Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:02 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post subject: Re: The Genesis translation list
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:38 pm 

I realize later I might've confused Marty with Car Marty. I'm not sure what Marty originally cost but I think the Car version is what originally cost thousands(!) of dollars. (I think it was sold as a car navigation system, which would've been really fancy in 1993 or so, when I can remember reading about it in EGM)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
I realize later I might've confused Marty with Car Marty. I'm not sure what Marty originally cost but I think the Car version is what originally cost thousands(!) of dollars. (I think it was sold as a car navigation system, which would've been really fancy in 1993 or so, when I can remember reading about it in EGM)
That would make sense. I looked it up and it seems like the Marty was around $700 which was definitely STEEP. So you're right about it being 3DO levels.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:27 am 

I saw someone mention the PC Engine CD and I saw this a few days ago.

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.p ... &id_lang=1

This looks like it could be a great way to sidestep all the issues of saving games and having backups for those saves. I have a Turbo Duo, but there is not enough save space and it deletes the files if you do not turn your system on for a few weeks. It even plays cd quality sound. I'm sure I'll have to wait a while to get one, but I can't wait to play Rondo of Blood in English on a real system with faster loading times and the high quality sound.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Spoiler! :
ultpaladin wrote:
I saw someone mention the PC Engine CD and I saw this a few days ago.

https://www.neosdstore.com/shop/index.p ... &id_lang=1

This looks like it could be a great way to sidestep all the issues of saving games and having backups for those saves. I have a Turbo Duo, but there is not enough save space and it deletes the files if you do not turn your system on for a few weeks. It even plays cd quality sound. I'm sure I'll have to wait a while to get one, but I can't wait to play Rondo of Blood in English on a real system with faster loading times and the high quality sound.
That sounds incredible! Almost too good to be true. It may be time for me to look into getting a PCE. :D Seems like about $100 would get you started with a basic system with accessories. Add that device and you'd be golden.

I've been eyeing some everdrives and such recently. One, I'd like to play translation patches on real hardware, and two, games take up a surprising amount of space. I've amassed some pretty great collections over the years, and disc based games in particular seem like they are worth keeping for now. I'm considering getting rid of my cartridge collections though. At least Master System, NES, Genesis, SNES/SFC, and N64. I'm kind of on the fence right now. I could probably afford the everdrives, and maybe even get the PCE stuff with the proceeds, and I'd save space.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:29 pm 

filler wrote:

KingMike wrote:
Marty though? That's quite an obscure console. I think it may even be the most expensive console ever released, isn't it? (people talk about the 3DO, NeoGeo and PS3 having pricey launches but LaserActive and Marty I think were far more expensive and more obscure.)
Sadly, it's a point of shame in my game collection. I got it in maybe 2002 or so? Back when you could still find PC98 games and such in Akihabara. I grabbed it for $200-250 maybe? I don't quite remember. No idea what they went for originally. I just thought it was cool that I could try playing PC games, without too much hassle. I got one game to work on it, then the floppy drive belt broke and it's sat in a box ever since. :D I got a replacement for the belt a few years ago, but haven't installed it.

Just today I bumped into a curious tidbit of information regarding the FM Towns emulation... on the latest MAME version 0.193 while I was checking on the usual emulation update suspects! Also days ago I saw some video(s) online of the enhanced edition of the first San Francisco Rush racing game (The Rock - Alcatraz Edition) on Arcade from Midway running properly for the first time on this latest version. Which is really sweet!

News post from the Mamedev team:
Quote:
If you’re at all interested in the FM Towns, you need to give this release a try, as r09 has made numerous improvements to sprites and scrolling, and greatly improved keyboard behaviour.

From inside the whatsnew.txt file:
Spoiler! :
-fmtowns improvements: [r09]
* Improved horizontal scrolling/positioning.
* Fixed mouse cursor moving on its own in Data West games.
* Implemented half-size sprites and sprite rotation.
* Fixed kana input and identified missing keys.

So you may well want to give that bulky emulation software a go and test some FM-Towns/Marty games on it. See how you go about debugging stuff inside the software if such functionality is available.
Oh, looks like the MAME Dev group has been building in and improving emulation support for the FM Towns machine fast as of late 2017, through v0.191 & 0.192.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
I will have to try and translate a PCE game o e of these days. Bucket list item, naybe!?

Mednafen's the debugging emulator you want, but it's all command line and has no debugging front end. Quite the opposite of what I'm used to, but it's good for what it is.

Agreed, mednafen is the way to go. There is only a handful of untranslated HuCard RPGs left. I think I listed them all somewhere. I remember looking into one of them, Necromancer... that one uses Huffman compression, as far as I recall. Probably that's why it wasn't really ever tackled. It's the first PCE RPG at that, so it's probably not all too interesting - maybe as a challenge more than as an actual game. It did have some designs by H.R. Giger, though. The ones I was interested in were Susano-O (based on Go Nagai's manga) and the Momotaru games. There's also Benkei Gaiden - not sure how it stacks up next to the SFC game, however. There's plenty more on PCE-CD (many absolutely gorgeous, like Anearth or Sol Moonarge), but that has its own challenges, naturally. There's tons of VNs/adventure games on the CD as well, but not on HuCard. You can check Spinner's list if you're interested, guess no need to make another thread for that: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1650432949. You can access other lists via the "About" section. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:58 am 

Hey guys. I was pointed this way from Sega-16. The progress on Surging Aura has stalled waiting on a new translator. I haven't heard from my previous translator in quite some time, which usually isn't a good sign. If anyone knows of someone (filler? ;) ) interested in helping out, please reach out here, at Sega-16 or RHDN!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:17 am 

I think Momotaro uses Huffman as well.
While I think I might have done at least a trial decompression, problem is I don't I understand how to CREATE a Huffman table.
Momo Turbo, while a remake of the first game on the Famicom which has a translation out, is significantly different enough it probably would be worth translating if someone was interested and capable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 pm 

KingMike wrote:
While I think I might have done at least a trial decompression, problem is I don't I understand how to CREATE a Huffman table.
Momo Turbo, while a remake of the first game on the Famicom which has a translation out, is significantly different enough it probably would be worth translating if someone was interested and capable.

Well, even Konami doesn't know how to do it I guess - they released Necromancer (the first PCE RPG) officially in the west for the first time not that long ago (for its 30 b-day I assume) aaaand... it's in Japanese. I guess they didn't want to deal with Huffman either, hah. There are very few HuCard RPGs left, way more on the CDs, but those are a pain to work on. And besides, in the west SNES was more popular (though here in Europe it's Genesis of course), so it's not really a target for most translation groups.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:

I love the fights I have with compression. Huffman varies though. I have written a few huffman routines in my day. JustBreed used huffman. DW4 Used huffman as well, I believe. I hear that PCE uses 6502 processor. Maybe I can have a look at the game.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next