Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: To whom it may concern...
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:47 pm 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
wildbill wrote:
Guarantee, akualung, you will be at least the third player to receive a patch of SSMS-II in the (e)mail. Gee, I'd like nothing better than to give this patch ONLY to folks I know will play it and enjoy it.

It's sort of like the fish I catch over the year and donate to local retirement and nursing centers, so they may enjoy an annual fish fry. Why would I try to give some fish to someone who says, "I HATE your stinkin' fish!"? The finished SSMS-II English V1.00 patch may end up available to the whole world anyway. It's up to the whole gang to decide.

I'm really, REALLY grateful, Wildbill :) When I first read that maybe the patch wasn't going to be released to the public I was deeply concerned, because SSMSII is the number one in my list of jrpgs I'd like to play someday. I tried to play the first half an hour of that game in Japanese, but I had a tough time, hehehe. Not having furigana and some kanji being really difficult to read due to snes screen resolution, it must be hard even for native Japanese to read it.

I can't even begin to fathom how hard and complicated must have been to translate such a game. This makes me appreciate even more all the effort put into these translations.
Yes sir, you're welcome, and...

I'm making a list and reading it twice,
To see who's been naughty,
And who's been nice,
Santa-Bill is comin' to town!

...with some SSMS-II patches for the Christmas 2018 stockings (if everything goes well) of those who will enjoy it - at least!

Spoiler! :
SSMS-II is an absolute riot! Urnie is back, plus those stumblin', bumblin' lads, Poyon, Babu, and Kupikupi! So is Elder Hermit Crab and Great Gnome. You'll fall in love with the new hero cast, too - especially Princess Rumiella!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:47 pm 

:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:38 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Gee, I'd like nothing better than to give this patch ONLY to folks I know will play it and enjoy it.

It's sort of like the fish I catch over the year and donate to local retirement and nursing centers, so they may enjoy an annual fish fry. Why would I try to give some fish to someone who says, "I HATE your stinkin' fish!"? The finished SSMS-II English V1.00 patch may end up available to the whole world anyway. It's up to the whole gang to decide.

In the end that's the team's decision to make, but I sincerely hope you won't decide to go that route, since in a sense you would be punishing the silent majority of players who play and enjoy your patches, even if they don't post about it, for something a vocal minority (who will never play the patch anyway) said. Looking at the download stats, thousands of people download each patch over the years. I think it's impractical to think many of them would contact you in order to get a specific patch. Lastly, even such measures don't stop naysayers from denigrating your work if they wish to do so. In the end haters are gonna hate, so the best you can hope to do is not let them get under your skin and just keep on doing your best. That's my take on this anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

mziab wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
Gee, I'd like nothing better than to give this patch ONLY to folks I know will play it and enjoy it.

In the end that's the team's decision to make, but I sincerely hope you won't decide to go that route, since in a sense you would be punishing the silent majority of players who play and enjoy your patches, even if they don't post about it, for something a vocal minority (who will never play the patch anyway) said. Looking at the download stats, thousands of people download each patch over the years. I think it's impractical to think many of them would contact you in order to get a specific patch. Lastly, even such measures don't stop naysayers from denigrating your work if they wish to do so. In the end haters are gonna hate, so the best you can hope to do is not let them get under your skin and just keep on doing your best. That's my take on this anyway.
Very reasonable position, mziab. I'm listening to everyone's input closely. Thanks!

Does anyone following this thread, see any possible reduction in eventual worldwide distribution if we release only through our own website's download section? Would not other entities with their own regular audiences possibly pick up on our release and publish links at their sites? Sooner or later, pre-patched ROMS would appear anyway, not to mention game cart pirates flashing blank EEPROM chips and even printing English lables on their illegal products.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:16 pm 

Hey Bill, been a while.

The romhacking and fan translation has always been populated with "special" (nicest way I can describe them) people. It was only a matter of time before some of them decided to come after you. Quite frankly, you're kinda low hanging fruit in that you're an old republican/conservative. Easy target if there ever was one.

Romhackingdotnet is a community driven site where people from all over the come to play free stuff. It's a great platform and centralized location for all thing romhacking and fan translation. If you remove that site from the equation, there's gonna be some people who will never find this site and thus miss out on your work.

You know I just thought of good joke to play on everyone and gets those people riled up for no reason. You could post a screenshot from SSMS 2 with a political rant inserted for no reason and if/when you decide to release the translation, don't keep it in the game. That would be hilarious.

Anyhow, keep on keeping I say.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
Hey Bill, been a while.

The romhacking and fan translation has always been populated with "special" (nicest way I can describe them) people. It was only a matter of time before some of them decided to come after you. Quite frankly, you're kinda low hanging fruit in that you're an old republican/conservative. Easy target if there ever was one.

Romhackingdotnet is a community driven site where people from all over the come to play free stuff. It's a great platform and centralized location for all thing romhacking and fan translation. If you remove that site from the equation, there's gonna be some people who will never find this site and thus miss out on your work.

You know I just thought of good joke to play on everyone and gets those people riled up for no reason. You could post a screenshot from SSMS 2 with a political rant inserted for no reason and if/when you decide to release the translation, don't keep it in the game. That would be hilarious.

Anyhow, keep on keeping I say.
Hey, old friend... Been a while. Actually, I'm more self-defined as just old-school conservative. I say this because I perform significant community services and food donations to a demographic largely dumped and forgotten. Moreover, I do this without remuneration or tax breaks. I wasn't always so staunchly conservative, but you know what people say... "If you aren't liberal when you're young, you don't have a heart. If you're not conservative when you're old, you don't have a brain!"

Major haw, haw on the suggested sham postings! So, if I really did this thing, you wouldn't "out me" by letting it slip I was staking out low-hanging troll bait, would-ja!? Anyway, good to know you're still kickin'! Hope your projects are going well.

Also, as "they" say, "See ya in the "funny papers," Garrett, and I'll leave you with five words:

"DoaE-GB Hacking this game!" Oops, that's nine words figured one way. Looks like I forgot how to count in my advancing years!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 pm 

I agree with Garrett and mziab. There have been rather strange individuals present on the scene since times immemorial - vide, people making a fuss about even minute changes in various translation/retranslation efforts. What is probably the most bothersome is that, instead of offering feedback, they resort to name-calling. And besides, most of them won't even try the game in question anyway.

As to the pirated versions and availability, considering that this is SNES we're talking about, repro carts are almost inevitability. You will naturally find a substantial number of those around the dark corners of the internet, based on patches released by pretty much every major translation group. The same will happen regardless of what you choose to do with the patch. With that being said, I think that limiting the distribution will likely hurt the game in the long run. Even if you assume about 10% are dissatisfied with the script for some reason (which I highly doubt would be the case), 90% will enjoy it regardless, and spread the word quicker. I remember seeing a longplay of SSMS I in English somewhere on Youtube, with the let's player enjoying it immensely. To my mind, that is a good measuring stick, so to speak.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:44 am 

Ha, I haven't touched that in like 3 years. Still in the process of hacking menus, an art in and of itself. I've been on a project finishing tour for the past few years. I'll get to it eventually.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:35 pm 

I think there is NO way to stop SSMS-II eventually getting released anywhere on the internet other than here at Dynamic-Designs, surely someone would post it somewhere.
I for one would certainly link this game on MY website to D-D's rom page for the game. I agree with other people above that only making it exclusive to download here at this
site would probably harm the game's popularity rather than make it more known to a wider audience because a lot of people don't probably know about your website here.

I HAVE noticed with the repro-carts they tend to remove translator/hackers splash pages from their cart releases so whoever is reproducing these carts definitely has hacking
skills to remove these, so what i'm saying is your game will also eventually no doubt end up on a repro-cart immaterial of how your going to try and stop this happening. It's
just a damn shame that these repro-cart people just don't make some deal with the people writing the patches and offer a royalty or % of any takings the patches make to
you groups who work hard at them for each cart/game sold using your translation.

Oh well, so to sum it up.. I think it would be a big mistake to hold back the patch just to this site because it will eventually get put on other sites and repro-carts, and as one
of the posters above says.. what about the silent players who also enjoy your work? you can't punish the faithful following just because of the actions of the minor few idiotic
troll @ssholes.. OH! i'll stop here.. starting to get angry at them again.. >.<

Whatever you guys eventually decide no doubt it will be for good reasons and i'll stand by it along with D-D.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

SylarDean wrote:
I HAVE noticed with the repro-carts they tend to remove translator/hackers splash pages from their cart releases so whoever is reproducing these carts definitely has hacking
skills to remove these, so what i'm saying is your game will also eventually no doubt end up on a repro-cart immaterial of how your going to try and stop this happening. It's
just a damn shame that these repro-cart people just don't make some deal with the people writing the patches and offer a royalty or % of any takings the patches make to
you groups who work hard at them for each cart/game sold using your translation.
This would still be illegal. While there may be a case for the translation patch itself being copyrighted by the creators, the original work is not, and the patch is furthermore a derivative work. The only way for your scenario to be legal is for copyright law to be changed. While hacking games is not strictly legal to start with, the scene traditionally has worked hard to separate fan work from original work, and avoid any kind of money exchange. As soon as money enters the picture, reasons for suing beyond regular defending of copyright/tradmark come in to play. Basically, it ups the ante. I for one am in no way interested in some a**hole combining our work with the original copyrighted code/assets, and selling that for money, even if, or ESPECIALLY if I got a cut of it. That would make me fully complicit in their crime. I don't care if people make their own repros or whatever, but I'd like the ability to determine for myself if and how I break the law.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next