Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Filler's Translation (Wish) List
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:10 am 
Site Admin

Since I was asked very nicely in another thread, here is a "short" list of SFC games I'd be interested in working on with the group.

Ranma 1/2 Chougiranbuhen
Vs. Fighter. For what it's worth, there are numerous FAQs and some handy cheats. https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588601-ra ... -ranbu-hen
Why I want to translate this: This was literally the first game I ever imported back when I first bought myself a used SNES in about 1995-96. Actually the 3rd game in the series, it's an above average vs. fighter of its time and captures the charm of Ranma 1/2 as well as any Ranma game out there. There is only a small amount of text for each character for the stages and endings.
Video: https://youtu.be/cPLBuTNGOXo

3x3 Eyes - Advent of the Divine Demon Legend (3x3 Eyes - Seima Kourinden, 3x3 Eyes - 聖魔降臨伝)
RPG. There is FAQ on GameFAQs. It's also been played by our resident reviewer "kurisu"! https://superfamicomrpgs.blogspot.com/search?q=3x3
Why I want to translate this: I really like the 3x3 Eyes anime. This is going to be a pattern. :) I've wanted to play/translate the various games for the franchise for a long time. In fact, KingMike and I did our work on this game way back in 2005 close to, 12 years ago now? While I know this has come up here before, I basically consider this abandoned at this point. To that end, I feel like it's okay to say it's in need of technical help. As a bonus, the script is finished! So that part is relatively easy. The bad news is, according to kurisu, the game is "boring, but decent up until the final dungeon, when it becomes unplayable unless you're willing to use glitches." Apparently, there is an issue with a character who joins you for the last dungeon, and this would probably need to be fixed for a translation patch to really be worth it. Still, this is probably as close to a "white whale" from my early days as I have still. I'd like to see it finished. It would be a "large" project, but possibly similar to the Slayers production cycle since the script is essentially complete.

Marmalade Boy
No FAQ. A simulation style dating-sim game.
Why I want to translate this: I actually really dig this style of simulation game. It looks like something along the lines of Welcome to Pia Carrot, White Album, and other such games I've played. I also really like the anime of Marmalade Boy. I originally watched this fan-subbed back around '96-'97. It was my introduction to "shoujo" anime, and romance anime, and despite being "for girls, eww..." it's very approachable for a general audience. The only con for me is that it's probably a big script. I already have some big scripts to work on, and it would probably take me a while. I'd be up for splitting up the translation workload. NOTE: Also, due to the nature of the game, I'd like to retain more creative control over the script than for other games on the list.
Video: https://youtu.be/VIBTY9_-ECo

Ushio & Tora (Ushio To Tora, うしおととら)
Action game. There is a FAQ so-to-speak. Some useful looking cheat codes in it. https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/581930-us ... faqs/39779
Why I want to translate this: This game really wasn't on my radar, but yet again, I'm a fan of the anime. I first watched Ushio & Tora in the early 00s when I randomly bought the DVD used to check it out. Flash forward to 2016 and they released an all new, longer anime adaption. In some ways a standard shounen style show, I always felt the relationship between Ushio and Tora, the supernatural setting, and humor raised this series above many of the time. The game looks to be very similar to Demon Child Zenki: Battle Raiden and would likely have a similar production cycle.
Video: https://youtu.be/5-BxYngPsYE

Mobile Police Patlabor (Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor, 機動警察パトレイバー)
Adventure/Simulation style game. There is a FAQ/Walkthrough with some cheat codes. https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/564347-ki ... faqs/15979
Why I want to translate this: Sensing a pattern? I like the Patlabor anime. Though I've had an on-and-off relationship with it over the years, I've always been intrigued by the games. Maybe because there have been quite a few. This looks like a somewhat unique adventure style game with some action/exploration elements. I normally like translating these style of scripts, and it would probably be just the right length. The game-play seems like something I'd like too, though it will definitely put some people off. I really liked Megazone 23 on the PS3 and this looks very similar.
Video: https://youtu.be/2AO9ANoFPKw

Crayon Shin Chan - The Rambunctious Kindergartner (Crayon Shin Chan Arashi wo Yobu Enji, クレヨンしんちゃん 嵐を呼ぶ園児)
Action/Adventure style game.
No FAQ. Some cheats. https://www.gamefaqs.com/genesis/570392 ... nji/cheats
Why I want to translate this: Ditto about my watching the anime back in the day. The game looks like a charming action adventure game. From what I can tell at the beginning you're looking for your dog Shiro, so you have to go around the neighborhood asking folks if they've seen him, and avoiding your classmates. There seem to be collectable items of some kind. The game is probably for kids, but it also has that Shin-chan humor, and an interesting parallax effect. The script is probably a manageable length.
Video: https://youtu.be/_ApEl2OHgvQ

Appleseed
Action game. No FAQ. Some possibly useful cheats. https://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571122-appleseed/cheats
Why I want to translate this: Ditto about my watching the anime back in the day. Honestly, this game isn't all that good. I own the physical game. It seems like they were trying to make something along the lines of better action games, but the first couple levels are the only ones that it seems like even a little effort went into, and it plays more like a puzzle game eventually, just looking for the correct switch to flip to move on in the game. I'm only really interested in this because the script is short, probably just some opening and ending text, and I like the source material. This would be more for "completeness" than a game that anyone really wants translated so they can enjoy playing it. That said, folks do seem to have made their way through the game and say it's not too bad. It's even been reviewed by CGR!
Video: https://youtu.be/VH7U75UOqfg

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post subject: Re: Filler's Translation (Wish) List
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:38 am 
Site Admin

You know I'd be on board with that Ranma game. I own the only Ranma game released in the US and even though it wasn't a great fighter, I still enjoy playing it today and loved working on the Ranma RPG as well. Yep, if we can get bongo` on board you can count me in if you need some help with anything :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:40 am 
Site Admin

I D/L'd Ranma, 3x3, and Patlabor. Cool stuff. :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:10 am 
Site Admin

After the Arethas and La Wares are released, 3 Eyes looks interesting to me. It takes place all over the world, starts in Hong Kong and winds up in India. Ritchie's FAQ offers a good guide. Notes: The Intro uses vertical Japanese. The characters walking around are proportioned like real people in the street and shop scenes. Estimated time to play is 26 hours. With a script already translated, Ritchie's resource, and the glitches solved, this one might come together quickly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:37 am 

YEAH! that 3x3 eyes looks interesting :)

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:23 pm 

Here's what the bug is at the end of the game. You get a new character in the final dungeon, but she joins your party with HP too low to survive the final boss' fire attack, which he always uses at the beginning of the fight. If any character's HP go to 0 you get a game over.

So you have to level her up, but her XP is bugged so that she needs something like 18,000 XP to move up the first level. I've seen Japanese players say this takes 3-5 hours of grinding. And since you can't leave the last dungeon to save, you have to do all that grinding in one sitting. Furthermore, there are enemies in the last dungeon that have the same insta-death fire attack -- most of the time you can beat them before they use it, but all it takes is one surprise attack and all your hours of grinding are gone.

However, there is a glitch that lets you run from the final boss and it counts as winning the fight. Sometimes the boss uses a lower-power fire attack, so if you just keep trying over and over again until you get a turn, you can use flee and win the battle.

Other than that, as I said in the link above, it's a playable game but one I found kind of boring. Definitely not the worst game I've played, though (other than the bug).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

kurisu wrote:
Here's what the bug is at the end of the game. You get a new character in the final dungeon, but she joins your party with HP too low to survive the final boss' fire attack, which he always uses at the beginning of the fight. If any character's HP go to 0 you get a game over.

So you have to level her up, but her XP is bugged so that she needs something like 18,000 XP to move up the first level. I've seen Japanese players say this takes 3-5 hours of grinding. And since you can't leave the last dungeon to save, you have to do all that grinding in one sitting. Furthermore, there are enemies in the last dungeon that have the same insta-death fire attack -- most of the time you can beat them before they use it, but all it takes is one surprise attack and all your hours of grinding are gone.

However, there is a glitch that lets you run from the final boss and it counts as winning the fight. Sometimes the boss uses a lower-power fire attack, so if you just keep trying over and over again until you get a turn, you can use flee and win the battle.

Other than that, as I said in the link above, it's a playable game but one I found kind of boring. Definitely not the worst game I've played, though (other than the bug).

Sounds like a bug that I would like to try and squash. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 pm 

I have a strange soft spot for Ushio & Tora... I believe there's also an RPG for the original Famicom based on that anime. I remember it mostly because of a pretty good soundtrack and animated battle cutscenes (I believe it's a very late FC game). Also, Appleseed looks pretty good, 3x3 also doesn't seem too bad at a first glance, even if not particularly original...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

I would also like to see Ranma: Chougi Ranbu Hen translated. It's a pretty amusing fighting game with a lot of comedy in the story (being a Ranma game after all). If I remember correctly, it also had an interesting tag team feature where you can swap between two characters in battle when you're at the edge of the screen where your character starts off (left side for player one and right side for player two). The only other SNES game that had such a gameplay option was Fighter's History: Mizoguchi Kiki Ippatsu, which I think would also be nice to see translated one day. Interesting that the first and second game was released in English, but not the third. On the same note, I heard that this Ranma game was not released in English despite the commercials they had in the U.S because the artist of Ranma was not happy with the voice acting that this game had. I don't know if it's actually true or not, but that's what I once read on some gaming website a few years ago when I first found out about this game. At least it's nice that Ranma: Hard battle was officially released in English. It's the only SNES Ranma game to actually make it to the U.S.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:51 am 
Site Admin

I just realized I never actually replied to this thread. :D Thanks for all the support for these potential projects. Literally everything got some love save for Shin-chan. He's kind of a brat anyway...

Bongo` wrote:
I D/L'd Ranma, 3x3, and Patlabor. Cool stuff. :)
@Bongo, thanks for taking a look a those. I'd be interested in seeing any one of those turn into a project.

taskforce wrote:
You know I'd be on board with that Ranma game. I own the only Ranma game released in the US and even though it wasn't a great fighter, I still enjoy playing it today and loved working on the Ranma RPG as well. Yep, if we can get bongo` on board you can count me in if you need some help with anything :)
Thanks! I'm sure you'll be put to work if the time comes.

Further discussion will likely happen internally, but I'd certainly love to hear any more feedback on these as potential projects.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB