Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Strategy is key...
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:45 pm 

This time I would like to present some very unique and fun strategy RPGs for the SFC that to my knowledge have yet to be worked on.

ImageImage

First Queen: Ornic Senki, is a very unique game that received a makeover on the sfc by Culture brain. It was originally made by Kure Software Koubou on the Sharp x68000. The sfc version got a complete upgrade.

To me the visual and sound appeal is there although it isn't top notch like some other translated sfc games. The real magic with this game is its gameplay. Essentially you have a squad of troops to start and move around on a beautifully gorgeous mode 7 map which I absolutely love. There are forts, castles, towns, caves, forests, and other locales you can explore.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

You and your troops fight other armies/creatures in real time simultaneously. Your troops that survive level up and grow stronger. Your roster grows in number and in different troop types as does the enemies you face. This allows to have the feeling of epic scale battles happening all at once right in front of you. Of course you have to think about the composition of your unit types and the equipment you give them. What makes it even cooler is that with a press of a button you can switch between the main character and any troop so if you need to switch to an archer to help out your other troops that might be in trouble then you can. It is essentially a war game that has many elements of fantasy and strategy. It can get challenging and different scenarios and quest elements are present throughout. It is a very unique and fun game that seems to be relatively unknown and I hope that it gets more attention and someone will give this a chance one day.

Here is a video of the games intro and beginning gameplay
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LRuAvFEIu5c

Next up is Genjuu Ryodan.

ImageImage
ImageImage

This is another strategy RPG largely unknown although it has some very dedicated fans. I really can't talk about this game any better than Chronomoogle so please check out the review he did on Hardcore gaming 101. http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/genjuu ... ryodan.htm

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

As the pictures suggest, this is a very complex and robust strategy RPG that quickly becomes addicting. Those who know Genjuu praise it as being one of the best strategy RPGs for the sfc. Although I personally haven't played past the first few levels I would love to play it in English and give it a good play through. It's setup much like the next game I'll present where you need to gather resources on the map and take over the enemy stronghold or wipe them out. There are a lot of different unit types that do all kinds of different things besides just attacking. It really does look great and like Chronomoogle, I hope it gets much more attention so be sure to check out his article above for more info.

Here's a video of the intro and map 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXk-Z7LlRe4

This next game needs little introduction. Super Famicom Wars!

ImageImage
ImageImage

Well, I don't feel I need to go too in depth but this game is awesome. It's got humorous fun and is very addicting. Some say this game was better than the GBA entry of the series. I know people have attempted to translate this game in the past but, to this day there hasn't been one completed surprisingly. If there was ever a strategy game deserving of a translation, this would be it. It's completely playable without being in English though, but still. :P

Here's a video showing it off
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vYtUlkCUU

Im sure there are a lot of people constantly requesting this one and I'm sure it will get done eventually but, I wonder who will be the one to finally do it.....?

Post subject: Re: Strategy is key...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Very nice! Thanks again for bringing these games to our attention. I would never have known about them otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:23 am 
Site Admin

Very well presented and summarized. Always a pleasure. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:54 am 

Wasn't someone working on First Queen in the past? It seems very familiar.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:51 pm 

I don't know about the past but, I did look it up and to my delight found someone over at RHDN who is currently. He seems to be persevering though it looks like he could use some hacking assistance. Anyone out there willing to lend him a hand? :D

Here is his thread at RHDN where you can follow his work/progress.
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... 498.0.html

Seriously though I hope he can see it through. First Queen is a unique one-of-a-kind title in the snes library that can be quite fun.