Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Witches, Armor, and Dice...oh my!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:13 pm 

Usually, Dual Orb 2 is considered as mediocre and the prequel as a kusoge by Japanese retro-gamers. I tried it and can only confirm his reputation. The presentation sucks, the pacing is horrible and the battles system is completely uninspired.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:42 pm 

I told Nightcrawler back in the day I might be interested if I had played through the game first. I think I got like 60-75% (if I judge by a walkthrough he sent me) before I got bored and quit. Indeed it was your fairly typical RPG, two fighter-ish characters plus one guy who knows all the attack magic and another that knows all the healing. I recall needing quite a bit of grinding to survive.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:40 pm 
Site Admin

I see. What about the graphics, music and story? Were they any good? I'm guessing that they might not quite match those of the second game, but perhaps it shines in a certain area. I've played a fair number of games in my time that were not exactly the best, but had something about them that at least sort of made up for its short comings. I'm mainly interested in playing Dual Orb to see how well the story connects to the second game. But yes, at first glance, it doesn't look like the best RPG...

On a different note, what about Black Matrix Zero for the GBA? Has anyone here ever played that game? From what I've seen, it looks very similar to Tactics Ogre, but with a shorter story (from what I've heard anyways). The only patch that exists has only some of the menu and names/items/spells translated, but nothing else. That's not exactly playable...

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 pm 

If the game is like Tactics Ogre, it would be a great choice. I'm still hoping that the last Ogre Battle game will get translated, apparently some work has been done on it and there used to be a fair amount of translated material on the web including I think some dialog.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons