Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: End of Year Perspectives and Looking Forward...
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:43 pm 

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I'm still going to give it time, though, and am planning on launching it on Valentine's Day. After all, what better way to color such an occasion than a game rife with Lovecraftian horrors? ;)

Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters Springs to mind... :)

A Happy Christmas to Everyone and may you all have a wonderful New Year! (Tiger eats Ox? Nom nom nom)

http://hollytron.etsy.com

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Though if one of your ASM hackers would like to donate VWF voodoo for the main dialogue I would be quite happy to incorporate it ;)
That would be entirely up to Bongo`.

As for localization, our approach to patch production is different. We don't edit translated scripts. We write stories.

Therefore, it's not important how polished a raw translation is when we receive it, as long as we have an iron-clad understanding of the plot elements. As for me, that is why I need about six months to write a story for an average full-blown RPG that requires 40-to-100 hours to play. I need that amount of time to write three or four drafts and play-through an equal number of times, not to mention conducting exhaustive subject matter research.

Moreover, the approach we're taking with Slayers is unprecedented for me, and I'm having a blast doing it. Filler and I are collaborating on the story creation process together. This is not my first collaboration in a game or commercial product, but definitely the first time my partner has been THE translator. Together we are brainstorming and crafting key scenes together.

Filler's raw translation is technically accurate throughout, but like all translations does not always capture the full essence of a particular scene or develop the potential of latent drama, humor, or other expressive vehicles that reside within. Then again, that is not the translator's job, to write like a pro while pondering five or ten different combinations of words that convey essentially the same information and meaning. They labor mightily, sometimes, just to convert the Japanese to English and render context, correct gender, and proper verb tense.

It is also not the translator's job to set a tone or a style, or to identify and employ other constructive devices such as central metaphors in the crafting of a tale that crosses that line from a typical fan translation to a product of commercial quality - our underlying objective with every single patch we produce, whether the process requires two weeks or two years.

Thus, our Slayers writing teamwork is successful on two levels. I respect Filler's translation ability, and he appears to respect both my writing ability and style. Respect and trust in the writer's mastery of his trade craft is essential if a writer is to find the enthusiasm to keep going forward at a steady pace. Otherwise, a project coordinator should find a different story teller or try to teach himself the profession in a crash-course situation if wants the tale to read just a certain way, or if he doesn't appreciate an author's innate style, or he is overly critical and even demeaning, negative, and resentful toward the basic output of a writer's hard work.

Unfortunately, appraisal of writing quality is oftentimes similar to political polling. Some people will assess something fairly, while a few will always be negative due to self-induced polarization, but in due time, high approval numbers and a majority of positive responses may expose the pathological sourpusses for what they are. Nevertheless, a thoughtful writer who is not purely ego-driven will separate the constructive criticism from resentment because writing quality remains critical in our books (hee-hee...). We are always striving toward improvement because we know that oftentimes, players or readers will judge a work on the writing alone, even though most of them couldn't sit down and do the job "correctly" themselves in a million years, any more than they could govern a nation, state, or city! (hyperbole...! *Smile*)

Maybe our approach is overkill to some who download our patches. Perhaps many players would be basically satisfied with a work that received much less detailed attention and tender loving care. As for me, I will continue to try to achieve a level as close to perfection as I am capable of delivering, and I know that Draken devotes the same amount of effort to his work - as demonstrated in Lennus-II, Mystic Ark, and Chaos Seed.

As for editing script, yes, we do that, too, as one of the final small but essential stages of polishing the product, a process that also takes us about one-to-two weeks. But within the lexicon of the profession, editing is NOT writing (and vice versa), a very basic concept that seems to have been lost on the amateur translation community-at-large since about 1997, made up at that time of mostly students ranging from junior high to undergraduate college level, many of whom possessed diverse but undeveloped talents but were driven by hard-headed dispositions, based upon the preconceived notions of their limited life experiences. (...an erstwhile teacher's frustration finally vented...)

Getting back to editing, we edit each other's scripts usually - after all of the research, brainstorming, and story writing is accomplished. Usually, the whole team goes over everything with a fine-toothed comb, except Bongo`. We can't get him to take a break from writing code long enough to play a finished work all the way through! But Taskforce is running final checks on Feda as I speak, prior to our final, updated release, as performed by Red Soul, who now counts Feda among his favorite games.

I could write on "writing" endlessly, but I'll stop here, so I can get some useful work done this A.M.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:09 pm 

I would really hope someone reconsiders translating the 2 AO's. They seem to be the most most awesome games on your onegoing project list besides burning heroes and chaos seed (I am an snes fanboy).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:15 pm 

ultpaladin wrote:
Gideon Zhi,

How does script editing usually work for you? Do you copy the script onto a text file, spreadsheet or do you use something else especially if someone is doing editing work for you.

Generally speaking, it's a text file ordeal. The script gets dumped - in Japanese - into a text file, which then gets translated and tinkered with until it actually inserts back into the ROM. Any editing/writing/etc gets done to that file, which again tends to be a transformed version of the original script dump.

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I can safely say that you should not need to worry about Romancing SaGa 2. I'm trying to put together a list of the next four games I'll be working on, and RS2 is certainly among them. I'm thinking it'll end up being RS2, Ancient Magic, Ys 5 and Rejoice, though not necessarily in that order. RS2 however will *not* need to be edited. It was translated by Eien ni Hen, and she edits herself. Provided that Ancient Magic comes before RS2, which seems to be very likely, you'll be able to get a good feel for her writing style, and suffice it to say that her scripts are far, far better than the ones I get from most of my other translators (though no offense to them!)

Though if one of your ASM hackers would like to donate VWF voodoo for the main dialogue I would be quite happy to incorporate it ;) The menus are a different routine and the world map stuff something else entirely - sprites, I think. But the main font is a crazy hodgepodge of one routine repeated several times, and the tilemapping for the output is outstandingly insane. I've got it working for a fixed 8 pixels width per character, and unless something drastic happens that's the way it's damn well staying.

At this juncture it should be noted that of the four games I announced that I'd be working on last... August, was it? Three of them required major script edits. This has been THE reason they've been slow - I figured I could do each edit in a week, maybe two. Hacking, for me, tends to be a lot easier than writing, and requires a lot less imagination. As such for future efforts I'm only going to be announcing one of the four which require major edits (in this case, Rejoice, which is a blast to work on and should not be a chore at all.) Of the remaining two of the August announcements, Megami Tensei is glitchy as all hell and Laplace's Demon, well, needs to be edited, though most of its text is descriptive rather than dialog, which presents an interesting shift in effort on my part. I'm still going to give it time, though, and am planning on launching it on Valentine's Day. After all, what better way to color such an occasion than a game rife with Lovecraftian horrors? ;)

You mentioned a million games in there, which one are you talking about wanting a VWF routine??
IF I can do it ( sounds like pure evil ) and I find time, it will be mostlikely after I get Chaos Seed squared away. Then I have to get in touch with Taskforce for some much needed catch up work. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:56 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
ultpaladin wrote:
Wildbill,

Would you ever be interested in working on the Glory of Heracles series? Its kind of like Dragon Quest in Ancient Greece. Glory of Heracles 2 and 3 are already in English if you want to see what the game is like. And of course the DS game is coming out in 2 weeks.
I'm trying to recall who did one of the Heracles games a few years ago - someone I helped with a few small tasks more than 10 years ago. Was it Toma?

Anyway, the answer is yes. I am always receptive to new projects if enough team members feel the same way. I always try to be adaptable and willing to broaden my interests. Accordingly, I have found very few series-based RPGs, if any, that I dislike so much that I would come on this board and rant about how much I hate them - to the point that I might make some people who like them feel uncomfortable. The pleasures I receive from helping others finally enjoy a certain game they love always more than offsets any personal negative feelings I might harbor about a particular work.

But I would need to play a bit of a Heracles game to determine if it was one that could grab me in that special way.

It seems the only Heracles games not translated or being worked on is the Game Boy game.
(I thought the original game wasn't being worked on, but it sounds like DvD has been making progress.)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:31 am 

Glory of heracles 4 is on the list of things to be translated for dq translations it should happen someday from them. I would like to see really only snes games continued and then move up to gba and ds eventually. But thats just my opinion. I like the dedication of the team here and I think they are too talented for nes,gb games and the like.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:15 am 

Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:
You mentioned a million games in there, which one are you talking about wanting a VWF routine??
IF I can do it ( sounds like pure evil ) and I find time, it will be mostlikely after I get Chaos Seed squared away. Then I have to get in touch with Taskforce for some much needed catch up work. :(

RS2. The rest are fine as they are (some even already are vwf!)

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:03 am 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
Gideon Zhi wrote:

RS2. The rest are fine as they are (some even already are vwf!)

ARGH!!!!! The dreaded RS2!!! I hear that game is a nasty pice of poisoned cake! :shock:
Not sure when I will have the time to check it out. I have my hands full but if I feel the need o take a break from what I have been looking at for ages then I will try and remember to have a look at the code!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:02 pm 

Just wanted to say that i appreciate the work all you guys do a lot, the patience, dedication & professionalism I've witnessed here & at Gid's place truly deserves credit, i never would have to patience to pick apart a game in assembler, redo parts of it (and usually better then it was!) insert a new dialogue in a completely different language and get it all working again, i tip my hat to you guys, and may 2010 bring you lots of enjoyment in your hobbies & lives :)