Hoping to make your life's design a bit more dynamic!

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The forum
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

OK, so you've been using the forum now for a while. And although I still need to get some tweaks done, what I want to know right now is. After seeing things in action. How do you feel about the category situation. Do you like how it is now, or do you still think we should slim it down some and have less categories to post to? Like combining all active projects to one forum and completed projects into one forum? I got a sneaking suspicion that after some of you not used to phpbb have used it a while, that you don't find the amount of categories nearly as scary as you first thought. Considering that you get alerted when something has new posts.

Post subject: Re: The forum
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:43 pm 

I'm fine with the organizational chain as it is now.
Condensing it too much would get no less confusing than branching out unnecessarily, so new catergories should be made
when and if needed, but I don't think its a matter of less at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

It's still too soon for me to get a definite idea, but right now I sort of like all of the categories being there, even if some remain at zero for a while. Later, we might just keep major project boards going independently and consolidate the sparsely-used boards into one labeled Other Completed Projects or some such, especially if our numbers of releases increase to a level that becomes unwieldy. Also, we could consider putting games in a series on one board, such as Destiny of an Emperor and Albert Odyssey, especially after all of the patches are released.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:55 am 

I pretty much agree with Wildbill, I think the layout has been fine so far and maybe in the future it will be easier to tell if any reorganization should occur. I think perhaps it might be a good idea to put a topic that is basically a help wanted ad into any of the upcoming game project that details what kind of assistance might be needed (translation, beta testing etc.). I know you can do that at RHDN but they tend to get lost in the mix more quickly there because of the volume of traffic there.

Winston Churchill in response to forming an alliance with the Soviet Union during World War 2:
If Hitler invaded Hell I would make at least a favorable reference to the devil in the House of Commons

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:05 am 
Site Admin

I agree, the layout is good the way it is now. Having a compressed "completed projects" and "on-going projects" section might save space, but it will be harder to find and answer specific questions about whichever game a person is talking about.

"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind."
- Edward D. Morrison (Tales of Phantasia)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:20 am 

I'd actually be in favor of slimming it down quite a bit, personally.

If it were me, I'd consolidate all of the games into one category (call it "Our Projects" or something), then split it by Game Discussion, Technical Discussion, Troubleshooting, etc. I'm not sure exactly how long this board's been up but it looks pretty... empty. You only have eight threads across 22 forums, you know?

Aeon Genesis ~ Guns guns guns! Yar ho hee har har!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Admin

Gideon Zhi wrote:
I'd actually be in favor of slimming it down quite a bit, personally.

If it were me, I'd consolidate all of the games into one category (call it "Our Projects" or something), then split it by Game Discussion, Technical Discussion, Troubleshooting, etc. I'm not sure exactly how long this board's been up but it looks pretty... empty. You only have eight threads across 22 forums, you know?

One thing I have found myself doing is scanning the forum for what I want to check on. I did notice that the many project categories can be a bit much. I was thinking of a good format for the projects pages to be in. And I think "Completed" and "In Progress" would be cool. Similar toi how it is setup on the main page's menu system.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:59 pm 
Site Admin

I have to agree with Gid and Bongo`...