Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: The Genesis translation list
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:27 pm 

filler wrote:
If Maison Ikkoku is any indication, having the same story doesn't help as much as it seems like it would. :) I'll have to take a look at this. I thought I read that it was some compilation or remix of the first 3 games.

BTW: I have had awful luck with the handful of these that I've checked out so far, in terms of finding the script in the ROM. :P

Perhaps that's the PC-98 version... danke was working on that one AFAIK. Those are basically the first 3 games in one pack. From what I played, the Genesis version seems to be just the first game, but maybe there's more to it. It's easy to find longplays online for that one, so it's probably not too hard to check. :)

As to shooters, Verytex seemed pretty decent to me. Only the ending is in Japanese, maybe it's not that difficult to hack in the end... there's also Panorama Cotton, but that one is apparently hard to hack.

Would be cool to see more of these games done, though I can totally see why the community is focused on SNES more... there are probably more untranslated RPG for SNES than all the JP exclusives for the Genesis put together. :shock: Either way, there are some interesting titles left out there. Quite a few narration-based games in various genres too...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:37 pm 

MariusB wrote:
Wow! That's a really amazing list, I think I'll update mine as well later on. :) Another good list someone linked me, by Spinner I believe: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... =283823988

Oh hey, and I found that Spinner 8 has also created (on Dec 15, 2017) a long list of translated and untranslated games for the PC Engine CD system (Though, no CD-only games). Very useful research for if anyone wants to create a separate PCE CD list thread. Keeping these links here as reminders.

Also, here's the genius part about how to discover who had made these sort of Excel lists. At any of these lists, see the 'About' tab at the bottom-left area of the google docs screen. You can then see that Spinner 8 did it and there are useful additional formulae-driven numbers. For this list it says that +71% of all Japanese PCE CD games are still untranslated. Further below are the links to other Excel lists for other systems just like not only the MD but also Famicom, PCE, SFC & N64!

Then if you click on the 'Genres' tab next to the 'About' tab you see a big chart counting the number of games categorised by their genre. Very nice!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:26 pm 

Precisely, his lists are really good in the sense that you always know the exact number/percentage of untranslated games. As you can see, PCE/N64/MD have rather few games that you could objectively considered 'text-heavy', mercifully enough. It still boils down to NES/SNES, even after all these years, with PCE-CD being rather unexplored by fan-translators for other reasons. :)

By the way, congrats on the release of Battle Golfer Yui filler/Supper! That's one more Genesis game down. Hope Supper does more hacking for the system. I have a couple of titles on my wishlist as far as MD fan-translations go, but either way the more, the merrier. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

I will have to try and translate a PCE game o e of these days. Bucket list item, naybe!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:23 pm 

Bongo` wrote:
I will have to try and translate a PCE game o e of these days. Bucket list item, naybe!?

Mednafen's the debugging emulator you want, but it's all command line and has no debugging front end. Quite the opposite of what I'm used to, but it's good for what it is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:34 pm 

Bongo` wrote:

Another thread time it seems. :D There aren't many RPGs left for the original PCE, actually. I recall Benkai Gaiden, some Momotaru RPGs, Necromancer (the first one) and there was this one game based on Go Nagai's work... Susano-o, I think. Other than that, there's really not much there. PCE-CD is another beast though, with the definitive versions of quite a few games, like Last Armageddon, both Dragon Knights, Alshark, Emerald Dragon etc. Definitely worth looking into. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

MariusB wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Another thread time it seems. :D There aren't many RPGs left for the original PCE, actually. I recall Benkai Gaiden, some Momotaru RPGs, Necromancer (the first one) and there was this one game based on Go Nagai's work... Susano-o, I think.
It's not an RPG, but I'd still like to translate City Hunter (PCE) one of these days.

MariusB wrote:
Precisely, his lists are really good in the sense that you always know the exact number/percentage of untranslated games. As you can see, PCE/N64/MD have rather few games that you could objectively considered 'text-heavy', mercifully enough. It still boils down to NES/SNES, even after all these years, with PCE-CD being rather unexplored by fan-translators for other reasons. :)
When I think PCE-CD I think of David Shadoff and Nightwolve. :) I think that many folks drawn to fan translation originally were fans of JRPGs on the SNES who realized at some point in their gaming careers that many JRPGs weren't making the trip to western shores. Also, a lot of folks just plain played/play Nintendo systems. Sadly, they don't care about, or at least don't have any nostalgia for other systems.

As for my personal anecdote, even being such a huge anime and Japanese game fan, one of the few systems I don't own is a PCE/PCE-CD. I have a Marty for crying out loud! I even own a PCE-CD game or two. I just, for whatever reason, have found it low on my list of priorities to collect for, or play on the PCE-CD. Or perhaps put off by the system cards, and array of hardware releases.

MariusB wrote:
By the way, congrats on the release of Battle Golfer Yui filler/Supper! That's one more Genesis game down. Hope Supper does more hacking for the system. I have a couple of titles on my wishlist as far as MD fan-translations go, but either way the more, the merrier. :)
Thanks! I know at least one on the way. I technically traded Supper's work on Battle Golfer Yui, for the translation of the script for the Sailor Moon game on Mega Drive. I assume Supper will work on that next.

As far as me, I'm interested in trying to dump some scripts from some untranslated Mega Drive games, but we'll see. Depends on what I can make heads-or-tails of, and whether I'm working on something else or not. :lol:

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:02 pm 

I have a few PCE CDs as well but no console. Just emulation.
Though all of them quite inexpensive games.
I remember I have the three Tengai games, Emerald Dragon, Panic Bomber. I think Aurora Quest (which I had guessed was a remake of a Famicom RPG Adventure in the Otaku Galaxy) and another RPG called Seiya Monogatari I played at least the intro with machine-translation. I wonder if the game itself is good, it at least has to be one of the later games (realizing "this is technically an 8-bit console. So that means someone was still producing an 8-bit console RPG in 1995. :) " )
Also Tokimeki Memorial. I don't know when/if my Japanese will be good enough to play the thing but I was like "for a dollar, why not? And that secret Gradius parody mini-game, I think it had."

Marty though? That's quite an obscure console. I think it may even be the most expensive console ever released, isn't it? (people talk about the 3DO, NeoGeo and PS3 having pricey launches but LaserActive and Marty I think were far more expensive and more obscure.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:06 pm 

filler wrote:
It's not an RPG, but I'd still like to translate City Hunter (PCE) one of these days.

I played that one, since I liked the show quite a lot - it's a good choice for a project, as you need to know some Japanese at least in order to get through it, otherwise it's a bit of a wild goose chase. That alone would make it a good translation target. I believe this and Benkai Gaiden are the only untranslated Sunsoft games for the PCE, too.

filler wrote:
When I think PCE-CD I think of David Shadoff and Nightwolve. :) I think that many folks drawn to fan translation originally were fans of JRPGs on the SNES who realized at some point in their gaming careers that many JRPGs weren't making the trip to western shores. Also, a lot of folks just plain played/play Nintendo systems. Sadly, they don't care about, or at least don't have any nostalgia for other systems.

As for my personal anecdote, even being such a huge anime and Japanese game fan, one of the few systems I don't own is a PCE/PCE-CD. I have a Marty for crying out loud! I even own a PCE-CD game or two. I just, for whatever reason, have found it low on my list of priorities to collect for, or play on the PCE-CD. Or perhaps put off by the system cards, and array of hardware releases.

These consoles are really sturdy/durable, and I personally like their compact designs. Plenty of good games for PCE-CD in particular, but they do require a lot of work. For example, games from the Tengai Makyo series are really huge... Aurora Quest, Last Armageddon, all the Cosmic Fantasy titles...

filler wrote:
Thanks! I know at least one on the way. I technically traded Supper's work on Battle Golfer Yui, for the translation of the script for the Sailor Moon game on Mega Drive. I assume Supper will work on that next.

As far as me, I'm interested in trying to dump some scripts from some untranslated Mega Drive games, but we'll see. Depends on what I can make heads-or-tails of, and whether I'm working on something else or not. :lol:

Cool, that would be one more down. :) Hopefully more willing hackers and translators emerge; not that there's that much work left, but there still are quite a few interesting titles out there...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:50 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Also Tokimeki Memorial. I don't know when/if my Japanese will be good enough to play the thing but I was like "for a dollar, why not? And that secret Gradius parody mini-game, I think it had."
You know, being as big a Welcome to Pia Carrot fan as I am, I really ought to play Tokimemo one of these days. :lol:

KingMike wrote:
Marty though? That's quite an obscure console. I think it may even be the most expensive console ever released, isn't it? (people talk about the 3DO, NeoGeo and PS3 having pricey launches but LaserActive and Marty I think were far more expensive and more obscure.)
Sadly, it's a point of shame in my game collection. I got it in maybe 2002 or so? Back when you could still find PC98 games and such in Akihabara. I grabbed it for $200-250 maybe? I don't quite remember. No idea what they went for originally. I just thought it was cool that I could try playing PC games, without too much hassle. I got one game to work on it, then the floppy drive belt broke and it's sat in a box ever since. :D I got a replacement for the belt a few years ago, but haven't installed it.

MariusB wrote:
I played that one, since I liked the show quite a lot
I love the show too. I have most of it on DVD. I haven't played a lot of the game, but it seems like a fun game, and a fun script. Just the right length to be interesting, but not too long.

MariusB wrote:
Cool, that would be one more down. :) Hopefully more willing hackers and translators emerge; not that there's that much work left, but there still are quite a few interesting titles out there...
Yeah, I was surprised I'd never really looked into the Mega Drive much. I might grab a Mega Everdrive one of these days so I can load it up with some Japan region games and check them out on real hardware.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next