Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bongo`
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:05 am 

Can you spare some of your precious time to teach me how to perfectly make tables for games that's not compressed. Is there exist any methods that are better than relative searching?

Any word is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Bongo`
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

Wayne wrote:
Can you spare some of your precious time to teach me how to perfectly make tables for games that's not compressed. Is there exist any methods that are better than relative searching?

Any word is much appreciated.

Making tables is not too bad of a task. But what can make it painful are the many
variables that come into play. First it depends on the system you are working on.
I'm pretty familiar with the NES and Snes although I have done things for the Game Gear
and genesis. They are all pretty much the same when it comes to tables.

If a game does have compression, it should matter that much as long as
you can figure out what at least one of the letters are. For example, if 'C' = $52 ( Hex )
then you should know that 'A' = $50. The way I usually make a table is using the font
table for the game. If the game has a compressed font, then I get the font from a savestate
file. More to come. Wife is telling me to get the kids ready for school.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:09 pm 

First, thank you kindly for taking your time to talk to me, I know you're super busy now being a new father.

Bongo` wrote:

Making tables is not too bad of a task. But what can make it painful are the many
variables that come into play.

Yeah I guess it that much. I tried to make a table for DoaE2 before using the following way :

Quote:
Open the ROM you want to hack the text of in NESticle of FCEUd and view the pattern tables (though this section was written for Nesticle, since FCEUd didn't have a pattern table viewer at the time). If you are in an area of the game where text is used, you should see an alphabet somewhere in there; it could be neat and organized like in Mega Man games, or horridly mixed up with the rest of the tiles like in Adventures of Lolo. When you click on one of the letters (or any tile on the pattern tables, for that matter), a window will appear that displays the tile's ID. This is the hex value you're going to use in your table file. For example, if you clicked on A and it displayed 4A, then you would put 4A A into your table; it's as simple as that. Repeat that for every character you will want to see and use (which is usually all of them), and then save your table file. The filename should be identical to that of the ROM you want to use it for, except that it should have an extension of .tbl.

, but only managed to make it display some text in some dialogs and the whole was still missing although I covered the full alphabetical characters in the table. Perhaps the method above is just one of the simplest basic way to make a table so I would need a more powerful technique in order to archieve the goal

The reason why I avoid games that have a compression is because it would take ASM skill to decompress them and because I do not have ASM knowledge at all so it would be more painful for me to deal with the likes of those games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:32 pm 

Bongo` wrote:
If the game has a compressed font, then I get the font from a savestate
file.

So, that's your method?
If a game has a compressed font, then the graphics compression is the first thing I work on. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
If the game has a compressed font, then I get the font from a savestate
file.

So, that's your method?
If a game has a compressed font, then the graphics compression is the first thing I work on. :)

Well, its just faster for me to make a table file :) once im sure of a game
And its inner works AND i know i will work on it then i handle the compression
Should it exist:)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:45 am 

Can you expand on this subject? How do you use assembly to change text in a game? What's the first step?