Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post subject: Re: To whom it may concern...
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:09 pm 

This is kind of an old post, but I think your attitude is pretty common. Many years ago I did translations for a manga scanlation group. Outside of the people in the group and a few people who frequented the IRC and forums, the vast majority of our interaction with the "fans" was negative. The small number of people who thanked us or came to discuss the series we translated were drowned out by complaints about speed, arrogant requests to do new series, complaints about the series we were doing, complaints about series we had dropped, and such.

I certainly felt that I was primarily doing my translations for the other people in the group, and didn't really care if anyone outside those people read them.

So I can understand your feelings, but as long as you're having fun keep doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
This is kind of an old post, but I think your attitude is pretty common. Many years ago I did translations for a manga scanlation group. Outside of the people in the group and a few people who frequented the IRC and forums, the vast majority of our interaction with the "fans" was negative. The small number of people who thanked us or came to discuss the series we translated were drowned out by complaints about speed, arrogant requests to do new series, complaints about the series we were doing, complaints about series we had dropped, and such.

I certainly felt that I was primarily doing my translations for the other people in the group, and didn't really care if anyone outside those people read them.

So I can understand your feelings, but as long as you're having fun keep doing it.
It's the same as with my fellow fishermen, boaters, social activities in the neighborhood, and town - even extended family. You surround yourself with compatible, fun folks who bring joy to your life while trying to avoid all who don't. The older I become, the more I realize I don't have time for avoidable conflicts any more. For some of us here at D-D, the projects have even become therapy. I'm one of 'em! I just wish I had strong linguistic aptitudes for East Asian languages so I could zip through translating Shiji and other projects myself. That's the only hobby frustration I have at the moment.

As for friends, players, fans, however various people choose to define themselves here, we have the best!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:43 pm 

Hey, for what it's worth I just wanted to provide my two cents.

I think everyone at DD does fantastic work. I recently completed SSMS for the 1st time and I loved it. The localization was amazing. I consider myself to be conservative so I found many of the lines in the game to be absolutely hilarious. I literally laughed out loud numerous times and that's something that endears a game experience to me. I have to own the game, now, so I recently purchased a boxed SFC copy for the collection so I can play it on my Retron5.

I know this is a hobby to you and that's awesome. You've got me inspired and I'm trying to learn to read and speak Japanese so maybe one day I can at least play untranslated games with some idea as to what is going on. But until then, I want to thank you all for all the hard work and passion you put into your hobby; it really shows. While it may never have been meant to be a public service, just know there are very many people like myself who fully appreciate you sharing not only your fine work with us, but exposing us to some great games we would never have been able to enjoy otherwise. The experiences your collective works bring to all of us are invaluable. I sincerely hope that you'll continue to share your talents and hobbies with us. Haters be damned.

Thank you all for everything. Keep up the great work!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Romhacking.net without a doubt contains a very good collection of patches from across the web. Unfortunately, that's where my praise of the website ends... It's full of random jerk liberals who prefer to curse and argue rather than thanking us for our hard work and the free translations that we provide. You can tell it's bad when the whole general discussion board was removed from RHDN. The staff there is also very biased and unfair. They ignore all the insults of liberals while targeting conservatives like myself for posting their opinions. Or rather, I should say that they're against facts and truth in general. Even I've had some posts removed before along with a stupid warning from some moderator who was beyond full of himself. I'm really getting tired of that damn website. Submitting files there is also a nightmare thanks to the new ridiculous system they've implemented. I was going to submit the Star Ocean: Blue Sphere French translation, but decided not to anymore after seeing the long list that needs to be completed for submissions. And strangely enough, you can only add the credits via editing after the original submission gets approved.

Anyways, I think that I'm getting a bit off topic here. My point is that no matter how hard a person tries, they will eventually run into some jerk who ruins the fun of what they're doing. The important thing to remember here is that most people do in fact appreciate our efforts to translate great classic games and support us. And that's what truly matters in the end. After all, we're doing this for the fans of our work, not the random talentless, loser morons that go around trolling on websites. As for SSMS-II, it's up to you whether it's officially released or not. I support your decision either way, but I do think that it may be a bit unfair for the true fans of the series to miss out on the opportunity to play it in English because of a few critics who probably aren't even going to play from start to finish. I suppose they can in fact ask you nicely for the patch via private message, but some won't know about that and may still miss out. The game has definitely been improved graphically from the first one, as with Lennus-II and Paladin's Quest. I haven't really taken that good a look at it, but from first glance, it does certainly look like a RPG that I would play. Here's an idea if you're interested. We could have a sort of last beta test/review of the game before you decide for certain if you'll release the translation or not. That way, you can be certain that the script is flawless and perfect before release, if you decide to that is. If not, the script will still be perfect and flawless for those few lucky individuals who get the chance to play this game.

And as an additional site note: I'm going nuts waiting for AGTP to release its Rejoice, Star Ocean: Blue Sphere and Super Robot Wars (SNES) translations. I know that patience is a virtue, but it's been over ten years in some cases and I'm not joking. Oh well, nothing to do but wait I suppose. The Great Battle translations are nice, but RPGs are usually where it's at when it comes to fan translations. I mean, compare a game that takes an hour or two to finish, versus one that may take over a week. There's a lot more gameplay in one of those, but also a lot more script as well. I've always found old school RPGs unique in this way, especially JRPGs. It's like playing an interesting novel (back when they actually used to be good like Alfred Elton van Vogt's sci-fi novels).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A._E._van_Vogt

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:22 pm 

Recca wrote:
Romhacking.net without a doubt contains a very good collection of patches from across the web. Unfortunately, that's where my praise of the website ends... It's full of random jerk liberals who prefer to curse and argue rather than thanking us for our hard work and the free translations that we provide. You can tell it's bad when the whole general discussion board was removed from RHDN. The staff there is also very biased and unfair. They ignore all the insults of liberals while targeting conservatives like myself for posting their opinions. Or rather, I should say that they're against facts and truth in general. Even I've had some posts removed before along with a stupid warning from some moderator who was beyond full of himself. I'm really getting tired of that damn website. Submitting files there is also a nightmare thanks to the new ridiculous system they've implemented. I was going to submit the Star Ocean: Blue Sphere French translation, but decided not to anymore after seeing the long list that needs to be completed for submissions. And strangely enough, you can only add the credits via editing after the original submission gets approved.

Anyways, I think that I'm getting a bit off topic here. My point is that no matter how hard a person tries, they will eventually run into some jerk who ruins the fun of what they're doing. The important thing to remember here is that most people do in fact appreciate our efforts to translate great classic games and support us. And that's what truly matters in the end. After all, we're doing this for the fans of our work, not the random talentless, loser morons that go around trolling on websites. As for SSMS-II, it's up to you whether it's officially released or not. I support your decision either way, but I do think that it may be a bit unfair for the true fans of the series to miss out on the opportunity to play it in English because of a few critics who probably aren't even going to play from start to finish. I suppose they can in fact ask you nicely for the patch via private message, but some won't know about that and may still miss out. The game has definitely been improved graphically from the first one, as with Lennus-II and Paladin's Quest. I haven't really taken that good a look at it, but from first glance, it does certainly look like a RPG that I would play. Here's an idea if you're interested. We could have a sort of last beta test/review of the game before you decide for certain if you'll release the translation or not. That way, you can be certain that the script is flawless and perfect before release, if you decide to that is. If not, the script will still be perfect and flawless for those few lucky individuals who get the chance to play this game.

And as an additional site note: I'm going nuts waiting for AGTP to release its Rejoice, Star Ocean: Blue Sphere and Super Robot Wars (SNES) translations. I know that patience is a virtue, but it's been over ten years in some cases and I'm not joking. Oh well, nothing to do but wait I suppose. The Great Battle translations are nice, but RPGs are usually where it's at when it comes to fan translations. I mean, compare a game that takes an hour or two to finish, versus one that may take over a week. There's a lot more gameplay in one of those, but also a lot more script as well. I've always found old school RPGs unique in this way, especially JRPGs. It's like playing an interesting novel (back when they actually used to be good like Alfred Elton van Vogt's sci-fi novels).

Hehehe, you cannot begin to fathom how much I relate to what you have said, Recca. Every Monday and Thursday I check out AGTP website to see if they've posted any info on the Madara 2 translation. It's a game I've wanted to play in English since I read about it, perhaps more than 15 years ago (and Madara for the nes has, in my opinion, one of the best rpg stories in that system).

I'm really sorry for this offtopic, but I have to say that this year is turning out to be fantastic regarding snes rpgs. I've enjoyed G.O.D greatly, and I'm currently having a terrific time with Last Bible III as well. The translation project I'm looking forward the most right now is precisely SSMS-II. I'm not exaggerating if I say that that game's release (whether it's released to the general public or not) makes me feel like a little kid waiting for a Christmas present. From time to time, when I can't stand the anticipation anymore, I watch some random parts of the Japanese SSMS-II let's plays that are on Youtube, carefully so as not to spoil myself very much. That game has several things that make him stand out among other snes titles. For example, near the end of the game, if I've understood correctly what I've seen
Spoiler! :
you can split your party members into several groups, in a way similar to what you do in Kefka's Tower in Final Fantasy VI.
And several other neat features, like building your own town (vastly improved from SSMS-I) or the realtime-based events similar to Tengai Makyou Zero.

I'd like to end saying that, to me, jrpgs are very important things in my life. Perhaps one day I'll post about it, albeit I suppose you can imagine which way the wind is blowing: the typical school bullying and trying to "mentally" escape of all that crap via videogames (snes rpgs, in particular).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:09 am 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
Recca wrote:

Hehehe, you cannot begin to fathom how much I relate to what you have said, Recca. Every Monday and Thursday I check out AGTP website to see if they've posted any info on the Madara 2 translation. It's a game I've wanted to play in English since I read about it, perhaps more than 15 years ago (and Madara for the nes has, in my opinion, one of the best rpg stories in that system).

I'm really sorry for this offtopic, but I have to say that this year is turning out to be fantastic regarding snes rpgs. I've enjoyed G.O.D greatly, and I'm currently having a terrific time with Last Bible III as well. The translation project I'm looking forward the most right now is precisely SSMS-II. I'm not exaggerating if I say that that game's release (whether it's released to the general public or not) makes me feel like a little kid waiting for a Christmas present. From time to time, when I can't stand the anticipation anymore, I watch some random parts of the Japanese SSMS-II let's plays that are on Youtube, carefully so as not to spoil myself very much. That game has several things that make him stand out among other snes titles. For example, near the end of the game, if I've understood correctly what I've seen
Spoiler! :
you can split your party members into several groups, in a way similar to what you do in Kefka's Tower in Final Fantasy VI.
And several other neat features, like building your own town (vastly improved from SSMS-I) or the realtime-based events similar to Tengai Makyou Zero.

I'd like to end saying that, to me, jrpgs are very important things in my life. Perhaps one day I'll post about it, albeit I suppose you can imagine which way the wind is blowing: the typical school bullying and trying to "mentally" escape of all that crap via videogames (snes rpgs, in particular).
I know you're tied up with finished games, but I'm of a mind to let you and Recca do a quasi-in-house beta test of SSMS-II right now and point out all of the features I know I need to fix, as well as catch a lot of errata and items I haven't noticed in two complete passes. I would want you to "slam" me with Mantis reports because otherwise I'm on the verge of moving Shiji Hero Legend ahead of SSMS-II.

Of course, I would need to know what Bongo` and Taskforce think about such an idea first.

Presently, I'm almost halfway through my second complete pass in Shiji. In a week or two, Shiji will be "caught up" with SSMS-II and almost with both Arethas for levels of refinement. Thing is, I've got Hausen fine-tuning everything in Shiji and no one helping me with SSMS-II. The main things lacking in both Shiji and SSMS-II are graphics conversions, then they will be fully "caught up" with the Arethas.

Meanwhile, I'm halfway through my first pass in 3X3 Eyes, awaiting Bongo`'s fix on my level-up process for the two main characters.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:21 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
Romhacking.net without a doubt contains a very good collection of patches from across the web. Unfortunately, that's where my praise of the website ends... It's full of random jerk liberals who prefer to curse and argue rather than thanking us for our hard work and the free translations that we provide. You can tell it's bad when the whole general discussion board was removed from RHDN. The staff there is also very biased and unfair. They ignore all the insults of liberals while targeting conservatives like myself for posting their opinions. Or rather, I should say that they're against facts and truth in general.

I'd appreciate it if political labels were reserved for discussions of politics and political issues, not people who do or do not agree with you on a romhacking board. I highly doubt you're referring to those who disagree with you about societal/govt policies, and if you were, I'd question why you were bringing that up on RHDN.

That said, I'd caution casting too harsh a judgement on folks whose shoes you haven't walked in. I think the staff at RHDN are in a difficult position of having to try to cater to an broad audience of translation hackers, and creative/improvement hackers from around the globe, and an audience that seems less than positive most of the time. I'm fairly impressed it's still going and functioning as well as it is.

Personally I've observed some troubling things about the site and the staff there however. For instance, I was given false, misleading information about policies from someone who seemingly had not been on the site that long, yet was a moderator a number of years ago. I also heard from MrRichard999 that they were banned from the message board, despite the fact that they have been one of the most prolific translation hackers in recent years. I have NO idea what the specifics around that decision/situation were, so I won't make assumptions about the appropriateness of the decision, but suffice to say it FEELS extreme to me. I've noticed some other seemingly heavy handed behavior, and even confronted some staff about it, but as I'm not privy to the details, there's no way to really weigh in on the decisions made.

I'm reluctant to be too hard on RHDN. It's still a great resource, and even still a decent place to network with folks doing this hobby. As nice as individual group sites are, the lack of a centralized community site would be a tremendous blow to the hobby and community. Personally I don't think Nightcrawler's heart is really in it at this point, but it's hard to argue that he and the moderators there haven't maintained a functioning community resource there for over a decade, one that's even grown with the times, and accepted community feedback, despite some probably deserved criticisms. In the same way we're free to write our scripts the way we want to, they're free to run their site the way they want to. The door needs to swing both ways.

Recca wrote:
I was going to submit the Star Ocean: Blue Sphere French translation, but decided not to anymore after seeing the long list that needs to be completed for submissions. And strangely enough, you can only add the credits via editing after the original submission gets approved.

You're fully entitled to your opinion and to act in whatever way you see fit, but I've never had trouble submitting a patch, nor waiting to add credits until after the patch is accepted. Is it convenient? Not really. Is it usable? Of course. I don't understand folks willing to part the seas to make a hack/translation, who then can't be bothered to follow some guidelines for a submission form.

Wildbill wrote:
Presently, I'm almost halfway through my second complete pass in Shiji. In a week or two, Shiji will be "caught up" with SSMS-II and almost with both Arethas for levels of refinement. Thing is, I've got Hausen fine-tuning everything in Shiji and no one helping me with SSMS-II. The main things lacking in both Shiji and SSMS-II are graphics conversions, then they will be fully "caught up" with the Arethas.

Great to hear about your progress WB. I was just thinking it would be nice to see some project updates, and here they are! I'm really looking forward to the release of the Arethas. As always, I really appreciate your help with 3x3 Eyes, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Shiji and SSMS-II shape up.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:55 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm halfway through my first pass in 3X3 Eyes, awaiting Bongo`'s fix on my level-up process for the two main characters.

filler wrote:
Great to hear about your progress WB. I was just thinking it would be nice to see some project updates, and here they are! I'm really looking forward to the release of the Arethas. As always, I really appreciate your help with 3x3 Eyes, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Shiji and SSMS-II shape up.
Well, this kid pecks away at the workload daily! When I get 2-pass Shiji "in the can" I'll be banging down Bongo`'s door to get that 3X3 "level-up" thing squashed. It's my own danged fault. Bongo` said I used a "tainted" level cheat. Serves me right, I guess. Meanwhile, I could "clean up" Mexico City, but once I do that I'll catch the bug to get down and dirty in those Aztec pyramids and kick some pagan butt, and I don't want to bother Bongo` until he gets successfully past a certain evolution going down in early May!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:29 am 

Oh, so SSMS-II is that far along, eh? I really liked SSMS-I, it was a cute game with some serious themes at times... but definitely a cool experience that really took me back to the golden era of SNES RPGs! I'd offer a hand with it too, since the projects I'll be editing and testing are currently in the production phase anyway, and I'm free to play something else for the next month or so, but... 'tis up to you, naturally. :) I'm guessing that this game will need quite a lot of work anyway, with how much meat on the bones there is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:05 am 
Site Admin

Aretha 1's holdup right now is entirely on my shoulders. I had planned to have it finished and back to Wildbill for beta before now as I had family coming in for this week and next. However, my nephew is now doing online school to become a software engineer and I'm having to tutor him in Java which is taking a lot more time than I expected since Java is one language I didn't know to start with and his classes are accelerated classes. Of course, I do know several other languages so picking up Java has been fairly simple for the most part but it does make things take even longer when i have to learn it then tutor him. For some reason schools no longer teach introduction to programming, flow charting or anything that should be a prerequisite to actual programming languages which means I have to also tutor him on things general to all programming languages as well. At any rate, we were hoping for a Memorial day release, unfortunately we will definitely miss that date as I will be busy until May 4th with family. Then I will continue my work. His Java class will be ending the next week as well, so I should have more time then. I'm fairly confident I can have it back to Wildbill before June and then he can move it into beta when he deems it ready to move to beta.

As for the order of games Wildbill, feel free to release them in whatever order you prefer. If those graphics happen to be uncompressed so Bongo` doesn't have to decompress them, I could get them knocked out real quick, but I'm sure that Bongo` will have to deal with SSMS-2 before I can do them. As for Shiji, I'll check if they are uncompressed as I haven't looked yet but I will see if I can find time to find them if uncompressed and knock them out this week or next. I definitely need to make sure another snafu like Ranma doesn't happen again in the process :)

Once I have Aretha 1 and 2 (if Wildbill needs the help on it) knocked out, I will continue work on Power of the Hired and then Oni II will finally get under way. I can pretty confidently say I doubt Oni II is a 2018 release, sorry we just have too much other stuff in the pipe ahead of it. I'd love to say we could possibly finish it by Christmas but I just don't see that being realistic guys. I won't say 100% guaranteed for 2019 either but it is way more likely than 2018 or 2020 and/or beyond.

BTW: Even though Power of the Hired is a strategy RPG, seems to be a pretty fun game with an interesting story so far. Wish I could turn out a preview video but we have to deal with a bug in the intro text routine first and Bongo` is far too overloaded with projects closer to release to deal with that one right now. So, I'll provide one as soon as I can but it may be a while yet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next