Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: To whom it may concern...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:20 pm 
Site Admin

I do not localize Japanese RPGs into English as a service to the general public. I do it as a hobby only.

Occasionally, our group - along with many valued contributors - creates a patch that enables someone to play a Japanese video game in English. Invariably word trickles back that different gamers enjoyed the patch, and most thank us for sharing, sometimes more profusely than necessary. Being human, this feedback makes us glow. Once, until about five years ago, it even fueled and motivated me, but not any more. Today, my motivation is greater than ever because it originates inside me and is augmented by the urging and support of my teammates.

You see, I no longer have an ego invested in this hobby. Without concerns about public feedback or wasting my valuable time reading what was said on someone else's website, I can be true to myself, but I also write for my teammates, contributors, and friends. Yes, indeedy, I want to please them because they bust their tails coding, translating, converting graphics, proofreading, testing, and building resources such as walks-through. Without the group effort that brings the whole project home, I would still enjoy writing stories, but good teamwork makes everything better. Yes, and even if I preferred not to release a patch to the public that contains a story I wrote - a practice that's always been a shade of gray anyway - if just one of my teammates needed that outside attention to stay motivated, I would release it (to the public) for that reason alone.

However, if the group unanimously granted me full control of our intellectual property, such as the almost finished English patch for SSMS-II, and none of my teammates cared about outside attention, this doesn't mean we wouldn't share it. Any friend or supporter with whom we enjoyed amiable relations might say, "Hey Bill, (or Matt, John, Ian, etc.) I really, really want to play SSMS-II or Aretha-I in English!" We would e-mail that patch, but our readme would contain a line: "This patch has not been released to the general public; therefore, if you did not receive it from a member of our group directly, you are using our intellectual property without our permission." This would be rather like your neighbor burning you a copy of his licensed word-processing software. Then, if you didn't enjoy the product and said so publicly, people would be hearing the opinions of a pirate. Get my drift?

I've been pursuing this hobby for 20 years and writing professionally much longer. Once, I visited many WWW boards and considered the opinions of all. Everything was freewheeling and fun in the beginning, but a few nuts came along who were obsessed with a "purely literal" methodology. If their razor-thin viewpoints weren't matched exactly, some would display near-psychotic breakdowns over both commercial and hobby translations.

Then, a loosely-defined self-appointed number of individuals emerged over time who espoused heavy-handed opinions about right and wrong ways to write game stories. Occasionally, hogwash such as "fourth walls" or "what was actually stated in the Japanese game" spewed forth and became obsessions with a tiny minority who would endlessly vent about someone's work instead of using that valuable commodity to actually create something of value.

Yep, I am the only person in the entire world who has beaten SSMS-II in English. I must report it's an amazing game! All of my teammates have the more primitive patch, not the one that's is well advanced in the process of merging Gerb's translation work with my first draft. In 30 seconds, I could wipe the whole thing and move on to another project. Over time, the rest of our group could put something together, but I wouldn't do this to them in a million years! Nevertheless, we will be conducting internal discussions regarding the future disposition of our SSMS-II English patch.

Let me make this clear. I, personally, don't owe anyone anything regarding story writing - except my group. We who write English stories based upon a different language have no "duty" to do it any certain way except to please those we choose. Once again, I do not localize Japanese RPGs into English as a public service. I do this as a hobby only, for the enjoyment of my teammates, contributors, friends, and myself.

Post subject: Re: To whom it may concern...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 pm 

I for one Bill LOVE your written work, keep it up and don't EVER let the haters/trolls on OTHER forums get you down with their stupid comments.

I will say, i've had the pleasure to play on an early version of your SSMS-II translation and it's fantastic for what I played.

I will also admit.. as I started to read your above post i was worried for a second that you were going to pack it in :/ I'm GLAD you're strong willed
enough to take all these pathetic comments off people who seem to out of nowhere have it out for you.. WE, the fans and im sure D-D got your back,
carry on and keep your head held high and proud cos NOT a lot of people in the world can say they have worked as part of a translation/hacking team.

Keep doing what you love and what us RPG fans love to see finished.. more SNES games :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:46 am 

Wildbill wrote:
Being human, this feedback makes us glow. Once, until about five years ago, it even fueled and motivated me, but not any more. ...

SylarDean wrote:
I will also admit.. as I started to read your above post i was worried for a second that you were going to pack it in :/ I'm GLAD you're strong willed
enough to take all these pathetic comments off people who seem to out of nowhere have it out for you.. WE, the fans and im sure D-D got your back,
carry on and keep your head held high and proud cos NOT a lot of people in the world can say they have worked as part of a translation/hacking team.

Yeah, me too, I was worried that you were going somewhere with that early part... :oops: :? But all is well that ends well (Perhaps?).

Wildbill wrote:
Yep, I am the only person in the entire world who has beaten SSMS-II in English. I must report it's an amazing game! All of my teammates have the more primitive patch, not the one that's is well advanced in the process of merging Gerb's translation work with my first draft. In 30 seconds, I could wipe the whole thing and move on to another project. Over time, the rest of our group could put something together, but I wouldn't do this to them in a million years! Nevertheless, we will be conducting internal discussions regarding the future disposition of our SSMS-II English patch.

Actually, I had the idea that the admins of 'some other site' should restrict the naysayers with bad things to say about a patch upon release where it may turn away any other potential players interested in playing a newly released patch. I haven't contacted the admins somewhere else about it, but it for me and others visiting other places I think bears worth thinking about, anyway.

If you/your team do want to release some of those new patches privately, or be locked inside this forum then that is fine. It's your or possibly your team's decision.

Oh, I just wanted to add that as I've learnt that both Super Shell Monsters Story games are really epic with big storylines I think it'd be unlikely that another English translation would ever be done by another group on either of them in OUR lifetimes now, like at least for the next 80 years. Too bad for the critics, I say.

Bill, you're a legend as ever! As good as the other famous & storied translators like Eien ni Hen, Gideon Zhi, Mato/Tomato, Tom, filler, Draken here too, Akujin (So little is known about him, damn) to name a few (Sorry if I forgot some other worthwhile mentions). This group of hobby workers here are very nice people and they really enjoy doing what they do, and that's what I like to see.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 am 
Site Admin

ObiKKa wrote:

Oh, I just wanted to add that as I've learnt that both Super Shell Monsters Story games are really epic with big storylines I think it'd be unlikely that another English translation would ever be done by another group on either of them in OUR lifetimes now, like at least for the next 80 years. Too bad for the critics, I say.

Bill, you're a legend as ever! As good as the other famous & storied translators like Eien ni Hen, Gideon Zhi, Mato/Tomato, Tom, filler, Draken here too, Akujin (So little is known about him, damn) to name a few (Sorry if I forgot some other worthwhile mentions). This group of hobby workers here are very nice people and they really enjoy doing what they do, and that's what I like to see.
Please don't forget Taskforce, Bongo'...

I'm just a story writer and worker bee who grinds out the research for item naming, secrets, treasures, and such who compiles everything. Without re-coding, tools, graphics re-work, skilled translation, quality editing, proofreading, testing, and FAQs by people such as Ritchie, all I have is 200MB of loose data in a folder going nowhere fast. If anything is legendary here, it's our unprecedented teamwork in this hobby and sharing of the credit far beyond just one individual.

I will finish the SSMS-II story. I guarantee SylarDean and YOU, at least, shall play it - in English!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

Hi Wildbill,

don't let stupid fools trolling on other group's message boards drain your motivation. I've always been a big fan of your work and I personally will ever be grateful for Dynamic Designs bringing me all these games in English. I'm not interested in politics. I just want to play the games. It really makes me angry that some idiots who haven't even played the games they are talking about will be given the power to destroy gamers like me the possibilty to experience your English translations. If someone doesn't like your work, he just should't play it and shut up.

So Wildbill, don't bother with these ungrateful idiots but please have in mind the much bigger number of people you have given joy with your work. As you've already said, first of all you should do it for yourself and your teammates. It's your hobby and you should enjoy it.

I've been following your group for more than 10 years now, sharing some messages with you here and there. You should concentrate on us, the people who appreciate your work.

Best wishes and keep it up (I still need you to finish Oni II btw. :) ) !

Pete

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:27 pm 

Pete wrote:
"I still need you to finish Oni II btw." :) ) ! Pete

Me too.. been looking forward to this one also. :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:23 pm 

SylarDean wrote:
Pete wrote:

Yeah, the truth is, there are still some unstranslated jrpgs for the snes that look really good (I have my eyes set on Madara 2. The first part on the nes was a really nice jrpg). I hope in time my Japanese skills improve and I'm able to at least help with incoming translations (right now I've been studying Japanese for three years, in an academy here in Spain, and boy, it's such a tough beast of a language. It's so different from my own language that I have to change radically my way of thinking to make some sense of what I'm reading. Two weeks ago we had our first partial test and everything went fine except the reading part, which I failed miserably).

But jrpgs motivate me to keep studying, let's see which level I will be ale to reach.

The other day I discovered a jrpg for the pcengine called Seiryu Densetsu Monbit (Holy Dragon Legend Monbit?), and the graphics reminded me of the first SSMS. I need to replay SSMS, I miss that game. It's the embodiment of everything I like in a jrpg :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Image Image

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

akualung wrote:
SylarDean wrote:
Pete wrote:

Yeah, the truth is, there are still some unstranslated jrpgs for the snes that look really good (I have my eyes set on Madara 2. The first part on the nes was a really nice jrpg). I hope in time my Japanese skills improve and I'm able to at least help with incoming translations (right now I've been studying Japanese for three years, in an academy here in Spain, and boy, it's such a tough beast of a language. It's so different from my own language that I have to change radically my way of thinking to make some sense of what I'm reading. Two weeks ago we had our first partial test and everything went fine except the reading part, which I failed miserably).

But jrpgs motivate me to keep studying, let's see which level I will be ale to reach.

The other day I discovered a jrpg for the pcengine called Seiryu Densetsu Monbit (Holy Dragon Legend Monbit?), and the graphics reminded me of the first SSMS. I need to replay SSMS, I miss that game. It's the embodiment of everything I like in a jrpg :)
Guarantee, akualung, you will be at least the third player to receive a patch of SSMS-II in the (e)mail. Gee, I'd like nothing better than to give this patch ONLY to folks I know will play it and enjoy it.

It's sort of like the fish I catch over the year and donate to local retirement and nursing centers, so they may enjoy an annual fish fry. Why would I try to give some fish to someone who says, "I HATE your stinkin' fish!"? The finished SSMS-II English V1.00 patch may end up available to the whole world anyway. It's up to the whole gang to decide.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:25 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
akualung wrote:
SylarDean wrote:
Pete wrote:

Guarantee, akualung, you will be at least the third player to receive a patch of SSMS-II in the (e)mail. Gee, I'd like nothing better than to give this patch ONLY to folks I know will play it and enjoy it.

It's sort of like the fish I catch over the year and donate to local retirement and nursing centers, so they may enjoy an annual fish fry. Why would I try to give some fish to someone who says, "I HATE your stinkin' fish!"? The finished SSMS-II English V1.00 patch may end up available to the whole world anyway. It's up to the whole gang to decide.

I'm really, REALLY grateful, Wildbill :) When I first read that maybe the patch wasn't going to be released to the public I was deeply concerned, because SSMSII is the number one in my list of jrpgs I'd like to play someday. I tried to play the first half an hour of that game in Japanese, but I had a tough time, hehehe. Not having furigana and some kanji being really difficult to read due to snes screen resolution, it must be hard even for native Japanese to read it.

I can't even begin to fathom how hard and complicated must have been to translate such a game. This makes me appreciate even more all the effort put into these translations.