position of having to try to cater to an broad audience of translation hackers, and creative/improvement hackers from around the globe, and an audience that seems less than positive most of the time. I'm fairly impressed it's still going and functioning as well as it is.

Personally I've observed some troubling things about the site and the staff there however. For instance, I was given false, misleading information about policies from someone who seemingly had not been on the site that long, yet was a moderator a number of years ago. I also heard from MrRichard999 that they were banned from the message board, despite the fact that they have been one of the most prolific translation hackers in recent years. I have NO idea what the specifics around that decision/situation were, so I won't make assumptions about the appropriateness of the decision, but suffice to say it FEELS extreme to me. I've noticed some other seemingly heavy handed behavior, and even confronted some staff about it, but as I'm not privy to the details, there's no way to really weigh in on the decisions made.

I'm reluctant to be too hard on RHDN. It's still a great resource, and even still a decent place to network with folks doing this hobby. As nice as individual group sites are, the lack of a centralized community site would be a tremendous blow to the hobby and community. Personally I don't think Nightcrawler's heart is really in it at this point, but it's hard to argue that he and the moderators there haven't maintained a functioning community resource there for over a decade, one that's even grown with the times, and accepted community feedback, despite some probably deserved criticisms. In the same way we're free to write our scripts the way we want to, they're free to run their site the way they want to. The door needs to swing both ways.

Don't get the wrong idea, I never once went off topic there with politics. It was a topic about Donald Trump which existed in the now gone general discussion board. And no, I wasn't the one who began the thread. I believe it was a user named Disch, but that's irrelevant to the story. The point was that some liberal members there were cursing left and right as well as dropping the occasional death threat towards conservative ones. When I pointed this out, I'm the one that got a wag of the finger by a very biased moderator that obviously wasn't doing their job properly. RHDN is a great site with a vast collection of patches, but the staff there is far from the best. Especially in terms of moderation. For example, they banned byuu for no reason at all. Sure, I didn't always agree with his opinions, but I wouldn't ban him over it. I'm certainly that you can't possibly agree with such a decision either. And there have been many other similar cases as well.
Recca wrote:
I was going to submit the Star Ocean: Blue Sphere French translation, but decided not to anymore after seeing the long list that needs to be completed for submissions. And strangely enough, you can only add the credits via editing after the original submission gets approved.

filler wrote:
You're fully entitled to your opinion and to act in whatever way you see fit, but I've never had trouble submitting a patch, nor waiting to add credits until after the patch is accepted. Is it convenient? Not really. Is it usable? Of course. I don't understand folks willing to part the seas to make a hack/translation, who then can't be bothered to follow some guidelines for a submission form.

I have no trouble submitting patches from D-D to RHDN, but I can't do it with from other sites. The reason? Simple, if you right click on a patch here at D-D, it will have a .zip extension. Meanwhile, other sites do not, which RHDN's bot does not accept for some reason, even though the link works perfectly fine. You're welcome to try and submit the French patch of Star Ocean: Blue Sphere yourself at RHDN if you like:
https://traf.romhack.org/?p=patchs&pid=110

I feel like I completely wasted my time there as I had completed the entire submission form, yet it didn't except the download link (since it didn't end in a .zip extension). Here's what I mean:
https://traf.romhack.org/get.php?dt=2&ob=110

The link works fine to directly download the patch, yet RHDN refuses to accept it. I've given up trying to submit patches there from anywhere but D-D since this site seems to be the only one that actually displays the .zip extension. Good thing too, as I was at least able to submit my three current Romanian patches there. That's good enough for me at least, but it still needs to improve...

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Don't get the wrong idea, I never once went off topic there with politics. It was a topic about Donald Trump which existed in the now gone general discussion board. And no, I wasn't the one who began the thread. I believe it was a user named Disch, but that's irrelevant to the story. The point was that some liberal members there were cursing left and right as well as dropping the occasional death threat towards conservative ones. When I pointed this out, I'm the one that got a wag of the finger by a very biased moderator that obviously wasn't doing their job properly.

Probably a good reason why they shut down the general discussion board (for non-patrons at any rate.)

Recca wrote:
RHDN is a great site with a vast collection of patches, but the staff there is far from the best. Especially in terms of moderation. For example, they banned Byuu for no reason at all. Sure, I didn't always agree with his opinions, but I wouldn't ban him over it. I'm certain that you can't possibly agree with such a decision either. And there have been many other similar cases as well.

Agreed. That's what I mean. A lot of folks in the scene can be opinionated, even abrasive, but I can't imagine that Byuu really deserves a ban. It seems like there's been some abuses of power over there which is a shame. Again though, it's speculation on my part.

Recca wrote:
I have no trouble submitting patches from D-D to RHDN, but I can't do it with from other sites. The reason? Simple, if you right click on a patch here at D-D, it will have a .zip extension. Meanwhile, other sites do not, which RHDN's bot does not accept for some reason, even though the link works perfectly fine. You're welcome to try and submit the French patch of Star Ocean: Blue Sphere yourself at RHDN if you like:
https://traf.romhack.org/?p=patchs&pid=110

I'm happy to submit that patch. It seems like your trouble stems from not having web-space to upload a file to provide a direct link to it.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:39 pm 

Don't let a few nay sayers with nothing better to do get you down. They want you to stop, they want your work to reach fewer and fewer people and if you give in, they win. What do you have to gain by stopping, not posting translations or doing anything less than what you have been doing up until now?

Show your work with pride because there are a lot of people, a lot more than the negative ones, that appreciate your work and an even larger silent majority who just download and enjoy, or at the least, play.

It seems some of these people giving you a hard time have nothing else going on in their life and are so sad that they attack someone doing something as a hobby. I mean, can you imagine being that pathetic? That you go after someone simply doing something for pleasure, a labor of love? Clearly they need to find a hobby, a significant other or just something to occupy their time because clearly they have too much free time. I am too busy and involved in positive things to bother someone just doing something for fun.

Or, better yet, they can translate and hack and insert, etc. and do their own translation, put your money where your mouth is so to speak but if they can't do that, it further invalidates any negative criticism (that is not constructive) that they might write. Then, when some other ahole ingrate complains about their work they will hopefully get how it feels. But probably too much of a coward to actually do their own translation.

Keep doing what you do!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next