Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi, guys!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:11 pm 

Wow, blast from the past!

An old friend recently passed me news about a recent Dragon Quest II launch for iOS/Android, and I randomly thought about our old unfinished Taloon's Great Adventure translation, wondering what ever happened to that project. A couple Google searches later and lo and behold, I discover this newly-formed group that's been active for a number of years now!

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to all of the old names I recognize here. Back when I worked with some of you as a teenager, I never could have imagined how lasting a community this romhacking stuff would remain. I can't believe you guys are still pumping out new projects! My hat's off to you for keeping this great thing going strong.

For me, rom hacking was really my first entry into programming, such a formative experience for me. (For anyone who has ever tried to use or read Thingy's QBasic source, my fifteen-year-old self apologizes profusely for his spaghetti code and lack of comments!). Now that my life experience has literally doubled since then, I work in San Francisco as an engineer at a small non-profit called Code.org where we help teach computer science to children across the country through open-source, web-based coding tutorials. I also just recently completed a PhD in Comparative Literature (which I started in 2005) and I'm looking to fill my newly-acquired free time with some interesting side projects, so do keep me posted if there's anything interesting coming down the pipe - or if any old, long-lost projects could possibly benefit from a quick search of my old hard drive backups!

Cheers,
Will (aka necrosaro)

Post subject: Re: Hi, guys!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hey, Necrosaro, been a long while. Glad you're doing well. We all have the issue of time constraints these days a lot more than we did back in the past which slows us more than we'd like, but we're still trying to plod along where we can. Sadly, Taloon has never reached the 1.00 mark but it got pretty close, a few small unfinished issues that don't effect playability still remain. Maybe someday it will get there. If you get the chance, pick up something that has come out since you've been away and give it a spin (assuming you still enjoy playing classic games in general and RPG's more specifically.) Doesn't necessarily have to be from us, there are a lot of great choices including quite a few completed playstation translations even.

And before I forget, congrats on the PhD. Good hearing from you.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 am 

You'd be a cool person to interview for a romhacking podcast. Although I realize not everyone is comfortable with that sort of thing.

http://ettugamer.com/2014/08/18/romhacking-histories-2/
http://ettugamer.com/2014/10/06/romhacking-histories-3/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:40 am 
Site Admin

necrosaro wrote:
Wow, blast from the past!

An old friend recently passed me news about a recent Dragon Quest II launch for iOS/Android, and I randomly thought about our old unfinished Taloon's Great Adventure translation, wondering what ever happened to that project. A couple Google searches later and lo and behold, I discover this newly-formed group that's been active for a number of years now!

Just wanted to pop in and say hi to all of the old names I recognize here. Back when I worked with some of you as a teenager, I never could have imagined how lasting a community this romhacking stuff would remain. I can't believe you guys are still pumping out new projects! My hat's off to you for keeping this great thing going strong.

For me, rom hacking was really my first entry into programming, such a formative experience for me. (For anyone who has ever tried to use or read Thingy's QBasic source, my fifteen-year-old self apologizes profusely for his spaghetti code and lack of comments!). Now that my life experience has literally doubled since then, I work in San Francisco as an engineer at a small non-profit called Code.org where we help teach computer science to children across the country through open-source, web-based coding tutorials. I also just recently completed a PhD in Comparative Literature (which I started in 2005) and I'm looking to fill my newly-acquired free time with some interesting side projects, so do keep me posted if there's anything interesting coming down the pipe - or if any old, long-lost projects could possibly benefit from a quick search of my old hard drive backups!

Cheers,
Will (aka necrosaro)

Well, well, well. Seeing your name makes me think about my first start at coding.
It also makes me think about tokimeki memorial and the time munching dumper!
Thingy's code is how I got my start with Hexedit???? Can't remember the name of my
own hex editors anymore. Anyway, I was surprised I was able to read that code. Great
to see you are still around and productive at that. I have heard of Code.org but have not
visited it in a while. I guess I should check it out. Don't get that itch! It can't be hard to
leave again once it sucks you back in! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:18 pm 

Bongo` wrote:
Well, well, well. Seeing your name makes me think about my first start at coding.
Thingy's code is how I got my start with Hexedit???? Can't remember the name of my
own hex editors anymore.

WindHex?
Still my primary hex editor.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:16 am 
Site Admin

Yay! I always love it when old faces (names) pop by for a chat! I totally remember you, but I'm not sure if we had the opportunity to really correspond much back then. I'm really glad to hear about all your successes, though, and I wish you many, many more.

You did mention maybe wanting to get involved in some "side projects"... Anything you have in mind? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:21 am 
Site Admin

KingMike wrote:
Bongo` wrote:
own hex editors anymore.

WindHex?
Still my primary hex editor.

Nah, i wrote a DOS hexeditor in Qbasic years before windhex. It was a cool editor at the time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Will,

Good to hear from you. Say, do you still want to finish TnD?

About the only thing I need initially is a mind jog on how to load your dedicated-thingy insertion program and make it execute a simple dialogue change. Seems a short note I had once with the instructions written on it for the command line structure got separated from my archives.

Actually, about all we need to do is a title page hack. Bongo` and I started to work on that post-Lennus-II, then Mystic Ark took off, and we never got back to it.

I did have a few edits to update from when Draken beta-tested it back about 2008 or 9. The only bugs I recall we're in the bonus game. Some of the loaded items applied only to the bonus game, but when we clicked on a handful of them, the game froze. Those could probably be fixed at some point, but an English title page will earn a V100 for the main game and warrant a re-release.

Congrats on your doctorate! My younger son has one year of doctoral studies behind him at the Univ. of Maryland College Park, but he took a leave of absence to perform with a Miami Beach symphony for 3 or 4 years.

Good luck in your chosen profession!

-Bill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:05 am 

necrosaro wrote:
so do keep me posted if there's anything interesting coming down the pipe - or if any old, long-lost projects could possibly benefit from a quick search of my old hard drive backups!

Oh hey, it's necro! Neat! :D Good to see you, and glad to see that you're doing well!

On this topic, there's always this... which should be out in the next couple of days ;)

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!