Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The Genesis translation list
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:39 pm 

I figured I'd do a similar list to the one for SNES you can find on this forum (great job Implicid!). Perhaps it's going to help some folks choose future projects, or just interest someone enough to do research on Japanese GEN exclusives. I'm going to only focus on RPGs and strategy games so far, since those are two of the most "undiscovered" genres you could say. I'm going to add the Mega CD section later in the future as well, once more translation patches come out. Anyway:

RPGs/Strategy Games
Translated:
King Colossus (M.I.J.E.T)
Langrisser II (M.I.J.E.T)
Rent a Hero (NikcDC)
Vixen 357 (Nebulous Translations)
Star Cruiser (Nebulous Translations)
Advanced Military Commander (Nebelwurfer HQ)

In Progress:
Surging Aura (RedComet)

Untranslated:
Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor
Maten no Soumetsu
Dragon Slayer - Eiyuu Densetsu 1 (Text/font compression tools and notes for this version -> ROMhacking.net)
Dragon Slayer - Eiyuu Densetsu 2 (Text/font compression tools and notes for this version -> ROMhacking.net)
Madou Monogatari
Yu Yu Hakusho Gaiden
Super Daisenryaku
Bahamut Senki
Dyna Brothers (abandoned script dumper/inserter -> ROMhacking.net)
Dyna Brothers 2
The Hybrid Front (not sure if tryphon is still working on this one)
Kishi Densetsu
NHK Taiga Drama
Ninja Burai Densetsu
Nobunaga no Yabou
Ransei no Hasha
Sangokushi Retsuden
Shura no Mon
Zan Yasha Enbukyoku
Battle Golfer Yui (RPG/golf hybrid - old tools on ROMhacking.net)

Post subject: Re: The Genesis translation list
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

I'd translate the script for Madou Monogatari since I did the one on Game Gear. Battle Golfer Yui looks like the kind of script I'd enjoy also, minus the fact that it's kana only. You aren't going to find anyone here to do the technical work on a Genesis game however.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:36 am 

filler wrote:
I'd translate the script for Madou Monogatari since I did the one on Game Gear. Battle Golfer Yui looks like the kind of script I'd enjoy also, minus the fact that it's kana only. You aren't going to find anyone here to do the technical work on a Genesis game however.

Yeah, I realize that. :) I figured that maybe some newcomers would be interested in working with some of those games, or perhaps someone just wants to check them out, out of curiosity.
If we're talking "pure" JRPGs, there are very, very few of those left - in fact, it's just Dragon Slayer 1 and 2, Maten no Soumetsu, Madou Monogatari and Surging Aura. So, arguably almost all the major JRPGs are done. Every other game veers towards some other genre more, mostly strategy. I guess if you added all the untranslated Genesis games here, there would still be fewer of them than SFC RPGs alone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

I took a look at Battle Golfer Yui, and I have a table file made, and I'm pretty sure I've found all the script. I just need to try to figure out what a couple of the control codes do and I'll dump a script. The main dialog text looks to be about 50K raw, so it's not exactly small, though not large like an RPG. That doesn't include the fixed width text of the intro and such, or the menus, etc...

I guess I'll translate it? Maybe someone will be interested in doing the script re-insertion.

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:55 pm 

Ooh, nice! I like these lists. Perhaps there should be lists for the GBA and Game Gear?

I recommend the SegaDoes blog for when you want to research about more game titles that appeared on the Genesis or any other Sega console. Though the sole reviewer at the blog is FAR behind in terms of reviewing games from the oldest Sega console to the newest console. He's still on the Master System, sadly (The 1985-1989 lists are done. More big lists till 1993 then downsized till the end at year 1998.).

BUT, the good news is that his page lists for the 1988-1990 Genesis games are near completion! Ooh, Star Cruiser might be next to be reviewed (It was fan-translated late last year.)! Then he'll move on to the 1991 page while working on adding new review links to the Master System page in parallel.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:20 pm 

ObiKKa wrote:
Ooh, nice! I like these lists. Perhaps there should be lists for the GBA and Game Gear?

I recommend the SegaDoes blog for when you want to research about more game titles that appeared on the Genesis or any other Sega console. Though the sole reviewer at the blog is FAR behind in terms of reviewing games from the oldest Sega console to the newest console. He's still on the Master System, sadly (The 1985-1989 lists are done. More big lists till 1993 then downsized till the end at year 1998.).

BUT, the good news is that his page lists for the 1988-1990 Genesis games are near completion! Ooh, Star Cruiser might be next to be reviewed (It was fan-translated late last year.)! Then he'll move on to the 1991 page while working on adding new review links to the Master System page in parallel.

Ahhh, I've been following this blog for quite a while actually! I believe the owner is on a temporary hiatus needed to write a book on his previous endeavor (reviews of all the official NES games which came out in the west). Looks like he did review the Star Cruiser already (very favorably at that) - if you use the 'search' function, the review pops up. Perhaps he will update the blog around next year or something.

Speaking of lists, I'd say that GB/GBC/GBA lists could potentially be quite useful. In the case of GG though there aren't that many games left though. All I can think of off the top of my head is one of the good Zenki games, a couple of RPGs (Moldorian, Eternal Legend, Madou Monogatari II and III - danke is working on the PC-98 versions, as far as I know) and perhaps Ninku 1 and 2, which have a fair bit of story. As to SMS, there are only two major games left - Tensai Bakabon and Sherlock Holmes. In other words, some consoles are clearly much better covered than others. :ugeek: Even Genesis has a miniscule amount of untranslated RPG/strategy games, as you can see. :)