Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Filler's Translation (Wish) List
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:52 pm 

I checked out some of the games you mentioned here in the meantime. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. Ushio and Tora - not too bad of a game, and pretty short at that. I wouldn't call it terrible, but it's also not really great either. There's apparently also a Famicom RPG game under the same name; it looked sounded/very good, but I haven't delved into it too much yet. It did seem quite interesting though. :)

2. Appleseed - that one actually seemed pretty wordy. I still liked the bits I played through, but it can be a bit repetitive.

3. Ranma 1/2 - liked that one the most thus far, probably because it's a pretty fun fighter. :)

There's also one more I've tried recently... Ghost Sweeper Mikami it was called, as far as I recall, based on an anime/manga (?) Pretty darn fun platformer all things considered, I especially liked that it had a ghost-hunting theme. :)
2 more I enjoyed are Go Go Ackman 2 and 3. From what I recall, the font in 2 was compressed, but in 1 and 3 it wasn't (talk about consistency). They play quite well, and are overall pretty funny all things considered.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:29 pm 
Site Admin

It's funny you should mention Ranma 1/2... :D

Great of you to take a look at all of these! Ghost Sweeper Mikami is/was one being worked on by King Mike. I actually helped with the script translation for that, also a long time ago now. Unlike 3x3 Eyes, he seems to have done some work on it recently and appears to be picking away at it, so I still consider it in-progress on his end.

I'll have to check out the Go Go Ackman games. The character designs are by Akira Toriyama if I remember correctly?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:53 pm 

filler wrote:
It's funny you should mention Ranma 1/2... :D

Great of you to take a look at all of these! Ghost Sweeper Mikami is/was one being worked on by King Mike. I actually helped with the script translation for that, also a long time ago now. Unlike 3x3 Eyes, he seems to have done some work on it recently and appears to be picking away at it, so I still consider it in-progress on his end.

I'll have to check out the Go Go Ackman games. The character designs are by Akira Toriyama if I remember correctly?

Hey, that's really cool, good project choice in my book. 8-) Would be cool to see GSM finished too. By the way, there's also a GSM PCE-CD game which came out after the SFC game, buuut... it's a VN with some light RPG elements, with a ton of text, as you might expect. I think KingMike also worked on Coryon Land in the past? That one I tried ages ago, and it was also pretty good.

Yup, precisely - there was a short Go Go Ackman manga by Akira Toriyama. The first game (which was fan-translated a long time ago) was based on it if I remember correctly. The 2nd/3rd game are somewhat original as far as plot is concerned. They're not all that complex I guess, but still pretty fun to play. They're pretty late SFC games too, from '95 I think.
I also recall trying one Mickey Mouse game that came out in Japan... it's called Mickey no Tokyo Disneyland Daibouken according to the internet. That one had an interesting balloon attack mechanic, like that one late NES Mickey Mouse game...
Well, just some food for thought; there are still some pretty good platformers/action games for SFC left, after all. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:03 am 

Once you guys finish up Aretha 1/2, SSMS2 and GOD thus shortening the list a bit, would you ever consider Traverse: Starlight & Prairie? Just curious. In my mind, that is one of the best snes games currently lacking a translation.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 pm 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Once you guys finish up Aretha 1/2, SSMS2 and GOD thus shortening the list a bit, would you ever consider Traverse: Starlight & Prairie? Just curious. In my mind, that is one of the best snes games currently lacking a translation.

I vote for this also BUT.. i'm sure i read somewhere that apparently it's a nightmare to hack and translate, I think a few other teams have tried and failed before.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:14 pm 

SylarDean wrote:
DoubleDvideogames wrote:

I vote for this also BUT.. i'm sure i read somewhere that apparently it's a nightmare to hack and translate, I think a few other teams have tried and failed before.

If it's anything like Dual Orb in terms of hacking, it will probably take a titanic effort, and not just on Bongo's part... also, I believe it's a sequel to Soul and Sword, so probably it would be better to handle that one first?

I personally really like Maten Densetsu from the untranslated SFC RPG library, but that's probably because I am a huge fan of everything Shin Megami Tensei-related. It probably wouldn't be that interesting to most people, though it had some nice touches (pretty unique artstyle, a few characters to choose from at the beginning, each boss having its own theme etc.) Either way, that's for you guys to decide anyway. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:12 am 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
SylarDean wrote:
DoubleDvideogames wrote:

If it's anything like Dual Orb in terms of hacking, it will probably take a titanic effort, and not just on Bongo's part... also, I believe it's a sequel to Soul and Sword, so probably it would be better to handle that one first?

I personally really like Maten Densetsu from the untranslated SFC RPG library, but that's probably because I am a huge fan of everything Shin Megami Tensei-related. It probably wouldn't be that interesting to most people, though it had some nice touches (pretty unique artstyle, a few characters to choose from at the beginning, each boss having its own theme etc.) Either way, that's for you guys to decide anyway. :)

Dual Orb 1 is a NIGHTMARE!!!!! The text and pointer system is the worst I have run into yet. As for Soul & sword, I recall someone doing that game. As for the sequel--Traverse: Starlight & Prairie--I believe I did work on that a while ago, but I think someone was doing that game as well, so I scrapped it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:59 am 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
As for the sequel--Traverse: Starlight & Prairie--I believe I did work on that a while ago, but I think some one was doing that game as well, so I scrapped it.
That was my first thought as well. It has a listing at FantasyAnime (http://fantasyanime.com/garden/translat ... m#traverse) and the project is attributed to Yunin[sic] No Translators (supposed to be "Yonin no Translators), which according to this thread is dead as of 2012.

You'll have to forgive us old-timers as it's hard to keep up with the shifting winds in this hobby. :P It may have been 5-6 years ago, but that isn't all that long ago in "romhacking-time". Heck, that's around when I started working on Aretha II. ;)

I seem to remember this is why I advocated for the ability to add in-progress projects to RHDN so there was a more centralized record of who was theoretically working on what. I think they may have actually implemented that now, but it's so long past the point when I'd advocated for it, that I don't ever use it. Either that, or I'm confusing it with a feature added for some other reason.

MariusB wrote:
Hey, that's really cool, good project choice in my book. 8-) Would be cool to see GSM finished too. By the way, there's also a GSM PCE-CD game which came out after the SFC game, buuut... it's a VN with some light RPG elements, with a ton of text, as you might expect. I think KingMike also worked on Coryon Land in the past? That one I tried ages ago, and it was also pretty good.
I consider KingMike to be a pillar of the hobby. Actually, my first released patches were with him (Kalin no Tsurugi, and Dai Meiro Meikyuu no Tatsujin), and he's done a ton of stuff. He's also active in maintaining RHDN and hangs out here on this board.

As for the Ghost Sweeper CD games, there are a lot of other CD games I'd rather work on before GSM. I took a look at the GSM anime a handful of years back and it wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped it would be. Phantom Quest Corp. is way cooler. :)

MariusB wrote:
Well, just some food for thought; there are still some pretty good platformers/action games for SFC left, after all. :)
Lol, I should hope so! There are only hundreds of untranslated games on the SFC. There's got to be plenty of great stuff there. EDIT: Or do you subscribe to Sturgeon's Law?

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:46 pm 

LostTemplar was working on Traverse, then real life hit him and he hasn't been back. The script has been translated for years now and I found someone willing to finish the project. Maybe something will happen this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:07 pm 

Garrett wrote:
LostTemplar was working on Traverse, then real life hit him and he hasn't been back. The script has been translated for years now and I found someone willing to finish the project. Maybe something will happen this year.

OMGGGGGGGGGGG! IF this does happen.. truly.. I will cry cos this is one SFC game I have been dying to play for years. :O KEEP US POSTED !!!

On another note.. as you guys like to go for the oddly cute, odd anime typ and unique looking rpg games .. take a look at 'Super Nazo Puyo: Rulue No Roux' and also 'Super Nazo Puyo Tsuu: Rulue No Tetsuwan Hanjyouki'.. these two games look pretty unique.. adventure rpgs where battles are done in the form of tetris battles.. :O it looks fun. Id also like to see 'Sword World SFC 1 & 2' transalted also.. those look pretty fun and unique also.. the second game kinda reminds me, graphics wise, of Mystic Ark.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.