Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
Post subject: Re: My top translation list.
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

Garrett wrote:
You're terrible at keeping secrets Bongo'.

@#$%, I've been translating games for almost 10 years now and it does get old after a while especially when I'm handling most aspects of my projects aside from translating. I say I'm gonna retire, but I can't bring myself to leave the hobby. Unfortunately, I'm probably hooked for life it seems. Every once and a while I do take long breaks though and won't touch any of my projects for months.

Yeah, I'm bad a secrets. But you know what, it doesn't matter. This is one of those games that
could easily be picked up or already be receiving the translation support from a different
group / person. That was kind of the case with Mystic Ark. I'm not sure Gideon would have worked on the game if he knew we were doing it and vice versa.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:10 am 
Site Admin

ultpaladin wrote:
Do you know any French Recca? Surging Aura was translated to French and I could have sword you said you lived in Canada. Of course I guess you would likely have to be in Quebec if you were fluent in French.

Indeed I do, but not in Quebec. I know some French, but not quite enough to call myself fluent. As for Surging Aura, I've played a bit of the French version, but it's a bit hard for me to read and understand everything that's going on in the game which is why I've added to my list of remaining games that I would like to see translated into English. The same was true for Crystal Beans. I'm glad that it was translated in English as well and by the same team members with some outside help.
Bongo` wrote:
I wouldn't mind working on non RPGs. I like Action games just as much. I thought most people playing these translations were mainly into the RPG genre. If some one brought me an action game to help on I think I would do it. :)

As for system preference, the S/Nes is what I have worked on for ages. I'm sure I could
work on other platforms but I'm not too sure I'm long for this stuff much longer. La Wares was
to be my last project ( yeah, I know I never said anything ) but my friend HAD TO REMIND ME
OF A GAME HE ASKED ME TO DO A FEW YEARS AGO!!!!!!!! So I am working on the one and
even have a translator ( hopefully ) working on the script. I never mentioned it to any
of the group members because everyone seems to want to retire. :) I'm sure they would like
the game.

But it wouldn't be the same without you if you were to quit. I don't even think that the group would still exist... Filler is right about taking breaks when needed and continuing projects when you have some free time. I took some breaks now and then, but I'm ready to start translating La Wares into Romanian whenever the English version is first released so I can use the updated inserter. By the way, Verne World looks like a great game. That's another one I forgot to put on the list, but oh well.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:15 pm 
Site Admin

Bongo` wrote:
filler wrote:
Bongo` can speak for himself but I believe SNES is the only platform he intends to work on. With that in mind I'd love to work on some games with shorter scripts like action games, etc. I think they are a good complement to long RPGs since the pace of the project is completely different. It's the kind of thing that can keep the momentum going while longer projects are being worked on, and they can be fun in their own right.

I wouldn't mind working on non RPGs. I like Action games just as much. I thought most people
playing these translations were mainly into the RPG genre. If some one brought me an action
game to help on I think I would do it. :)

As for system preference, the S/Nes is what I have worked on for ages. I'm sure I could
work on other platforms but I'm not too sure I'm long for this stuff much longer. La Wares was
to be my last project ( yeah, I know I never said anything ) but my friend HAD TO REMIND ME
OF A GAME HE ASKED ME TO DO A FEW YEARS AGO!!!!!!!! So I am working on the one and
even have a translator ( hopefully ) working on the script. I never mentioned it to any
of the group members because everyone seems to want to retire. :) I'm sure they would like
the game.

Here are a few pics.
Well, that makes it official. We've all broached the "R" word. You know, if we were a company or other high-tempo oriented organization that recruited specific high-caliber talent and managed it well, and we worked as hard as we do in a business or agency mission and got along well all of the time, no doubt we'd be a smashing success at anything we tackled.

The difference here is we are engaged in a hobby, continuing to juggle the ever-increasing demands of responsibilities, other interests, and yes - even worries that seem endless. What makes this engine run is the fun-factor. I believe most of us have examined that aspect in the past year or so - giving the whole process a critical review to see if it still existed, could be pumped back up, and if our roles (basic purposes in being here) were still valid.

Speaking for myself, all I can say right now is that SSMS-I paid off (due to teamwork), Galaxy Robo was an unexpected bundle of fun, and I'm enjoying Minerva. I am also anxious to get back and finish the first run of SSMS-II, wrap up the second plays of the Arethas, and jump into the second round with La Wares. When TF does the first pass with Oni-II, I have that one to look forward, too, and I haven't forgotten DoaE-GB either.

Right now, we have a half dozen games that could fall right in behind SSMS-I, bang, bang, bang... and new ones queuing up on those ever-loving plates. Nothing lasts forever, but I guess it comes down to one additional variable that's both subjective and unpredictable, and that's the undefinable urge that some human beings develop toward being self-compelled to do anything. So, let me go ahead and call it what it really may be - in some of our cases - the dreaded "O" word, obsession.

With me, my lifelong obsessions have always been to finish everything I started- whatever they may be. For this reason, even when maybe I should have failed at some challenges, I somehow managed to succeed at almost everything I tried. Over time, the reasons become obvious: hard work, perseverance, and not seeking personal glory. In fact, throughout my life, the more I gave credit to others (the players for winning the district basketball championship - not their coach; my wife for making enough money to buy the house materials - not the builder; the squadron intelligence officers for effective briefing and debriefing of flight crews - not their supervisor, that zany air wing intel wienie), the faster victories, homes, awards, and promotions seemed to pile up!

So, I will say this now. Without the other three core members, my RPG story writing work is useless. A similar situation may pertain all of us, as it affects the overall quality of our patches. We have a special chemistry that works most of the time to create a formula for success. It will keep working while all of the parts keep coming together. But once the coding, quality control, and site maintenance aspects go away, it's probably gone, as in retiring from the government and letting an expensive security clearance expire. Such a decision may lead to irreversible consequences, so that is something to weigh beforehand.

Finally, I have a real, honest-to-goodness translator who has indicated he or she may be as committed to a particular game as I am. I haven't brought up this game in five or six years, but if the person is a serious as I always have been, that this game deserves a high quality old-school fan translation in the same unadulterated spirit as the prequels in the series, then all we would need is a coding expert and a team of obsessed RPG nuts to patiently contribute to putting it together over whatever time it would take - without rushing. People are always saying we need a translator before we consider this or that. Well...

And yeah... What happened to the "seckrete" project Shirjouken-something (whatever it was)? I was looking forward to writing that one.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 2:49 am 

Recca wrote:
By the way, I wonder if Japanese gamers sometimes get annoyed by how much English text some of these games contain? Especially in the menus and such. For example, Battle Master has the entire menu, character names and options in English, only the opening and ending character cut-scenes are in Japanese. And to think that most English speakers who see even a little Japanese text in translated games get angry. Imagine how the Japanese feel when they're own native games are half in English. How ironic that must be for them...

I hear it's more understandable to them because they're forced to learn (at least some amount of) English in schools.
While in America, we don't really force kids to learn any languages. (though I think it is common in high schools to require them to take at least a couple years of a foreign language, with Spanish and French being the most commonly offered choices)

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 2:53 am 
Site Admin

I also forgot to mention this one:

27. DunQuest: Majin Fuuin no Densetsu (SNES RPG):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/571315-dunquest-majin-fuuin-no-densetsu

I've added it to the first post's list as well. It's a rogue type RPG like Shiren The Wanderer. I've also added Verne World as well.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:

I've added it to the first post's list as well. It's a rogue type RPG like Shiren The Wanderer. I've also added Verne World as well.

I have some work done on this as well. It's an OK game to hack. OH well. I get bored some times
and will just fiddle with games randomly. Just fun I guess.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:

Would you coordinate this game if Bongo` will get you a script dump and we find a translator for it?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:38 am 
Site Admin

If everyone would be okay with the idea, then sure. It would probably be a harder challenge than La Wares, but I think that I would be able to do it. I've played Shiren The Wanderer, so this shouldn't be any more difficult. It would be a nice project for me to take on either before or after finishing the Romanian La Wares translation (for which I'll wait until I can use the final version of the inserter that contains the bug and script fixes). That's what I did for Silva Saga-II (I translated it into Romanian after the English version was released).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:08 pm 
Site Admin

I just wanted to leave a quick note about this game as a possible translation project, which is better known as Kirby KiraKira Kizzu:
30. Kirby no KiraKira Kids (SNES puzzle game):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/569905-kirby-no-kirakira-kids

I noticed that this game already has a translation, it just wasn't made into a ROM hack:
http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/games/nokirra/translation/

I'm curious, would it be possible to insert this translation into the game (with the author's permission of course), and how hard would it be seeing as this is a pretty short game with little text? And as a bonus, it already has it's own nice English font! This game is a remake of Kirby's Star Stacker which was a Gameboy game. The gameplay is about the same, but the graphics and music in the SNES version are much better. Not to mention, that it also adds a nice story mode, which the original version lacked. For those who are curious, the English text screen can be seen by selecting the second option with Rick (the hamster) on the main screen, then pressing the "R" button twice on the controller. This is the screen where the player can create a profile to save game statistics, instead of playing as a guest.
Attachment:
Kirby_no_Kirakira_Kids 2015 10_14 08-35-49.png
Kirby_no_Kirakira_Kids 2015 10_14 08-35-49.png [ 16.75 KiB | Viewed 20306 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Recca wrote:
I just wanted to leave a quick note about this game as a possible translation project, which is better known as Kirby KiraKira Kizzu:
30. Kirby no KiraKira Kids (SNES puzzle game):
http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/569905-kirby-no-kirakira-kids

I noticed that this game already has a translation, it just wasn't made into a ROM hack:
http://www.kirbysrainbowresort.net/games/nokirra/translation/

I'm curious, would it be possible to insert this translation into the game (with the author's permission of course), and how hard would it be seeing as this is a pretty short game with little text? And as a bonus, it already has it's own nice English font! This game is a remake of Kirby's Star Stacker which was a Gameboy game. The gameplay is about the same, but the graphics and music in the SNES version are much better. Not to mention, that it also adds a nice story mode, which the original version lacked. For those who are curious, the English text screen can be seen by selecting the second option with Rick (the hamster) on the main screen, then pressing the "R" button twice on the controller. This is the screen where the player can create a profile to save game statistics, instead of playing as a guest.
Attachment:
Kirby_no_Kirakira_Kids 2015 10_14 08-35-49.png

Hmmm, I will have to take some time and have a look at this game. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next