Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Post subject: Re: The SNES translation list
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:06 am 

DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Just curious, does anyone know what is going on with the Elfaria 1 and 2 games? Or is nothing going on?

How about Light Fantasy 1 and 2? Or Rejoice?

I don't think anything's going on with Elfarias and/or Light Fantasy 1 and 2; they're all considered pretty bad games at that (kurisu mentioned Light Fantasy 1 is downright unplayable), so I don't know if anyone will take up the mantle and do them in the near future. As to Rejoice, Gideon Zhi is posting updates on his projects every Monday. It's possible that he'll say more about this game this month, as it's probably not that far off from completion.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:29 pm 

It's not Light Fantasy but similar game Song Master on the SNES (another JAM game) among the handful of games (as well as a few Game Boy games) I've been playing and trying to translate, going to push myself to work on them all gradually more regularly as reading practice. (at the last I had long ago found some Japanese person had transcribed some if not all of the story script into kanji, which should help me).

I had done some work on Song Master already, got some basic table work done but I recall there's some compression to work out. Though I've looked more at playing right now.

I suppose it is best I don't test an "unplayable" game in Light Fantasy if I feel I've had my fill of "unfair" games for a little while.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:37 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
It's not Light Fantasy but similar game Song Master on the SNES (another JAM game) among the handful of games (as well as a few Game Boy games) I've been playing and trying to translate, going to push myself to work on them all gradually more regularly as reading practice. (at the last I had long ago found some Japanese person had transcribed some if not all of the story script into kanji, which should help me).

I had done some work on Song Master already, got some basic table work done but I recall there's some compression to work out. Though I've looked more at playing right now.

I suppose it is best I don't test an "unplayable" game in Light Fantasy if I feel I've had my fill of "unfair" games for a little while.

If I recall, Eien Ni Hen was considering work on Light Fantasy 2. Not sure if she still is though...

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:38 pm 

MariusB wrote:
DoubleDvideogames wrote:
Just curious, does anyone know what is going on with the Elfaria 1 and 2 games? Or is nothing going on?

How about Light Fantasy 1 and 2? Or Rejoice?

I don't think anything's going on with Elfarias and/or Light Fantasy 1 and 2; they're all considered pretty bad games at that (kurisu mentioned Light Fantasy 1 is downright unplayable), so I don't know if anyone will take up the mantle and do them in the near future. As to Rejoice, Gideon Zhi is posting updates on his projects every Monday. It's possible that he'll say more about this game this month, as it's probably not that far off from completion.

Elfaria is OK; ultimately I got bored of it and it was kind of a slog to finish, but it wasn't terrible.

Light Fantasy 1, as you say, is garbage. I've heard that 2 is only a mild improvement but it will be a while before I get there.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Anyone have any thoughts on Shinseiki Odysselya 1 and 2?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 10:34 pm 

Although I haven't been giving the games numerical ratings, this is generally how I would classify the games I've played so far:

Good - Dragon Quest V, Breath of Fire

Average - Glory of Heracles III, Benkei Gaiden, Metal Max 2, Jungle Wars 2

Bad - GDLeen, Romancing Saga, Maka Maka, Villgust, Hero Senki, Song Master, SD Gundam Gaiden 2, Xak, Albert Odyssey

Terrible - Light Fantasy, Fist of the North Star 5, 3x3 Eyes*, Cyber Knight, Dual Orb 1

* If the XP bug were fixed, 3x3 Eyes would move up to "Bad".

So no hidden gems uncovered yet, although a few Average games that haven't been translated yet.

Bongo: Odysselya 1 is next up on my list after Danzarb and a few PC Engine games, so I'll be getting to it probably in 1-2 months.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:31 pm 

Setting of the "Odysselyas" looks interesting, but who knows how dreadfuls of a game might lurk underneath? How's their reputation in Japan I wonder. First one was almost released stateside back in the day, with magazines advertising it and whatnot, but it never materialized and that translation appears to be lost to the ages. Not having had played either, I'm unsure how exactly the time travel element integrates with the historic themes.

Looking forward to your review of SO1, kurisu! You'll be bound to shed some light on the mystique surrounding this series.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 1:18 am 
Site Admin

hausen wrote:
Setting of the "Odysselyas" looks interesting, but who knows how dreadfuls of a game might lurk underneath? How's their reputation in Japan I wonder. First one was almost released stateside back in the day, with magazines advertising it and whatnot, but it never materialized and that translation appears to be lost to the ages. Not having had played either, I'm unsure how exactly the time travel element integrates with the historic themes.

Looking forward to your review of SO1, kurisu! You'll be bound to shed some light on the mystique surrounding this series.

I can absolutely see why neither of the Odysselyas were fully translated, and it's NOT because of the content. The text storage and compression alone are some of the strangest I have seen yet...Has anyone successfully dumped the scripts for these games?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:50 am 
Site Admin

I got curious about Japanese reception as well. The only resources I know that really have user reviews are Wazap and Amazon. There were't reviews for all of these, but I made links and listed scores for all the "terrible" games. (EDIT: I'll try to do the same for the other tiers, but this is surprisingly time consuming.) I think it goes without saying that the Wazap user scores trend high. Sorry for the Google Translate, but I'm not going to translate all these reviews, lol. I translated the first, short one because Google Translate sucks. I'd recommend clicking the links to get an "impression" of the comments though.

Cyber Knight (サイバーナイト)

- Wazap
"Average I Guess, lol? - Yeah, it's fairly interesting, lol." (score 60/100)
Overall user score based on 7 users (88.6/100)
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... F253857%2F

- Amazon 3.7/5
Amazon: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... eviews857/

Fist of the North Star 5 (北斗の拳5)

- Wazap
Overall user score based on 5 users (78.4/100)
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... reviews%2F

- Amazon 2/5
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %25BC%2595

3x3 EYES 聖魔降臨伝

- Amazon 3.6/5
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %25BC%259D

Light Fantasy (ライト・ファンタジー)

- Amazon 2.6/5
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %2583%25BC

Dual Orb (デュアルオーブ)

- Wazap
No reviews but an 86/100 user score based on two users

- Amazon 1/5
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... %2583%2596

The Devil takes notes from Lina Inverse? That sounds about right.

My projects
RHDN Community DB

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 3:07 am 

There are other sites like 2ch archives, https://www26.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/, and other individual sites (all in Japanese of course).

But it's hard to get a whole lot of information on 25 year old games -- sometimes you can find the Famitsu review scores here and there.

Also there can be nostalgia confusion -- I've been very open that I'm judging these games from 2018, not when they were originally released. I can't say what I would have thought of a game like Dual Orb if I had played it in 1993 when it first came out. I certainly had a lot more motivation to play bad games since I could only get a few games a year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next