Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Milandra/Ihatovo/Gokinjo
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:33 pm 

Implicid wrote:
That is a good question and one I'm not smart enough to answer. I don't think it to be impossible though. Look at what Bongo did for ONI. It would just take the right person with the right skill who has a love for these kind of games.

Oh yeah ONI was hacked to make it horizontal that's true but, this specific game has one box vertical and the other one horizontal so my best guess of doing that is how ka-ga-ze fighting game on the Sega Genesis has done it. Like make the English text vertical but have it readable as possible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:35 pm 

Yeah, I don't think those games were designed to accommodate horizontal text. Sure you can it to be hack the vertical to be horizontal, but then you also have to deal with the other @#$% on the screen and it doesn't look possible to me unless you make like a transparent text box or something.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:45 pm 

Garrett wrote:
Yeah, I don't think those games were designed to accommodate horizontal text. Sure you can it to be hack the vertical to be horizontal, but then you also have to deal with the other @#$% on the screen and it doesn't look possible to me unless you make like a transparent text box or something.

Here's the example to how we can possibly do it

I know it's a bit difficult reading it but personally that's my closes guess onto how it could be done, and of course have them in different lettering e.g times new square type style tho something more fitting to the game. ;-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:47 pm 

Well to me if you switched the text boxes and then the option or smaller box text routine was able to be switched then I could see that happening. Of course you would need a smaller VWF there. The other option is possibly like your saying it would have to be vertical in the smaller box which would be weird but readable with a nice font. I'm not a hacker so I'm not speaking from any expertise.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:08 pm 

Implicid wrote:
Well to me if you switched the text boxes and then the option or smaller box text routine was able to be switched then I could see that happening. Of course you would need a smaller VWF there. The other option is possibly like your saying it would have to be vertical in the smaller box which would be weird but readable with a nice font. I'm not a hacker so I'm not speaking from any expertise.

Yeah i was actually of thinking the same too by switching the text boxes around if that was very possible, and i definitely agree with having a fittable VWF as it'll perfect the text from the center and such i guess.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:59 pm 

Of course it can be done!
It's just a matter of someone wanting to.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:26 pm 

KingMike wrote:
Of course it can be done!
It's just a matter of someone wanting to.

Oh seriously?! Well if that's the case, does anyone happen to have any interest in this game? I'm interested :mrgreen: but i don't think everyone else would since they're probably busy with other projects and i understand

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:46 am 

Draken wrote:
Thanks for bringing those games to our attention. I personally feel that the number of SNES RPGs worth translated is quickly diminishing, but it's always great to get "requests" in order to check out new games.

Implicid wrote:
PS: About Taloon, have you guys decided to finish that game with the title screen and bugs left to squash?

/looks over at WildBill, Taskforce, Bongo`...

drools, maybe this will make it seem like the list is not diminishing so quick..

The description of the game is borrowed from youtube. It is long, so I put it in spoilers in case you just want to see the video.

Spoiler! :
Traverse:S&P is a deep RPG. The fighting isn't overly complex, but the general gameplay mechanics are very technical in nature. Traverse is like a combination of Romancing SaGa and Harvest Moon with a dash of Ogre Battle. The game oddly enough has some English dialogue in the game. Besides items and menus being almost entirely English, the short intro that describes the moral of the story is in English (or Engrish) with Japanese subtitles.

This game offers a great deal of freedom and exploration (even more so than the Romancing SaGa titles) and there is no leveling system. Instead, you build your abilities through repeatedly using them and gain the majority of your stats through events and miscellanous actions. For example, you may reach a library and read a book, which can raise your intelligence or wisdom. As the intro suggests, this game isn't just sending the message to journey, it encourages it, as you'll only get the best ending through clearing most of the games events.

Where does Harvest Moon come in? The micromanagement. This game moves in what one could probably call semi-realtime. The time of day changes as well as the weather and seasons. Not only that, but your characters age and some characters change cosmetically as they get older. Magic is affected by weather and the sun and moon. For example, Light magic is stronger at day while dark magic is stronger at night. Water magic is more powerful when it rains and fire magic is weaker when it's wet, etc. Oh yeah, this game has many different endings through the "Marriage System". Wha?

Yup, like Harvest Moon, you can marry females you meet on your travels if certain requirements are met, and there are a lot of strange characters in this game. A lot of them are useless (such as a cook) or have very limited uses. Some others can't really fight and their sole purpose is to be wed. The strange thing is, once you're capable of marrying after a certain amount of time, you can end the game whenever you like through Marriage, which gives the game a rather unusual edge. The developers knew that the game could get long and drawn-out, so you can end your journey as you see fit. This also means that there are a lot of endings in this game. However, the best ending revolves once again around journeying the heck out of the game and then marrying Sonia, the main heroine (the only one you name).

Navigation in this game is a combination of traditional (isometric?) travelling, "flat" travelling, and map travelling, where you move your character SLOWLY across the map by positioning his location like you would a unit in Ogre Battle. Areas typically have to be discovered before you can enter them, but you have a useful map that can toggle between different modes. One mode highlights quest areas (if you have any available). You can also jump to different regions later to save time. Moving moves time in forward at varying intervals. When you're in normal areas, time moves fairly slow. When you're travelling on the map, time moves very quickly (to somewhat demonstrate how large the world is) and time even moves when you're standing still and doing nothing, but very slowly.

The last thing I want to talk about are the battles. They're pretty straightforward. Characters have magic, summons, and special skills that they can use which differ depending on the many different weapons one can be proficient in. Swords, Spears, Axes, Staffs, Bows, Claws, Whips, etc. Magic is stored up a bit like the original Final Fantasy or Suikoden series in the sense that it is very finite. Special skills consume FP. Characters take turns fighting, though speed and other issues can result in getting more than one attack in a row. The icons are pretty self-explanatory and you can gain items and new skills and such after battles. The game may look easy in this video, but it's not.

This video shows snippets of the town, the map, and the battles from the beginning of the game to handling Sonia's request. At the end, I demonstrate that you can even fight when standing still, as time is always moving except in menus. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPdrogEOHh4

I also think Far east of eden looks amazing, but does not seem to have any action these days.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:00 am 

The way you described Traverse Starlight & Pairare kinda reminded me of Princess Maker series