Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Milandra/Ihatovo/Gokinjo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:36 pm 

With all of the requests in this thread I figured I might as well throw in my bit.

I would like to bring to your attention a rouge like RPG similar to your other mostly completed Taloon project. The major difference though is that in this game you actually get a party which is essential in the game. It's really a unique concept to the sfc. It looks good and seems like a lot of fun. It's called Milandra.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Here's a link to a video
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gl820_uOoG4

You can have up to 3 different party members at a time. It's described as being difficult and having a balanced party is a must. I believe Disenquick worked on this way back but never finished it and disappeared.

I also recently discovered another sfc game that's more of an adventure type.
It's called Ihatovo Monogatari.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CORtxvgCnLo

It seems to have a certain charm about it. Those who are familiar with it hail its sound as sublime for the SFC. This is not a typical game adventure game though. There are no bosses and fighting. Instead there is exploration and problem solving to advance the game. This would be a big turnoff for many which is why is probably hasn't resonated in the western world as much. For the japanese though, this game has much more meaning. Its based off a very popular children's book author and the game explores many of his works. I for one would love to have a go at this in english some day. It's charm, music, and visual appeal lead me to believe that many who give this one a chance might be pleasantly surprised and may even want to further explore the history which made this game come to be.

I cant say any better than the article below. It's a review I stumbled that not only talks about the game but, also talks about the author and really does a good job into analyzing the purpose and subtlety of the games tones and connections. I really recommend anyone who is remotely interested or curious about Ihatovo to check out this article. It is a great read.
https://medium.com/@SuperFamicomGuy/the ... cc0b5617f7

Lastly I present Gokinjo Boukentai.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

This also looks very interesting and fun. Ill let the more enlightening article do the talking.

http://www.gamingsanctuary.com/GokinjoBoukentai.html

Well there you have it. I thought I would share this in the hopes that maybe one day we'll also see these games pass the language barrier as well. I know you guys have a full plate now but maybe in the future you might consider picking one up. I welcome any and all discussion on these games. Thanks again for all you guys do.

PS: About Taloon, have you guys decided to finish that game with the title screen and bugs left to squash?

Happy and safe Fourth of July everyone!

Edit: I thought I would update this post a little to be more informative.

Last edited by Implicid on Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Milandra/Ihatovo/Gokinjo
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 pm 

I sent Ritchie a script dump to Gokinjou a few years ago but never heard anything of it.
(the same guy who did Burning Heroes, I think it was, for DD and also known as the "SFC RPG FAQs" guy for his GameFAQs contributions :) )

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:42 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for bringing those games to our attention. I personally feel that the number of SNES RPGs worth translated is quickly diminishing, but it's always great to get "requests" in order to check out new games.

Implicid wrote:
PS: About Taloon, have you guys decided to finish that game with the title screen and bugs left to squash?

/looks over at WildBill, Taskforce, Bongo`...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:49 am 
Site Admin

Draken wrote:
Thanks for bringing those games to our attention. I personally feel that the number of SNES RPGs worth translated is quickly diminishing, but it's always great to get "requests" in order to check out new games.

Implicid wrote:

/looks over at WildBill, Taskforce, Bongo`...
Bongo` and I were actually almost looking at the unfinished TnD parts a few years ago. Then, one fine morning, he said he had cracked Mystic Ark overnight, and we got rolling on that.

Then, a few years ago, Garrett and I discussed some possibilities with TnD. Later, we both got wrapped up in our respective work and went in other directions.

Then, Bongo` and I looked at Milandra for a brief time before choosing to concentrate on other work such as Silva Saga-II, Burning Heroes, and yet other projects. Milandra is an action RPG, if I'm not mistaken. I played a bit of its beginning a few years ago. I seem to recall being in a spooky, stormy gothic-style mansion with a lot of rooms having ghostly-type foes and treasure chests to open here and yon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:44 am 

I can tell you that Ihatovo Monogatari is based on the works of author Kenji Miyazawa. I played through a bit of it, and honestly it was pretty boring.

Gokinjo Boukentai, on the other hand, looks adorable! I wish I had time to translate it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:32 pm 

Well hopefully someone will pick up Gokinjo at some point. IT does look like it would be a fun and silly departure from the serious save-the-world RPG's.

As far as Ihatovo Monogatari goes, yeah I have heard it can be bland at times but overall is above average for an adventure game and the charm and music more than makes up for it. That's what I have been told anyway. Someone on romhacking.net has already translated the script for it so if a hacker was interested maybe it could see the light of day.

Here is a link to the post of that inividual if anyone here was interested in reaching him about his translated scripts for which there are several. See the list posted by Tashi further down.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg261887

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 5:40 pm 

Wildbill wrote:
Then, Bongo` and I looked at Milandra for a brief time before choosing to concentrate on other work such as Silva Saga-II, Burning Heroes, and yet other projects. Milandra is an action RPG, if I'm not mistaken. I played a bit of its beginning a few years ago. I seem to recall being in a spooky, stormy gothic-style mansion with a lot of rooms having ghostly-type foes and treasure chests to open here and yon.

It's a Rouge-like RPG, like Mystery Dungeon, as I recall.
I know Disnesquick (the guy who released a patch for Energy Breaker for the SNES after over a decade of work) was working on it, but I don't know the status.
Anyone who remembers his website will remember it is very... bizarre, to say the least. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:24 am 

Quote:
Anyone who remembers his website will remember it is very... bizarre, to say the least.

I absolutely know what you mean.
When I first went there I thought there was something wrong with my browser. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:41 pm 

Gokinjo is a very very good RPG with lots of unique features and a lot of charme. Technically it's far from being programmed well (you get slowdowns when you run) and the game is very easy (there is technically no game over) but it's multiple story paths, beautiful presentation & soundtrack, as well as it's unique leveling system and setting make more than up for it. I already played all the way through it after I bought my copy in Akiba about 2 years ago.

About Ihatovo:
This can be considered more art than game. However, that shouldn't be considered as a bad thing. lytron already disassembled big parts of the game and with a little more effort put into it, he might be able to hack it very easily in the near future. You can cheer him on on his blog:
http://pantalytron.com/blog7.php/games/ ... onogatari/

As you can see, he already disassembled the game for 179 real time-hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:12 pm 

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing! Hopefully Gokinjo will reach some able hands and we'll have another unique and fun title added to the english collection of SFC RPGs. :D