Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Navigating our site with a smartphone
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:27 pm 
Site Admin

I'm having trouble with drop down menus. Other phone features get in the way such as share photo,etc.Does anyone know how to deal with this? Of course I'm having similar problems with CNNSI.

Post subject: Re: Navigating our site with a smartphone
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Depends on the type of phone, you could try Firefox if you are on an android phone.

If this is an iphone, don't have a clue.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:39 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
Depends on the type of phone, you could try Firefox if you are on an android phone.

If this is an iphone, don't have a clue.
Mine's Windows 8. So, you're Android on everything, are you? Tablet and phone?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:07 am 
Site Admin

I use Android on my phone. No idea if there is a firefox for windows 8 mobile. My tablet is Windows 8 Pro.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:54 am 
Site Admin

taskforce wrote:
I use Android on my phone. No idea if there is a firefox for windows 8 mobile. My tablet is Windows 8 Pro.
What make/model Win8 tablet did you buy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:34 am 
Site Admin

Site works fine on iOS.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:15 am 
Site Admin

Wildbill wrote:
taskforce wrote:

Lenovo Ideapad K3 Lynx K3011.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaTab-Ly ... eapad+lynx

Best bang for the buck. And I paid more than this. Though, I don't think they ship with win 8 pro now so just plain win 8 or whatever. The other lenovo tablet was supposed to have pro, (Thinkpad Tablet 2) but mine had Pro. Donno why. (Even though it said just win 8 too when I bought it) At any rate, avoid Win 8 RT whatever you do :)

The display puts the cheaper Acer's to shame. its 11.6 inches. And its an IPS Panel. The Acers are not. Its also a brighter higher nit display (400 nits). The Acers were 300 or 350.

Compared to the ASUS its pretty comparable, but the ASUS is much higher for similar specs.

And you'd definitely need a Moko case to go with it.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Lenovo-IdeaT ... eapad+lynx

One final thing, the Lenovo has a battery in the docking station. Giving it double battery life in that configuration. Almost nobody else does this. (I do not have a docking station for mine.)

Final verdict, I love my tablet, but don't expect to do a lot of productive typing with an on screen keyboard. Great for many MANY other tasks though. And know that windows can be wonky with certain touch things. Not a drawback of windows, mostly a drawback of old programs not designed for touch screen use. Can't blame Windows 8 for that flaw.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:35 am 
Site Admin

Okay, I'm looking this unit over to see what I can do with it beyond what I can accomplish on a windows 8 phone. You already mentioned one important feature - adding a usb gamepad for emulator play. While browsing, I noticed a Lenovo docking unit compatible with this tablet that includes a keyboard, but the raters have complained that it's cheaply built and the keyboard skips a lot. That means I couldn't do my writing work on the run using a lousy keyboard. However, someone else mentioned that this tablet is also compatible with a blue tooth keyboard of some kind.

So, what's your take on the external keyboard issue with this tablet? It would be useless to me if I couldn't type on it with an external, as efficiently and trouble-free as using a small HP business laptop running XP, for example. I did a lot of Burning Heroes work once while on a train to New York City, but a tablet would take up much less space in my kit.

taskforce wrote:
Wildbill wrote:
taskforce wrote:

Lenovo Ideapad K3 Lynx K3011.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-IdeaTab-Ly ... eapad+lynx

Best bang for the buck. And I paid more than this. Though, I don't think they ship with win 8 pro now so just plain win 8 or whatever. The other lenovo tablet was supposed to have pro, (Thinkpad Tablet 2) but mine had Pro. Donno why. (Even though it said just win 8 too when I bought it) At any rate, avoid Win 8 RT whatever you do :)

The display puts the cheaper Acer's to shame. its 11.6 inches. And its an IPS Panel. The Acers are not. Its also a brighter higher nit display (400 nits). The Acers were 300 or 350.

Compared to the ASUS its pretty comparable, but the ASUS is much higher for similar specs.

And you'd definitely need a Moko case to go with it.

http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Lenovo-IdeaT ... eapad+lynx

One final thing, the Lenovo has a battery in the docking station. Giving it double battery life in that configuration. Almost nobody else does this. (I do not have a docking station for mine.)

Final verdict, I love my tablet, but don't expect to do a lot of productive typing with an on screen keyboard. Great for many MANY other tasks though. And know that windows can be wonky with certain touch things. Not a drawback of windows, mostly a drawback of old programs not designed for touch screen use. Can't blame Windows 8 for that flaw.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 am 
Site Admin

I honestly can't comment on the dock. I didn't buy one for mine. I simply wanted a tablet. Couldn't afford both either. The great thing about the dock is that it doubles battery life. So that is definitely a plus. It adds 2 full sized USB ports as well. I'd imagine the dock isn't as terrible as people make it out to be, it probably just doesn't feel as sturdy as an actual laptop. But a tablet dock really shouldn't be compared to a laptop anyway. Yes, you can use bluetooth devices with this unit. That is what I use for a gamepad, but then you can probably use bluetooth with your phone and use a gamepad on it. But then you're dealing with that dinky screen. You could use a USB setup too. With a wireless set or something, but that kinda gets complicated without a place to set the tablet and hold the keyboard. A dock makes things easier in that it attaches directly.

There are probably devices with better docks (but much more expensive too.) You might check out the ASUS Vivotab Smart.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivotab-Office-ME ... us+vivotab

This is supposed to have a better dock, but its $140 dollars more (before the dock.) The dock is cheaper but doesn't include a second battery doubling battery life. So there are trade-offs compared to the lenovo. You can check out the lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2. Its supposed to be sturdier with a much better dock, but again, much higher priced.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T ... ovo+tablet

http://www.amazon.com/ThinkPad-Tablet-1 ... d+tablet+2

First link has a stylus, second link doesn't. The non-stylus version cannot have a stylus added at a later time. It isn't built for use with one.

Though, you might just be better off with a convertible laptop for game related work or even a netbook, but this baby's battery life will definitely beat most of those. And its typically lighter than those. I had uses beyond game related work. Having eye problems, this was the perfect fit for me for the things I needed it for.

Again, I don't recommend this for game related work anyway. The dock might change that but I don't own it.

But, I do recommend this for other things. Reading, surfing the web (without having most sites default to mobile versions), full flash support, gaming (well emulation gaming), viewing e-mail, and especially being able to work with programs you already know and use. This isn't just true of this tablet, this would hold true of any tablet. If you want to be productive, you need a dock. And I definitely wouldn't recommend anything with those flat docks like the surface uses for example.