Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hello RPG Lovers!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:25 pm 
Site Admin

I am mainly a writer of RPG game scripts. I have extensive training at the college level and broad experience in professional writing, primarily in the field of journalism, specializing in subjects ranging from global military topics and unit command histories on file at the Pentagon, to sports reporting at the local level. My BA degree from the University of Central Oklahoma is in political science, with minors in geography, sociology, and journalism. I took my masters degree in strategic intelligence at the Defense Intelligence College in Washington, D. C.

Therefore, I am also a former naval intelligence officer with diversified experience in air power, as employed from carrier battle group formations. In addition to being assigned to theaters of conflict during several middle eastern wars, I served a tour of duty involving combat in riverine and jungle warfare, where I functioned primarily as a machine gunner on a river patrol boat and embarked upon 144 combat missions. My training in the use of armaments, ranging from personal sidearms to the 105 mm Howitzer (which degraded my hearing somewhat over time), led me safely through 13 direct engagements with enemy forces.

My favorite weapon was the hand-crank operated, belt-fed 20mm cannon, adapted to the Mark-52 gun mount with vision blocks and a periscope ranging sight. The trigger was left-thumb activated, located in the center of the weapon training mechanism. The right-hand crank elevated and lowered the barrel, which become so hot after a few hundred rounds, my crew mates could light their cigarettes from it. Me...? I don't smoke, but I did bend an occasional elbow after a particularly long, hot patrol. Heh, enough war stories, neh!?

Naturally, I enjoy writing games with plots that match my extensive background in military operations. The word "defeat" is barely in my vocabulary. I enjoy challenges, the tougher and more unusual, the better. Once I start a project, because I believe the value of these games is timeless, I am determined to finish it even if it requires 20 years!

I am married with grown children and have one young granddaughter. Only one of my family members has ever played and finished an RPG. My younger son did Final Fantasy 7.

From time-to-time I may post subjects pertaining to story writing on this board and solicit the ideas of others. Otherwise, I'm open to a broad range of topics for discussion, such as our exchange of ideas on the history of unstable and despotic governments in the Near and Middle East, because the themes of the games we translate are generally based upon or patterned after world conflicts. Or, we may conduct brainstorming sessions on specific project boards or elsewhere. Whatever works.

In sum, do not hesitate to approach me on any matter that concerns the English game scripts I have helped create.

Last edited by Wildbill on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Hello RPG Lovers!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

Slap him for me and tell him next time pick a GOOD RPG :)

Seriously, skip the slapping but you could pass on the message :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:39 pm 

Amazing background Wildbill, I'd never have thought you went through all that. Glad you're still alive and kicking with us after so many perils!
And TF, personally I think FF7 is probably the best of the lot so far, but that's just me...I did play all others and too many non Square RPGs to count, so my mileage says something.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:03 pm 
Site Admin

That game was so boring me and my cop of coffee were snoring loudly by the end of disc 1.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:18 pm 

Oh well...just opinions eh?
To me VIII was an utter failiure and IX was mediocre, but I'm sure many will disagree.
Its not the end of the world

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hehe. Yep I absolutely LOVED 8.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:57 pm 

Thought so haha. People that like 7 hate 8 and vice versa usually.
Hey..don't you feel we kinda snatched Bill's board from him? ^.^'
Sorry Bill!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Slap him for me and tell him next time pick a GOOD RPG :)

Seriously, skip the slapping but you could pass on the message :P

Hee-hee... I started playing FF-7 three different times. It always put me to sleep within a few hours. I never got out of that steel jungle thingy at the very beginning. *Yawn...* I watched Tommy play advanced segments of the game, however. The countryside appeared more FF-like. He was hooked on that game for weeks and actually finished it. He started BoF-IV the following summer but never got much past the halfway point.

Now, with Luminous Arc-II the first night, I looked up at the clock after a while last week and it was 5:00 A.M.!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:14 pm 

That's Midgar^.^'
Myself I played FF7 in one go from start to finish.
I love the game and it was one of the few RPGs that I bothered to do maxing out for my characters.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:44 pm 

Interesting background info Wildbill, I'm actually a political science/history major with a focus on international relations. In fact over the next several quarters I'll be working on a paper that proposes a constitutional design for Iraq that would mitigate ethnic and sectarian conflict. Obviously such a proposition is a little late, but it is certainly an interesting what if.