Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Post subject: Re: My top translation list.
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:49 pm 

Subject: My top translation list.

SylarDean wrote:
Ummm? it's meant to be a world map pointing out ALL the locations in the game.. I don't see what's wrong with the yellow but as you wish, tell me what you think
between the two and which you prefer to use.. well, which Hausen prefers to use.

Penglaishan with glow, (it seems to draw the eye any hows).

Spoiler! :

Penglaishan without glow, (looks more natural to the map).

Spoiler! :

And.. why are we posting in here? this is totally off topic for what this post is meant to be for... lol. Someone needs to start new topic, like "artwork" or
something, or I should start a "SylarDean's Map Art" section.. lol.. but wouldn't know where that would be best to fit into these forums or correct place.

YES, yes! I like that first picture. It's perfect from that map's point of design. It doesn't matter that it glows, it just doesn't seem to compete so much against the red glow letters of all of the other location names and that's the right design profile - I just like it! Also another important but subtle design hint - you've made the text look thin compared to the red text's font, which makes it even more inconspicuous. But the second picture would be fine if hausen does like it.
Perhaps ask Draken or Bongo' to build a new Shiki Eiyuuden development page under the first sub-forum section (as your own SylarDean's Map Art section) or the second one (as Shiki Eiyuuden)?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:15 pm 
Site Admin

Have we officially (or even unofficially for that matter) picked up the game? If so, then making a new forum is no big deal. Feel free to keep posting in here, though. I'm glad to see a couple of people keeping these forums active ;)

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:13 pm 

There's about a dozen more locations and caves not labeled on the map. Someone has actually uploaded a full ingame world map over here (a large gif file):
http://fc.ffsky.cn/img/ShikiEiyuuden/WorldMap.gif
I have to give the designers credit for such a huge map.

By the way, I still have no idea what to call this game in english lol. The name is probably supposed to refer to Sima Qian's "Records of the Grand Historian" also known as Shiji which is a real ancient Chinese book longer than the old testament but really doesn't amount to a terrific title. The game's subtitle "Jinryuu densetsu" means something like the secret of the dragon people, but that just makes even less sense because how would it make any sense?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:20 pm 

Draken wrote:
Have we officially (or even unofficially for that matter) picked up the game? If so, then making a new forum is no big deal. Feel free to keep posting in here, though. I'm glad to see a couple of people keeping these forums active ;)

I wasnt sure myself that this game was picked up by D-D or not Draken.. thanks for clarifying that, totally thought it strange that it had in fact NOT been covered at all other than these few posts here. Seems I might have been roped into creating a map for a game that's not even anywhere near completed yet, NOT that it hasn't been fun. So with that..

@Obikka... I didn't make no change to the text font, size or boldness, I think its probably cos of the colour change and glow colour that's making it look that way, but they are ALL the same text font size, I have no idea why it makes it look smaller.. lol.

hausen wrote:
There's about a dozen more locations and caves not labeled on the map. Someone has actually uploaded a full ingame world map over here (a large gif file):
http://fc.ffsky.cn/img/ShikiEiyuuden/WorldMap.gif
I have to give the designers credit for such a huge map.

By the way, I still have no idea what to call this game in english lol. The name is probably supposed to refer to Sima Qian's "Records of the Grand Historian" also known as Shiji which is a real ancient Chinese book longer than the old testament but really doesn't amount to a terrific title. The game's subtitle "Jinryuu densetsu" means something like the secret of the dragon people, but that just makes even less sense because how would it make any sense?

With the post above off Draken, it's safe to agree that if it's NOT a D-D project then i'd like to know a few things before I continue on with any more of this world map I have created for your project.

1. Who exactly IS producing this translation, name of person/persons/group?
2. Do they have a forum, website, blog or whatever I can visit?
3. What exactly are your plans for this project? are you just testing out your capabilities as a hacker, translator etc? or is your end goal to get a full released English translation released to the public.
4. How exactly are you translating the game? do you have a dedicated translator or are you using some kind of translating programme and just trying to arrange the translated words to fit and make sense?
5. How far along are you in this project? or rather.. how much % of the game would you say you have completed?

thanks.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:24 am 

Bongo` wrote:
It's in motion. I have the game prwtty much hacked.
I even fixed the slow town walking speed. If anyone has played the game, they will appreciate this fix.

It's still being translated so I can't say yet. No jinxing.

The script must be a difficult piece of work to translate. From what I can tell, chinese characters and words are abundant and the translation needs to take those into account (like many spells seem to translate to garbage with japanese GT but make some sense in chinese) as well as many chinese stories and legends that are enacted in cutscenes and the like. I don't mind DD not having a project page yet if the translation is still very much work in progress. Like said no jinxing it ;)

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:09 am 
Site Admin

What's probably going on is Bongo` has someone working on translating the script, but no official announcement has been done as we want to avoid looking like we are taking on more than we can chew, and right now, I think that most of us over here at D-D maybe do have quite a lot on our plates. For example, I'm coordinating G.O.D. and Xak (oops! isn't that semi-secret? hehe). I hardly have enough time for both of them, so I don't think I'd be the best person to tackle another project at the moment. I bet the others here feel the same way. Maybe Filler would like to take a stab at it....? ;)

I'm sure Bongo` will pop in and let us know what's going on when he gets enough time. I think he's pretty busy these days, and I have a TON of G.O.D. work I'm about to swamp him with. *shhhh* Don't tell him!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:01 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Maybe Filler would like to take a stab at it....? ;)

Hell no. :D I'm good for translation/checking, kanji id, some graphics, & editing/coordinating small projects, but nothing RPG size. Unless it's a VN that's brain-dead easy to play. (That's why I'm kind of looking forward to Ah! Megami-sama when I ever finish it up.)

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:56 pm 

Right, so what your saying is.. that it IS a D-D project but it's a slow unannounced one for now as too many projects on the go?.

I'm wondering now why have I done this 'world map' so close to the beginning of the project when it might not even become a
project. SO early on the chances are that places names will change etc etc.. SO! I think it will be best for now, until the game
has an official announcement of its project going ahead, that I stop labelling the world map. I have it saved any hows so I can
keep it stored safe until the day comes that D-D announces it as a project.

In the mean time, I will remove any pictures I have posted here cos I don't want other people not involved in the translation
project getting a hold on this map, as it's a creation i'm only doing for YOU guys.

Spoiler! :
CHECK OUT MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL @ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5DrStvYrMxTrHZR11paQMA/
You can find all types of RPG, JRpg, Mmo, PC, SNES, and PS1 games mini-reviewed with no voice-overs there.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:05 am 
Site Admin

When it comes to RPG's. I definitely wouldn't do any outside work on maps or manuals unless we've made an official announcement about picking up the game on the main page.

You see, we can hold back announcing things for a number of reasons these days. After years of doing this, we've figured out it is best to announce once most of your ducks are actually in a row. There are many things that can bring a translation to a grinding halt and stop it from being completed.

1. Technical aspects, such as Arc the Lad where the game is just too much work for the amount of time we have.
2. We might hold off to make sure the core translation support is solid. We've worked with some excellent translators. Men and women who were definitely committed to getting the job done. However, when working with a new translator, it is best to err on the side of caution. They might have the best of intentions, but have never done a translation before and find that it is just too much work or too difficult for them and drop out on us or just disappear without a word. It has happened a few times to us already. We don't blame any of them. It is a heck of a lot of work and we totally understand that some people just don't understand that going in. We are just happy with whatever they complete. Everything helps.
3. We are already really busy with what we already have on our plates so announcing more (especially stuff in early development) is just unnecessary. We don't need to make some artificial quota and there is no award for the most projects. If we find someone else has started working on that project too, we'd quietly talk to them and either continue our work as well, cancel ours or best yet try to join forces if it was at all feasible.
4. And a final reason we may not announce is because the decision to move forward with it as a D-D project, joint project with another team/person or donate it to someone else has not been made. Bongo` does donate his work and services to others. Everyone in the team is free to do so. So it is possible that a project won't move forward as a D-D project in the end.

With all that being said, you can still pretty much find us talking publicly in the forums around here about any big projects we've got underway, even if they haven't been announced. Small projects are sometimes kept under wraps but those are an entirely different matter. They usually take a number of weeks, not a number of months or years to complete, and sometimes we just like to have small surprises for you guys so you know we are still working even when progress on larger stuff has slowed (which has been the case recently.) We even have a couple of these in the works right now that you should be seeing pretty soon but I'm not going to say what. That is our little secret :)

Anyway, back on topic, I definitely wouldn't do any work until an announcement. When it comes to RPG's, most if not all will be announced well before release and you'll have plenty of time to do that work on maps or manuals once the announcement drops.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:10 am 

You guys have excellent stuff on the pipeline and your commitment to quality & bugfree releases is commendable, even if those releases take time! I didn't intend or demand to siderail attention from those projects to other stuff which isn't in your focus right now.

Putting up scans of this game's manual was, in my part, to show support and for anyone translating the script hoping it might help them in some way. Having played it I know that many of the mechanics are obtuse, like that items and spells have no descriptions ingame which are elaborated in the manual (maybe?), and that the subject matter of the game is foreign to most (I'm no expert either lol).

Either way, I finished the game yesterday, and let me say the weight of the story - even in japanese - is so that now I really wish someone told me what the damn was going on all that time :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next